Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the P worth 11-17k more than the 85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My CPO 2015 85D should land in about 2 weeks. it has only 14k miles.

To move up to a P85D we are able to get same options as the 85D plus few more. We would lose a model year. both P85Ds are 2014 w/AP1 with 30k miles. Both CPO with SC

So resell, power, and a few options would it be worth the 11-17k difference.

Like to get some opinions from owners

TIA

Reactions: Jashev
I would agree with JonG. Unless you are really into speed, the performance difference for normal drivers is negligible. My MS 85 has more than I would ever really use. In fact, I find I drive much more conservatively with the Tesla than I do with my alternative cars enjoying the range game.

Reactions: Indpowr
I agree with the above posters. My 85D is damn stout when it comes to acceleration, far closer to the P85D than you might think. P90Ds, and Ludicrous models add enough to be quite noticeably faster, but I wouldn't pay 11K-17K for P85D over 85D.

I would say stick with the regular 85D and just hope you never get a P for a loaner :)

I have a P85 and I did notice the difference immediately vs the S85 loaner I had even at lower speeds. Dunno what the performance differential is for the D cars, but it was significant for the classics.

Even with that factor, I wouldnt pay that much for the P upgrade. Mine was only $4000 more than the original S I ordered, so well worth it for me. I don't think the P holds its value that well.

Don't forget that you're also paying more in terms of consumables - tires. Since you most likely will have staggered tires with the P, there goes rotation and you're more likely to have bent, curb rash rims in addition to popped tires from pot holes. What's the general consensus on how long stock 21" tires last?

Don't forget that you're also paying more in terms of consumables - tires. Since you most likely will have staggered tires with the P, there goes rotation and you're more likely to have bent, curb rash rims in addition to popped tires from pot holes. What's the general consensus on how long stock 21" tires last?

This is quite a bit of hearsay and TMC urban legend.. people keep repeating it, and sure, those things have happened, but I really don't think they are the norm.

I've had a P85+ for three years on 21" rims in the pothole laden Northeast, and have never had a bent rim or popped tire. Also, my tire wear is no more than average once I ditched the stock and crappy Michelin PS2s for Hankooks which have been fantastic. We also really only hear when people have problems, there are very few threads: "Hey, I've had 21" rims and tires and not a single problem!". So the perception of problems far outweighs the reality.

Also, curb rash is a function of the driver, not the rims.

• Informative
Reactions: Joelc and Indpowr
I have the 85D. It feels significantly faster than the non D 85. I would not trade the 20 miles of range for the increased 0-20mph acceleration of the P85D. Now the P100D, that car is a beast. Still I cannot wrap my head around the $100,000 difference that it would cost me to upgrade to a P100D.

This is quite a bit of hearsay and TMC urban legend.. people keep repeating it, and sure, those things have happened, but I really don't think they are the norm.

I've had a P85+ for three years on 21" rims in the pothole laden Northeast, and have never had a bent rim or popped tire. Also, my tire wear is no more than average once I ditched the stock and crappy Michelin PS2s for Hankooks which have been fantastic. We also really only hear when people have problems, there are very few threads: "Hey, I've had 21" rims and tires and not a single problem!". So the perception of problems far outweighs the reality.

Also, curb rash is a function of the driver, not the rims.
Fair enough. How many miles do you get on a set of 21" tires then? Sure curb rash has a lot to do with the driver but you can't always expect them to be perfect. So my point is that 19" tires are less susceptible to being curbed and allows for more leeway to an imperfect driver.

It would be easy to park further away from curbs but I have received a ticket for touching a line parking on the street so that is not an option for some.

And if you should ever need to replace the rim, the 19" is significantly cheaper than 21" for OEM.

About 100 HP. the P85 can light up the rear tires off the line. the S85 cannot :(

Yep, on the non D models the performance is governed by the motor, the P being significantly bigger. On the D models the performance is largely down to the battery which is the same, hence why performance is do similar (the figures suggest they hold the non P back a touch). The P with the bigger rear motor can also put more power to the rear off the line hence it's quicker, but once moving that advantage goes down and the power can go out though all 4 wheels. . Ludicrous raises the battery limit giving more overall.

• Informative
Reactions: Indpowr
Fair enough. How many miles do you get on a set of 21" tires then?

I switch to 19" rims for the winter, but I'd estimate that I have about 20,000 miles on my 21" Hankooks.. I could squeeze another 2-3k out of them. I'll like replace them this summer (if my P85+ hasn't sold by then: FOR SALE HERE: 2013 P85+, Loaded, Extended Warranty, 8-year Service Plan )

So my point is that 19" tires are less susceptible to being curbed and allows for more leeway to an imperfect driver.

I guess I'm missing something here, why are 19" rims less susceptible to curb rash? If you hit the curb, it's going to mark the rim regardless of that extra 1" of radius. Now some tires offer a little ridge of rubber for rim protection, but that could be on either 19" or 21" rims.

And if you should ever need to replace the rim, the 19" is significantly cheaper than 21" for OEM.

Well, yeah, you got me there. I'm a good driver and a careful parker, and haven't curbed my rims while still getting close enough to the curb. When I took my car in for service, the SA walked around the car and she said she'd never seen rims in such good shape!

Reactions: Joelc