Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the P worth 11-17k more than the 85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the 85D. It feels significantly faster than the non D 85. I would not trade the 20 miles of range for the increased 0-20mph acceleration of the P85D. Now the P100D, that car is a beast. Still I cannot wrap my head around the $100,000 difference that it would cost me to upgrade to a P100D.

All of these comments around the P85D only having a performance advantage between launch and 20mph are completely false.

Consider the spec - its zero to 60 in 3.2 seconds and the regular 85D is a full second slower...that second is not being captured during zero to 20; its across the span of the speed. We talk like that speed is nothing special but only a handful of cars across the entire spectrum of Hyper cars can claim that. And, Ludacris drops it into a sub 3 second car. Having this car I can tell you that its a HUGE difference...if speed remotely excites you, don't drive this car. It will spoil your experience in the cars that can't achieve this.

Now the cost....well, if you consider Tesla charges 10K to go from Insane to Ludacris which is about half the performance improvement between an 85D and a P85D that gives you some perspective. Then if you consider ice cars and the amount of money people have to pay for far less of a performance gain and it seems like pretty easy value...8K for a cat back exhaust; 5K for an ECM tune etc etc.

Reactions: Godzira
I switch to 19" rims for the winter, but I'd estimate that I have about 20,000 miles on my 21" Hankooks.. I could squeeze another 2-3k out of them. I'll like replace them this summer (if my P85+ hasn't sold by then: FOR SALE HERE: 2013 P85+, Loaded, Extended Warranty, 8-year Service Plan )
Shameless plug! :) I take it you're driving like a grandma? There are people that talk about getting 7-10k miles on their stock tires. Maybe this when there were lots of issues with alignment?

I guess I'm missing something here, why are 19" rims less susceptible to curb rash? If you hit the curb, it's going to mark the rim regardless of that extra 1" of radius. Now some tires offer a little ridge of rubber for rim protection, but that could be on either 19" or 21" rims.
If you haven't noticed the 21" are lower profile so it isn't as forgiving if you touch a curb. And it does boil down to the angle you hit the curb. One that is more parallel to the curb will more likely cause damage.

Not worried about distance.
Plan on adding custom wheels at some point.
Yes, we are speed freaks. I have a TT Vette and wife has 500hp NA HP on her toy.

We really wanted Black Alcantara roof but, its kinda hard to find. Black/Black nappa

So, both P have black Alcantara and air ride which is about only 2 options that are nice plus a few more. As nice as air ride is I know its pretty expensive to fix out of warranty.

Ceramic brakes are nice but on day to day driving they are not the best. They really need to heat up to work well.

Great discussion thats all.

Last edited:
Still no. Above 20mph you'd be hard pushed to notice any performance difference other than higher consumption. P is only significant if you go ludicrous in my opinion.

vbox acceleration curves say that's true but above 45 MPH, not 20.

So no, unless you're a 0-60 junky then losing the range and adding the extra weight and price isn't worth it.

All of these comments around the P85D only having a performance advantage between launch and 20mph are completely false.

Consider the spec - its zero to 60 in 3.2 seconds and the regular 85D is a full second slower...that second is not being captured during zero to 20; its across the span of the speed. We talk like that speed is nothing special but only a handful of cars across the entire spectrum of Hyper cars can claim that. And, Ludacris drops it into a sub 3 second car. Having this car I can tell you that its a HUGE difference...if speed remotely excites you, don't drive this car. It will spoil your experience in the cars that can't achieve this.

Now the cost....well, if you consider Tesla charges 10K to go from Insane to Ludacris which is about half the performance improvement between an 85D and a P85D that gives you some perspective. Then if you consider ice cars and the amount of money people have to pay for far less of a performance gain and it seems like pretty easy value...8K for a cat back exhaust; 5K for an ECM tune etc etc.

Here we go again...

A P85D is not 1s quicker to 60.

Firstly, the 85D is regularily clocked at under 4s. Plenty of YouTube videos showing it.

Secondly the P85D time is with 1' roll out so the equivalent time is about 0.2s slower, not that it could achieve 3.2s

Watch a video of the two head to head and the P car gets an initial jump, but then they stay level pegging.

Or

Somebody has mentioned v box times saying it's only above 45 - ok, I'll stand corrected on that, but that does mean the advantage is reducing from an initial one to none - in other words if there is no advantage at 45, the advantage at 40mph is slight. at 35 slightly more. But floor both cars and within a fraction of a second they're doing the same speed.

Then let's also add at lower states of charge or cold batteries the performance drops off and they get closer still. So in the real world even that small low speed advantage is reduced. These cars have the same battery and are quickly constrained by it, that's why the performance is so similar. The P does deliver a bigger kick, but it's only a kick and not a sustained push that's higher than the non P.

As I said in the my first post, it's only worth going P if you go L.

Last edited:
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Here we go again...

A P85D is not 1s quicker to 60.

Firstly, the 85D is regularily clocked at under 4s. Plenty of YouTube videos showing it.

Secondly the P85D time is with 1' roll out so the equivalent time is about 0.2s slower, not that it could achieve 3.2s

Watch a video of the two head to head and the P car gets an initial jump, but then they stay level pegging.

Or

Somebody has mentioned v box times saying it's only above 45 - ok, I'll stand corrected on that, but that does mean the advantage is reducing from an initial one to none - in other words if there is no advantage at 45, the advantage at 40mph is slight. at 35 slightly more. But floor both cars and within a fraction of a second they're doing the same speed.

Then let's also add at lower states of charge or cold batteries the performance drops off and they get closer still. So in the real world even that small low speed advantage is reduced. These cars have the same battery and are quickly constrained by it, that's why the performance is so similar. The P does deliver a bigger kick, but it's only a kick and not a sustained push that's higher than the non P.

As I said in the my first post, it's only worth going P if you go L.

with all of the variables and justifications, the P is still faster and the difference in worth comes down to your opinion. Its hard to explain the "kick" being worth it to someone who has decided otherwise; almost as difficult as you trying to tell me its not. Zero to 45 is where we spend most of the driving time and where the speed is most fun and frankly an advantage....I want to pass a car to grab a lane...not even a question on whether i can.

You can slice it any way you want but in the end, your measured approach is still an opinion just like mine - and Id say that 0-45mph performance difference is significant and priceless in terms of grins per mile. And, if satisfaction is a measure of "why", Id by the PD over the D all over again.

One thing a early P85D may have is the Next Gen back seats. I had 2014 P85D 85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H24FFP67300 | Tesla for a week as a loaner and it had next gen rear seats. Everyone in my family thought they were more comfortable than my 2014 P85 classic seats (next gens in front were better too). They did not fold flat though...
Disclosure: I got a CPO P after mulling over a bunch of non-Ps and paid a little more for it than I was looking for. I could tell the difference in taking off between P85 and P85D (nonL) especially in the snow/sandy roads.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Here is where I am at for all curious

15 - 85D is 71,000 w/ 14k miles
14 P85D is 82,500 w/ 30k miles has all same options as above plus Black Alcantara, Air Sup, Red Cal.
14 P85D is 87,500 w/ 30k miles has all the same as the other P, plus Next Gen seats, Carbon interior, Dual charges, Sound package

I have been in Next Gen seat Teslas, so I guess I will let the wife seat and drive both to see what she likes.

Good comments.....ty

14 P85D is 82,500 w/ 30k miles has all same options as above plus Black Alcantara, Air Sup, Red Cal.
14 P85D is 87,500 w/ 30k miles has all the same as the other P, plus Next Gen seats, Carbon interior, Dual charges, Sound package

I have been in Next Gen seat Teslas, so I guess I will let the wife seat and drive both to see what she likes.

Good comments.....ty

So a couple of things. First, the 2014 cars had to all come out at the very end of December. I received mine on Dec 24th. There was a mad rush for all sorts of CSAT reasons as well as benefits to their 2014 financial reporting...at the time there was a strike going on at the Oakland Harbor so parts were scattered in terms of their availability - many of us that ordered the next gen seats were getting held up and ended up taking delivery of cars with the rear seats as standard (with an option for a discount or receiving them later). So for all intensive purposes the differences in the year of the car can be measured in days rather than years; Tesla just does this different than the rest of the auto industry.

The last P85D sounds identical to my build - which was somewhere just under $140K new. Those options were pricy (dual chargers - $2,500; net generation seating $3,500; carbon $850, sound $2,000). They announced the 85D somewhere early in 2015 as well as Ludacris as an option - for the P85D and extended it to existing cars for a discounted price (my guess is that you could ask them to do that if you were inclined).

Outside of the motor difference, Im wondering what else is missing from the 85D build? It won't have the alcantara options on the dash and roof, but if its missing items like you note in each P85D offering then the pricing starts to benefit the P cars that much more. If they are all CPO cars, I would still look at the better of the 2 P cars...I might start a bit of an off topic thread by saying this, but regular Tesla seating is about the MOST uncomfortable seating available in the market today - so, that next gen seat option is a lot bigger of an "ass"et than simply looks.

• Informative
Reactions: Indpowr

These two P85Ds probably also have the P85+ suspension, that some gearheads prefer -- they handle much more like a sport sedan, then well, a sedan (think M5 handling). If they're both CPOs, look for the PX01 option code for the + suspension.

The + suspension ended in Spring, 2015 for P85Ds around VIN 69000

Last time at the sales center in Costa Mesa they had a P100D on floor and it had ceramics, I asked the sale agent and he said they come on the P100D.... unless he was clueless ???o_O

I know on Lambo they are a 15K option
Wouldn't be the first time a sales person had no clue what they were talking about. The pads themselves may be a ceramic compound, so maybe that is what they were saying, but the rotors themselves are definitely not ceramic.

Good comments.....ty

What are the options on the 2015? Did I miss that?