Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the P3D and LR AWD 3 the same physical car ? Are only the front brakes different ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
with the exception of the performance package ( larger brakes, spoiler badge, fancy pedals) on the later production P3D's ?

Is software the only other difference to account for the performance difference ?

I know that S & X performance have different hardware than regular 100D's - wondering if it was the same with the P3D ?

Springs are a little shorter as well I think. But yes, general consensus is that they are the same otherwise. They just flip a bit to enable performance in the car config.

Back when the P3D- was sold, there were plenty of examples of vehicles sold as Performance on the MVPA and customers picking them up to find an AWD Monroney with AWD software enabled requiring service to change the software config to enable Performance and then handing the car back to the customer a few minutes later. There were also examples of buyers picking up purchased AWD's with Performance software enabled. Talk about lucky ducks.

Nobody's mentioned the wheels and tires... I'm far from an expert but I'd say the tires at least make a significant difference to cornering/braking performance.

The suspension is lower, in addition to the brakes, pedals, spoiler, and badge.

There was the claim early on that motors were binned for Performance cars, but as far as I can tell, nobody really knows whether that's true these days.

Nobody's mentioned the wheels and tires... I'm far from an expert but I'd say the tires at least make a significant difference to cornering/braking performance.

There was the claim early on that motors were binned for Performance cars, but as far as I can tell, nobody really knows whether that's true these days.

Sort of but more than 9X.XX % of AWD can be P cars.

There's never been any evidence whatsoever of motor differences on production cars (with 1 caveat below)- indeed the parts catalog showed the same PN for the drive units from the introduction of the catalog until quite recently- and owners have confirmed with pics under their cars of the drive unit PNs being identical on AWD and P cars.

(disclaimer- a new AWD-LC part was added to the catalog some months ago... there's only been 1 report of any car getting it, one guy in europe iin March I think- who never provided a picture of the PN... this got people thinking maybe up until Feb 2019 or so they were all identical and then they started using a "cheaper" one on the AWD non-P.... but since that one guys claim is the only evidence we have of anyone ever getting that drive unit it remains unclear if that's really the case)

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155 and VQTRVA

What does "binned" mean ?

There's never been any evidence whatsoever of motor differences on production cars (with 1 caveat below)- indeed the parts catalog showed the same PN for the drive units from the introduction of the catalog until quite recently- and owners have confirmed with pics under their cars of the drive unit PNs being identical on AWD and P cars.

(disclaimer- a new AWD-LC part was added to the catalog some months ago... there's only been 1 report of any car getting it, one guy in europe iin March I think- who never provided a picture of the PN... this got people thinking maybe up until Feb 2019 or so they were all identical and then they started using a "cheaper" one on the AWD non-P.... but since that one guys claim is the only evidence we have of anyone ever getting that drive unit it remains unclear if that's really the case)

Are the current motors different in the performance cars or is it just a part # change.

Anyone know what would have changed in them ?

Are the current motors different in the performance cars or is it just a part # change.

The attached image is the sole technical documentation provided by Tesla in regards to the whole binning controversy that so many people spent so much time trying to prove.

If I'm wrong, please correct me

Attachments

• 2019_05_24_00_36_40_Window.png
    2019_05_24_00_36_40_Window.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 121

To my knowledge the only evidence that any model 3 ever got anything other than the exact same motors the P gets is the one guy in Europe who claimed in one thread like 2 months ago he got a different PN motor, but then never provided any evidence and nobody else has ever made a similar claim.

Up until that guy we had numerous folks who had checked/posted pics of the motors from LR RWD, LR AWD, P, even MR, and all the motors/drive units were exactly the same part.

The electronics tested for balance, the closer the parts are for balance the one part will not saturate and overload under high power. As it turns out more than 90% off all AWD units meet this spec regardless in normal production. Any drive outside this spec does not mean it would fail either.

I would probably pay the $10k or whatever for an OTA update that made my car a P-.

Not that the AWD isn't plenty fast (every passenger is blown away by the ride)....it's just that I've gone from not really caring about acceleration before I owned a Tesla to totally addicted now and I want moar.

It won't cost $10K if they offer it and after your warranty is up you will be able to get it very cheap.