Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the P85 too fast/powerful?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still surprised that the main difference is all below 30mph. I would have thought lack of traction would keep the #'s closer at lower speeds but maybe that's because I have the crappy OEM goodyear RS-A2's. :)

I use the P85 fun factor a lot, I frequently punch it around corners to get the back end to kick out. Of course TC keeps it in line 95% of the time. :)

Once at speed the difference is less noticable. 10-15% faster instead of the 30% faster at lower speeds.

I spent a lot of time considering this table when deciding between the S and P:

Code:
Speed NP P diff.
 0-30 2.3 vs 1.7 (+0.6)
30-40 0.8 vs 0.7 (+0.1)
40-50 0.9 vs 0.7 (+0.2)
50-60 1.0 vs 0.9 (+0.1)
60-70 1.1 vs 1.0 (+0.1)
70-80 1.3 vs 1.3 (+0.0)
80-90 1.5 vs 1.4 (+0.1)
90-100 1.9 vs 1.8 (+0.1) 
45-65 1.9 vs 1.7 (+0.2)

After having a p85 and hearing how fast the 85 was already I finally drove one as a loaner today and wow, big difference on the low end! I really feel the weight and lost the sense that I can get out if any situation quickly. i did not feel confident changing lanes anymore with a car close behind coming up. Now i realize how special the p is. The 85 is a fine family car, but for such a marginal increase in price it's a whole nother beast.

After having a p85 and hearing how fast the 85 was already I finally drove one as a loaner today and wow, big difference on the low end! I really feel the weight and lost the sense that I can get out if any situation quickly. i did not feel confident changing lanes anymore with a car close behind coming up. Now i realize how special the p is. The 85 is a fine family car, but for such a marginal increase in price it's a whole nother beast.

You hit the nail right on the head. I ordered P85 specifically because the S85 "feels heavier", even though it is not, when driven back to back. I missed the power of my old '06 M5 and knew I would regret not getting the P.

Having driven my P85, loaner P85+, loaner S85, and loaner 60, I can definitely feel the difference between all of them and any other vehilce brand. That's the most important point for me.

I reserve judgement on Roadster as I've only had a chance to drive one once, so I need more data points for it to be statistically significant. :)