Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the rear screen useful for anything yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I miss anything about controllers and/or headphones able to be connected to the rear screen yet? Was this ever assumed to be true or did I dream it? Kids watching YouTube in the back and playing on the speakers is a non-starter. Controllers to play games?

Basically its a super expensive rear climate control that rarely if ever is used. Am I missing something?

Did I miss anything about controllers and/or headphones able to be connected to the rear screen yet? Was this ever assumed to be true or did I dream it? Kids watching YouTube in the back and playing on the speakers is a non-starter. Controllers to play games?

Basically its a super expensive rear climate control that rarely if ever is used. Am I missing something?
Take this in order. Nothing "new" has been releases so to speak for the rear screen. There is no controller hookup for the rear screen since it can only do video. Here is a thread about controllers though. Anyone have any luck on the refresh with game controllers?

Elon stated that there would eventually be dual Bluetooth capability where the rear could have its own stream, thus your kids could be watching something and not effect the front screen audio.

But currently it is just HVAC and entertainment (video and music). Which will only play what the front screen is playing - no dual streams.

Its a gimmick. Even if it had alot of capability, its in a terrible location. Its only use is if you want to make your passengers car sick, while you get to hear the audio of whatever junk they are watching.

We took a 800mi road trip and my two teen boys used it quite a lot. Even though they had their phones to play with, they ended up watching Netflix and Disney+. Watching short videos on YouTube though was a pain since you had to lean quite a bit forward to control the screen. Good thing is that the videos play while driving. For audio, I changed the balance to be in the rear - so atleast it was not very disturbing in the front.
They did complain about the glare on the screen, but then MacGuyvered it into a plane like darkened env with a bunch of towels and pillows that I had in the car.

For shorter trips around the city, it does not get used at-all.

Would this screen be useful for all? maybe/maybe not. If they had not put it in atall, would the price of the car decreased - most definitely not. So, I am glad it is there.

Reactions: Xeux and DukeofURL