Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the rear trunk door supposed to go back up when encountering obstruction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question didn't get any answer. Maybe I posted in the wrong group. reposting it here:

My 2023 model y trunk door won't go back up when there is obstruction preventing it from latching. I read the user guide. It will chimes twice in this case, but I wouldn't be able to hear it since I am standing outside. It didn't say however it would go back up. All cars with auto close capability I drove before operate this way, I wonder if this is a hardware defect. Does anyone know?

My question didn't get any answer. Maybe I posted in the wrong group. reposting it here:

My 2023 model y trunk door won't go back up when there is obstruction preventing it from latching. I read the user guide. It will chimes twice in this case, but I wouldn't be able to hear it since I am standing outside. It didn't say however it would go back up. All cars with auto close capability I drove before operate this way, I wonder if this is a hardware defect. Does anyone know?
No it won't! Mine doesn't! i don't know why and I really don't care. Just go back and close it.

Reactions: HelloJP
Agree, when I've overstuffed the back, it just rests there and I have to lift it up myself and adjust things and try again. And I find that a pain because it is heavy.

On the other hand, what if it is a child's limb or head, does the weight still rest on it?

I never gave it a second thought cuz my experience is always me packing the back poorly. But if one of the grandkids was back there and hit the button and the sibling didn't get out of the way.... I would expect it to behave the way a auto-reverse on a garage door does when it hits an obstruction.