Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the rear trunk supposed to always make the latching noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a cinch motor on the rear liftgate. When the liftgate closes, this is supposed to activate and pull the liftgate down. Sometimes I think the motors on the liftgate struts run a bit fast, such that the liftgate slams into the sill. The liftgate still seems to be tightly latched, and the car does not alert you for an open liftgate.

FWIW on my 2013 my liftgate latching system seized with the liftgate barely open. Service had to replace the latch and cinch motor. I am hearing a few more S with this issue as the old builds age.

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn and JohnnyG
Here is a video (turn your audio up). Please ignore my quick attempt at blurring out license plates :)

It will do this more than half the times it closes. The other half, it will make the proper latching sound.

It feels secure when it closes with the thump, and no alerts on screen. Just doesn't seem normal.

Untitled Project.m4v

Reactions: JPUConn
My 2015 MS 85D had the latch replaced two years ago. Recently I noticed the same thing, periodically the hatch will close firmly with a thud, no cinch motor involved. The hatch seems seated correctly and there is no alarms or warning it is not secure. Hopefully this is not an indication of an upcoming failure.

My M3LR always made the cinching motor noise until recently when it would just close a few times. Most of the time I hear the motor.
I saw a video on Youtube where the owner said once he lubed his gas strut (the passenger strut) shaft, it would close smoother without the motor. His theory was the cinching motor was needed because the trunk wasn't closing evenly due to resistance from the gas strut side.

My friend's 2016.5 Cinch motor seized and I replaced the part altogether. it was a PITA

However the whirl noise is completely gone with the new latch motor. Just a thump and that's it. Tested several times to make sure there was no loose fit or liftgate wobble: none

I wiped the gas strut shaft with ClenzOil (just wiped it down, didn't leave it all greasy) and adjusted the two rubber stops so it'd be even when fully shut. I no longer hear the cinching motor, it just closes with a nice "whump". It always made the cinching noise brand new at pickup until recently when I realized it didn't always need that motor.
I only used Clenzoil (the green peppermint smelling stuff) because Project Farm tested it as one of the best firearm lube/protectants. I've used it on my guns for over a year with good results.