TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is the rear trunk supposed to always make the latching noise?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by g1000x, Jul 11, 2018.

1. g1000x

g1000x Member

Sometimes when the rear lift-gate closes, it just "thumps" and doesn't make the two-part gear latching noise. Is this normal?

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

I've never, not noticed mine make the motor whine / latch noise after the thump. That doesn't mean it hasn't at some point; I just don't have any recollection of it not doing it.

3. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Mine always go whrill-click

• Like x 1
  4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Don't know if it's "normal", but mine does the same thing.

5. g1000x

g1000x Member

I'm probably wrong in this assumption but when it "thumps" I presume there is enough force when it closes to not make the latching noise.

6. JPP

JPP Active Member

There is a cinch motor on the rear liftgate. When the liftgate closes, this is supposed to activate and pull the liftgate down. Sometimes I think the motors on the liftgate struts run a bit fast, such that the liftgate slams into the sill. The liftgate still seems to be tightly latched, and the car does not alert you for an open liftgate.

FWIW on my 2013 my liftgate latching system seized with the liftgate barely open. Service had to replace the latch and cinch motor. I am hearing a few more S with this issue as the old builds age.

• Informative x 2
  7. g1000x

g1000x Member

Here is a video (turn your audio up). Please ignore my quick attempt at blurring out license plates :)

It will do this more than half the times it closes. The other half, it will make the proper latching sound.

It feels secure when it closes with the thump, and no alerts on screen. Just doesn't seem normal.

Untitled Project.m4v

• Like x 1
  8. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The noise is the cinching actuator hooking the tailgate lid to the latch. It's always there. If you don't hear it it could be a problem.

• Like x 1
  9. g1000x

g1000x Member

Any ideas about the video I posted? The trunk stays closed securely and I'm not seeing any alerts on the screen about it not being closed.

10. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

It's very strange to hear it slam down, and then not cinch afterwards.

11. ND100

ND100 Member

Mine doesn't always make the latching sound.