Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the refreshed Model X more difficult to charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Listings
I recently took delivery of a 2023 build Model X, and I've noticed the button on my Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector (with the Tesla plug; not J1772) won't open the charge door. But even if I manually open the charge port door, I've found the wall connector plug doesn't seem to seat as well compared to our Model 3 or this loaner 2017 100D Model X that I have as a loaner.

Basically with the new Model X, I have to ram the wall connector plug into the port, or else I get a notification in the app that the charge cable isn't seated well. But charging my other Tesla or this loaner is a breeze since both the button on the wall connector works, and I don't have to muscle the connector into the charge port.

For anyone that has turned in their old Model X and gotten a refreshed one, are you also noticing a stark increase in force required to properly seat a Tesla charge cable? I've never once supercharged or used a public charger... I'm only using the Tesla wall connector(s) I have installed at home.

I know this is a model X question, but the same thing happened to me with my gen 2 wall connectors, and the force required to insert the wand into our new (at the time.. march of 2022) model Y. I didnt post about it, but I did wonder about it. With unintended innuendo, I will say that after repeated use it loosened up over time (heh).

Now, a little more than a year later, they are the same.

I just chalked it up to the plastics around the port slightly wearing over time. No idea if thats true or not, its just what I thought.

TIL, these cars loosen up over time...
Or maybe bent pins or stuck dead -fronts....🤔
Screenshot_20230420_230136_Gallery.jpg

I recently took delivery of a 2023 build Model X, and I've noticed the button on my Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector (with the Tesla plug; not J1772) won't open the charge door. But even if I manually open the charge port door, I've found the wall connector plug doesn't seem to seat as well compared to our Model 3 or this loaner 2017 100D Model X that I have as a loaner.

Basically with the new Model X, I have to ram the wall connector plug into the port, or else I get a notification in the app that the charge cable isn't seated well. But charging my other Tesla or this loaner is a breeze since both the button on the wall connector works, and I don't have to muscle the connector into the charge port.

For anyone that has turned in their old Model X and gotten a refreshed one, are you also noticing a stark increase in force required to properly seat a Tesla charge cable? I've never once supercharged or used a public charger... I'm only using the Tesla wall connector(s) I have installed at home.

WRT being able to open the charge for door, the problem seems to related to specific software builds. Right now My car is running 2022.45.15 (FSD beta) and it has been very reliable. Earlier versions last year not so much. Some of them, the door completely refused to open with the button on the handle. Fortunately there are many ways to open the port: Button on the main screen, long press on the trunk button of the fob (if you have one), and finally a fairly stiff fist bump (my preferred). The next version of the vehicle software may solve the problem.

Inserting the plug will ease up somewhat with use over time. With both the connector handle and the vehicle socket being brand new, I would expect it to be very stiff. Roughly a month ago, I installed a never used before, version 2 wall connector, which increased the effort required for my X. But it has improved since first use.

For anyone that has turned in their old Model X and gotten a refreshed one, are you also noticing a stark increase in force required to properly seat a Tesla charge cable?
It's not specific to any particular model. We've seen threads on this same thing across all of the model types. It's just that you get slight variances in the tolerances of the formed plastic. So one in every [large number] of the charge ports has a just barely slightly smaller diameter of opening and takes some extra force to shove the plug in. As some people have said, it should eventually open up with some use and wear. Or an idea I had been thinking of is just taking some very fine sandpaper and rub around the inside edges of the charge port opening. That should rub off if there are any tiny ridges of plastic or roughness and slightly smooth and enlarge that opening a little.

Reactions: ucmndd
Took car in for warantee with lots of little things (14k miles and both half shafts replaced so still problem, left FWD untrasonic senses fantom obstruction 50%time. This on a 6- 2022 build) and I reported charge port button not working. Said couldn't repeat, but they installed the new 2023.12.5 software and seems to work for me also. So software fix?

2022 MX charge port door had to be replaced. It would work with the push button on plug to open, then stop working at SuperChargers and GEN2 wall charger and mobile charger. S/W resets didn't fix it. Along comes a s/w update, voila, buttons work again. A month later, buttons stop working. Resets don't fix it. Another s/w update, poof, it works again.
Spoke to virtual service manager via App service complaint and he said it was an issue in early MX's. Replaced charge port door 2 months ago and so far so good.

Good luck to you.

2022 MX charge port door had to be replaced. It would work with the push button on plug to open, then stop working at SuperChargers and GEN2 wall charger and mobile charger. S/W resets didn't fix it. Along comes a s/w update, voila, buttons work again. A month later, buttons stop working. Resets don't fix it. Another s/w update, poof, it works again.
Spoke to virtual service manager via App service complaint and he said it was an issue in early MX's. Replaced charge port door 2 months ago and so far so good.

Good luck to you.

Lol my question wasn't so much the door... it was the difficulty of getting the Tesla connector to plug into the car. It was super easy to charge our Model 3... but the Model X took a lot of force to insert. If I used the Model 3's level of force, the Model X would say the charge cable wasn't inserted properly.