Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is the roadster "buggy" as a daily driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there an easy way to tell whether the car has those put on it? Or is it one of those things where, if you need it you'll soon find out?

If you can see the road at night in the rain, you have the xenon upgrade :wink:.

If you have the upgrade there will be a ballast placed somewhere near the headlight. If not, then you don't. (But seriously, if you don't think your headlights are absolutely horrible then you probably have one of the xenon upgrades).

That was probably me lol. The car does have some bad blind spots; I added multivex mirrors, which really resolved the issue. Unfortunately they are no longer available.

Doug I have no experience with the "Multivex" mirrors you use on your Roadster, but as I posted above, the ExtendView add-on side mirrors are outstanding. See ExtendView Side Mirrors -- outstanding visibility

For those who feel the Roadster has a blind-spot, please read about how to properly set your mirrors:

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver

Below is my convex mirror on the passenger side, you can see the entire side of the Roadster clearly and any car beside it. Again the convex is one of my checks (last one) before the rear window visual when completing a pass.

The multivex and like mirrors are great too, I love the anti-glare blue. I'm use to mine so I'm most likely going to have blue film layered over my mirrors (including the rear view) to filter out the glare from headlights behind me which is aggravating and limits your visibility due to the glare in the eyes.

I placed the convex on the inside since I use the outside space of the mirror for the actual view of the car beside me. Again the convex is a check. Also you can't go any smaller than this size, you can't see a thing otherwise that's useful.

Lastly, when you pass move your head! You know you can move it left, right, forward, backward in many degrees to adjust offering a wider mirror field of view with the "things" around your Roadster. Unless you have a neck problem, you should be doing this as another redundant check when passing.

I haul a 22' boat pulled with a full size Dodge diesel extended cab with a full sized cab over camper. I know how to use adjust my side mirrors properly and in this case I have no rear view/mirror visual checks and have no issues driving the rig cross country. The Roadster does not have a blind spot if you set your mirrors right. Key is configuring your mirrors correctly. It'll save you for sure.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6169&d=1337540585.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps "perfect" is an overstatement... Some downsides include:
#1: Very small and low to the ground, so hard to be seen, so you need to drive defensively almost as if you were on a motorcycle.
#2: Somewhat poor rearward visibility.
#3: Very expensive to repair if you have any kind of body/frame damage.
#4: Very minimal cargo capability. ( I suppose you can use the passenger seat to hold groceries if you buy a lot by yourself. )

#1: I almost killed a biker the other day, as he looked over his shoulder before crossing the road, but he failed to see me tucked behind some parked cars he was passing. I saw it coming and he ended 2 meters from my front bumper. I saw him overlooking me, and he was only saved by me being extra cautious with the Roadster. If it was me in my BMW M car, he would have been roadkill...
#2: True but not a real problem if you know "what's around you".
#3: Not willing to become someone who can confirm/deny this :)
#4: It's not THAT small, it's just filled with 4 types of chargers ;)

I use my car as a daily driver, doing at least 150 miles/day. Without any form of fast charger, it's a challenge to get enough charge, but it's doable. Fast chargers are now on order for both at home and in the office..
The car is not "buggy" but it has some flaws. In my case the brakes are underperforming after driving in the rain, so I went for aftermarket discs and pads via the groupbuy on this forum. The SC will also install a new brake booster tomorrow, as replacing the rotors and pads earlier this month, did not help one bit. Another thing is the fogged up headlights, which will need replacement.. The headunit also needs an upgrade, it's old fashionned and handsfree calling is at the same level as BMW cars (read: it sucks big time). I will install a Parrot RNB6 the day it becomes available..