Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the sound system in the refreshed Model S designed by Bose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not assume it's Bose

There are many companies that specialize in that area.

Big one being Harman Kardon (now owned by Samsung) This is some aid bits on Harman's system

HALOsonic - Active Noise Management Solutions

I kind of hope it's not Bose, because I have a Bose system in my other car and it's horrible. I've had Harman in other vehicles (with ANC) and they were awesome.

Here is another

https://www.silentium.com/automotive-2/

"The original Sound Studio package was created by an S1NN, an audio engineering company in Germany that was later acquired by Harman Kardon (2014)...in the current iteration of Model S/Model X vehicles, the sound system is called “Premium Sound” and is not available as an add-on (the same sound system is bundled with every Model S/X now)." July 17, 2020 - Tesla Features Explained: Ultra High Fidelity Sound

• Informative
Reactions: 46&2 and All In
I have an audiophile friend who always says “Bose...Better Sound Through Marketing”.

That's it alright. I don't recall any real hi-fi audio manufacturer actually needing to advertise on late night television in order to sell their product.

The salesmen in one high end audio store I used to frequent had a nickname for it: Blows. And yet the store carried their product.

There were many customers who were brainwashed somehow and came in requesting the product; they never ever demoed or listened to anything else, so that $4000 all-in-one cd player and integrated receiver "Blows" unit that people put in their kitchen or bedroom sold well.

Better sound could be had for half the amount of money from practically any other product in the store, but the customer is always right. Attempt to convince them of the truth and they walk out and you loose the sale. (And I'm sure the markup and commission rate is the highest in the store)

I find it interesting how polarizing a brand of audio equipment can be. Generally, Bose uses mediocre components and heavily relies on DSP to bring out their best features biased towards how humans perceive sound. This is generally not a flat response curve. I think it's remarkable how good a set of cheap drivers can subjectively sound with proper DSP and/or enclosure design. With equal tuning invested, a set of higher priced drivers will almost always sound better, but if not tuned properly, it is easy for them to sound worse. Check out HexiBase on YouTube for examples of inexpensive drivers in 3d printed cabinets. If Bose made these and put their label on them, they'd probably jack up the price, but the sound is still the sound.

I have seen many people on car audio forums heavily recommend the use of a DSP to get the most out of their speakers. In fact, some argue against better speakers at all - instead recommending investing huge amounts of time and/or money into the tune vs. improved drivers. In a car, this is all that more important. These are the same people who generally bash Bose without a listen.

People have already piled on the "bash Bose" wagon without even listening to the prospective setup. How sad. On the flip side, you have people who laud Bose as the kings of audio without having auditioned anything else. I think both sides have something to learn.

Before anyone accuses me of being a Bose fanboy, I don't own any of their products. I do wish that automakers would invest more into their sound systems though. For the price, you're generally always better off buying the base system and upgrading it with aftermarket components than relying on the factory to do it right, especially given the cost premium.

Reactions: Cheburashka
I can’t believe I’m reading a Bose bashing thread on a Tesla forum.

Bose is a consumer focused “lifestyle” brand that focuses on different performance metrics vs. HiFi audiophile gear. They are tuned and designed for the casual listening of untalented listeners in challenging acoustical environments (think Tesla drivers). And of course, they must be extremely comfortable, stylish, cheap to mass produce, etc... In my opinion, Bose has done a fantastic job with their products given their target audience.

To sit there and bash them is not a mature audiophile thing to do.

I quite like their “house” sound personally and enjoy the Bose system in my Bolt EV, as well as the wifey enjoys their lifestyle products. We still have the more serious HiFi for more critical listening intimate sessions but actually prefer our Bose products for the background listening of garbage compressed streaming pop music.

Last edited:
The Bose system in our old Infiniti sounded pretty good.

Considering that car audio is mostly used for streaming apps and satellite radio, the average driver doesn't really need some super high-end audiophile sound hardware. It just has to sound good with a good sound stage.

I believe that Tesla is actively engaged with producing their own sound systems. Probably collaborate with others in the industry, but don't just buy brand names for marketing punch.
I personally appreciate the sound system in my Model X. Find it just to my liking. Not too heavy on the bass, but accurately reproduce the music.

...who always says “Bose...Better Sound Through Marketing”

Well, he's got that all wrong. BOSE is an acronym that stands for

Buy other sound equipment

and has been standing for that for ages ;)

But then, they got rich by selling 4 little blare cubes and a shoebox "sub" that goes "down" to 200 Hz bass, all fine to clang in a dentist's practice ;) At least these can pay... :D

Just to jump on the bandwagon from someone who was in the high end audio business for decades, our sayings were, “No highs, no lows, must be Bose” and we considered Dr Amar Bose the PT Barnum of the hi fi biz because he famously said “there’s a sucker born every minute”.

I’m ok with bashing Bose because I have never seen a Bose product that you couldn’t beat for at least half the price. In fact, when I sold Bose at retail as a young man we were not allowed to a/b their speakers with any other speakers or we would be violating their franchise agreement.

with that being said, if you own Bose and you like it, great! If you’re considering Bose then I would simply suggest you compare with some other products.

I once won a pair of Bose 901’s Series 4 in a sales contest and sold them the day I received them….

HK can make some very good car audio systems, and they can make some bad ones, it all depends on how demanding the car manufacturer is and what they care about. For example, Volvo has a system engineered by B&W but it’s actually manufactured by HK, and it’s one of the best systems available in a car today.. just my .02

This is fairly descriptive, and applies for my 2020 Long Range +:
Premium Audio System - [FM-HD, Internet Streaming, 2 Front USB Ports for media / charging, 2 Rear USB ports for charging, Sirius XM Satellite Capable, 5 Discrete Channels, 11 Midrange(3”) Mid-Woofer(6”) and Tweeters(1”), 8” Subwoofer, Door/Hatch Chime, Neodymium Speaker Magnets, 560 W Total Power with Dolby Pro Logic]

LocationModel S
Front Dash2 – 1” tweeters
3 – 3” mid-range
Front Doors2 – 8” mid-woofer
2nd Row Doors2 – 6” mid-woofer
Rear Hatch2 – 3” mid-range
1 – 8” Subwoofer