Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the SR+ range still available for the Model 3 SR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought our Model 3 a year ago this week, just in time to capture the federal tax credit before it got halved again. The SR was no longer offered but someone here (thank you!) told me I could ask for it "off menu" and have the AP and 20 miles of range peeled off to get the $35,000 price. So we did that and have been very happy with it.

Next week the prices for the upgrades go up $1,000, so AP will go from 2K to 3K. This is my wife's commuter car and she doesn't really want the AP (doesn't even use cruise control) but she is interested in the extra range, especially since the SR+ got a 10 mile range boost in the last year. In theory we could get an extra 30 miles. There is no mention on my account or on the app if they could unlock that extra range for us, either as part of the AP upgrade or a la carte. I've emailed Tesla, I've called my dealer, texted my salesman (he tried but couldn't find out anything) and I even sent Elon a tweet, and have found out nothing.

Does anybody know anything?

Attachments

• upgrade options.png
    upgrade options.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 120
It’s still off menu thing that you can request to to the service center.

not sure if you can just get SR+ without AP but I don’t see why not. Prob 2-3k upgrade in that case.

yours was built in 2019 (same as mine) so your SR+ range will be rated 240 not the 250 of the 2020 models.

I have 2019 SR+ with basic autopilot and very happy with it and it’s range. It doesn’t display that I have 240 max range but I usually just leave in % and always gets good overall range and has never had issues.

so with SR+ upgrade you will get more range, maybe foglight?( I have on mine).
I personally think extra range buffer is worth it but it really will depend on use case.

Thanks, all. I didn't get that it was only the 2020 M3 SR+ cars that got the 10 miles range boost- thought it was all M3s.

The times I've tried to get through to a human at my two closest Chicago area dealerships, they never answer the phone so I leave messages, but never get called back. I can get responses from my salesman because I have his personal cell phone number. I suppose driving up there is an option. Where I will bump into my salesman and see if he lets me break through the security barrier to get to the service center.

You are looking for the sr to sr+ upgrade. Call service. It's either 4500 or 5000 upgrade. There are several threads here about it.
Thanks. Yeah, that's what I saved when I had the SR+ features limited, but as I understand it, some of these prices change according to demands, incentives, etc. Seems weird I have to work this hard to find out. I didn't really expect Elon Musk to answer a tweet about it, but the information is not available on the app, on my account, in the car, or through the dealership or my salesman.

and only the newly optimized 2020 SR+ cars get the 250 mile range, so the SR+ upgrade will only get you the 240 mile range potential, not the 250 mile range of the 2020 SR+.
Thanks. I missed that 2019/2020 distinction when news of that upgrade came up. I'll be first in line someday when they are swapping out the old batteries for the new million-mile batteries... for $1,000. Already lost 5% in a year, driving 11,000 miles. Only charges to 209 miles from the original 220, and that's in the friendly weather.

Thanks. I missed that 2019/2020 distinction when news of that upgrade came up. I'll be first in line someday when they are swapping out the old batteries for the new million-mile batteries... for $1,000. Already lost 5% in a year, driving 11,000 miles. Only charges to 209 miles from the original 220, and that's in the friendly weather.

Consider yourself lucky. My SR only goes to 201 on a good day after 10K miles/yr old like you.I had SC a lot and gone down to 1% early on when I didn't have a charger at home and didn't know better. Not sure if that's a caused it. I had them run health diagnostics when I was in shop for rear AC and it passed.

The good news is that we can charge to 100% daily since the SR+ buffer is avail. That will NLA if you upgrade

Last edited:
Reactions: Watts_Up
Thanks. Yeah, that's what I saved when I had the SR+ features limited, but as I understand it, some of these prices change according to demands, incentives, etc. Seems weird I have to work this hard to find out. I didn't really expect Elon Musk to answer a tweet about it, but the information is not available on the app, on my account, in the car, or through the dealership or my salesman.
I only know of 2 prices quoted. It's been 4500 from my local service center since I bought my sr in July 2019. I know others have it quoted as such. Recently I've been told it went up to 5k but my service center said they would honor 4500 quote. Recently there has been speculation of a reduction in this price due to the reduced sr+ price, I know of no one with a quote though. The key is to call service... most of the sales guys don't know about this... I was told before that it's impossible and I'd need to trade in my sr.

I only know of 2 prices quoted. It's been 4500 from my local service center since I bought my sr in July 2019. I know others have it quoted as such. Recently I've been told it went up to 5k but my service center said they would honor 4500 quote. Recently there has been speculation of a reduction in this price due to the reduced sr+ price, I know of no one with a quote though. The key is to call service... most of the sales guys don't know about this... I was told before that it's impossible and I'd need to trade in my sr.

do you have to bring in the car to service or OTA like AP? Anyone pay over the phone?

Last edited:

How do you drive your car though? Because you're not going to get the full number range by stepping on it all the time.

Mine is as low as yours and I'd say I drive 70% spirited and 30% conservative. I'm sure my car is capable of achieving 240+ miles if I were to drive conservatively throughout a full charge. Range isn't an issue though. I have more than enough for any drive I've ever done so far

I bought our Model 3 a year ago this week, just in time to capture the federal tax credit before it got halved again. The SR was no longer offered but someone here (thank you!) told me I could ask for it "off menu" and have the AP and 20 miles of range peeled off to get the $35,000 price. So we did that and have been very happy with it.

Next week the prices for the upgrades go up $1,000, so AP will go from 2K to 3K. This is my wife's commuter car and she doesn't really want the AP (doesn't even use cruise control) but she is interested in the extra range, especially since the SR+ got a 10 mile range boost in the last year. In theory we could get an extra 30 miles. There is no mention on my account or on the app if they could unlock that extra range for us, either as part of the AP upgrade or a la carte. I've emailed Tesla, I've called my dealer, texted my salesman (he tried but couldn't find out anything) and I even sent Elon a tweet, and have found out nothing.

Does anybody know anything?
I bought the SR without Autopilot like you but it was never downgraded from SR+. This is May from 2019. The 100% range is however only 219 miles, but the computer says "Standard Range Plus." I'm thinking about the AP upgrade. Is it worth 2k as resale in a few years?

I bought the SR without Autopilot like you but it was never downgraded from SR+. This is May from 2019. The 100% range is however only 219 miles, but the computer says "Standard Range Plus." I'm thinking about the AP upgrade. Is it worth 2k as resale in a few years?

was it ever higher than 219? also how about fog lights etc?

Depending on how the SR is capped, it might be a better deal to keep the SR. If it is top capped, then you can charge to 100% all the time and not worry about battery degradation. It is like the SR+ charging to 95% or so.

If it is bottom capped, then i doubt tesla will cut you off if you still have capacity at the bottom so you are likely to drive a bit more.

If it is something in the middle, then you got best of both worlds, though I doubt it is done this way because of the complexity of maintaining the proper calculated capacity.

If I was a betting man, it is top limited because it can help reduce capacity degradation which can mean savings on warranty issues for tesla.

There is plenty of reason why you won't realisticly need/use the 30 miles anyways in normal situations the benefits are slim IMO.

Reactions: GenSao
How do you drive your car though? Because you're not going to get the full number range by stepping on it all the time.

Mine is as low as yours and I'd say I drive 70% spirited and 30% conservative. I'm sure my car is capable of achieving 240+ miles if I were to drive conservatively throughout a full charge. Range isn't an issue though. I have more than enough for any drive I've ever done so far
Good point. I'm goosing it half the time I'm driving it, but my wife drives it 90% of the time, and I think she's a secret leadfoot. I don't think she stomps it like I do, and she also has her driving preferences set to chill mode. But, sometimes I spy on her with the app when she's heading out of state on I-90 and I see her doing 85+. I tell her to use the cruise control but I don't think she ever does.

Reactions: Mr X
Depending on how the SR is capped, it might be a better deal to keep the SR. If it is top capped, then you can charge to 100% all the time and not worry about battery degradation. It is like the SR+ charging to 95% or so.

If it is bottom capped, then i doubt tesla will cut you off if you still have capacity at the bottom so you are likely to drive a bit more.

If it is something in the middle, then you got best of both worlds, though I doubt it is done this way because of the complexity of maintaining the proper calculated capacity.

If I was a betting man, it is top limited because it can help reduce capacity degradation which can mean savings on warranty issues for tesla.

There is plenty of reason why you won't realisticly need/use the 30 miles anyways in normal situations the benefits are slim IMO.

I've seen that idea batted around- that a software limited SR+ can charge to 100% fearlessly- but without a definite resolution. Bottom capping seems either counter-intuitive or like a missed opportunity: this kind of means your car could deliberately strand you while you still have 20 miles of range. If so, your screen would have a "Buy 20 miles of range" as a one-time option for $150 or whatever the price is for calling out a flatbed, minus the hassle.

I have noticed that when charging to 100% from my home Tesla charger that the charging rate doesn't seem to slow down at the end as it tops off, the way I remember it doing that when we last used Superchargers. Whatever that means.

I can’t find the thread now, but we were able to definitively prove that my SR is top locked — regen at 100% and the SR+ supercharger curve is unaltered at high SOC.
I've seen that idea batted around- that a software limited SR+ can charge to 100% fearlessly- but without a definite resolution. Bottom capping seems either counter-intuitive or like a missed opportunity: this kind of means your car could deliberately strand you while you still have 20 miles of range. If so, your screen would have a "Buy 20 miles of range" as a one-time option for $150 or whatever the price is for calling out a flatbed, minus the hassle.

I have noticed that when charging to 100% from my home Tesla charger that the charging rate doesn't seem to slow down at the end as it tops off, the way I remember it doing that when we last used Superchargers. Whatever that means.

I can’t find the thread now, but we were able to definitively prove that my SR is top locked — regen at 100% and the SR+ supercharger curve is unaltered at high SOC.

Can you elaborate please?

Do you mean that the slower rate at the end of charging is actually replicated when charging to your software-limited 100%? (We haven't used superchargers since we got our home charger.)

Can you elaborate please?

Do you mean that the slower rate at the end of charging is actually replicated when charging to your software-limited 100%? (We haven't used superchargers since we got our home charger.)

I'm not sure what you are asking but I think the point is 100% on a software limited SR is really only 95% or 96% because the SR and SR+ uses the same battery. Meaning if you supercharge or charge normally, you will not see the slowdown because the car will cut off at 95% or 96% even though it shows 100% for you and this is all software trickery.

If you have a SR, then it confirms top capped. Meaning with your dash says 100%, it is really 95% or 96% realistically for the battery. This is why your charge rate never slows down.

I'm always a proponent of software limited range tesla because you are getting a great deal both in price and longevity of the car. Essentially software limited range tesla is protecting your battery and time during road trips because you should never charge to a real 100% at supercharging stations anyways. For those software limited range tesla I would just set the limit to 100% and forget about it.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh