Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the SR+ range still available for the Model 3 SR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have a SR, then it confirms top capped. Meaning with your dash says 100%, it is really 95% or 96% realistically for the battery. This is why your charge rate never slows down.

I'm always a proponent of software limited range tesla because you are getting a great deal both in price and longevity of the car. Essentially software limited range tesla is protecting your battery and time during road trips because you should never charge to a real 100% at supercharging stations anyways. For those software limited range tesla I would just set the limit to 100% and forget about it.
Right. I also read, somewhere, in a review of the most energy efficient EVs, the SR+ limited to be an SR was at the very top of the pile, because of the way the battery is optimized to.. not be optimized for maximum range, I guess. Then I think a Kia knocked it down to #2.

Thanks for digging that up- I ended up reading the whole thread. Very happy with our SR+ (- +) = SR, but my wife would like the extra range so I will try to call the SA tomorrow (last day at the reduced price) on the prayer that AP and range are bundled together and somehow the extra range os not mentioned. Who knows- part of the fun is finding chinks in the armor with Tesla.

btw, in the chart you posted about the charging curve, 2 questions:

1.) So in the last 18 minutes the charge diminished from 76 to 25kW, but you're saying you were above the supercharger curve the whole time. Does that mean charging to 100% if it were an SR+ it would slow down a lot more in the last minutes?

And, 2.) did you just input all that info in a DIY chart manually? Don't tell me there's a way the car spits that out that I haven't seen yet...

Thanks.

Yes — the last few % in the SR+ takes AGES. Think of the battery like a balloon. It’s easy to blow up at first, but progressively more difficult, and it becomes very difficult at the extreme full end. The SR just fills the balloon to 92%, so there’s still plenty of ability to get the “air” in quickly even at 100%.

Thanks for digging that up- I ended up reading the whole thread. Very happy with our SR+ (- +) = SR, but my wife would like the extra range so I will try to call the SA tomorrow (last day at the reduced price) on the prayer that AP and range are bundled together and somehow the extra range os not mentioned. Who knows- part of the fun is finding chinks in the armor with Tesla.

btw, in the chart you posted about the charging curve, 2 questions:

1.) So in the last 18 minutes the charge diminished from 76 to 25kW, but you're saying you were above the supercharger curve the whole time. Does that mean charging to 100% if it were an SR+ it would slow down a lot more in the last minutes?

And, 2.) did you just input all that info in a DIY chart manually? Don't tell me there's a way the car spits that out that I haven't seen yet...

Thanks.

Yes — the last few % in the SR+ takes AGES. Think of the battery like a balloon. It’s easy to blow up at first, but progressively more difficult, and it becomes very difficult at the extreme full end. The SR just fills the balloon to 92%, so there’s still plenty of ability to get the “air” in quickly even at 100%.

Got it, thanks! Makes sense. I understand pretty much everything at the balloon-blowing up level.
It occurred to me that Tesla doesn't want to offer restoring range at any price, since, when that range is diminished or gone, the customer could ask for their money back.