TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is the Tesla Model 3 hiding under this sheet?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by S'toon, Aug 5, 2015.

1. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

#1 S'toon, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    Full article at:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/05/tesla-model-3-hiding/

I also note the Lotus submarine in the background :tongue:

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Yes, it is.

I think. :)

My belief is that this is the clay model with two different versions (I think sedan and SUV) of the Model 3 that waitbuywhy mentioned. We've been talking about this still taken from the Australian 60 minutes video it for a while in the Model X and Model 3 forums...
    Walter

3. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

You never know. They also have the James Bond Lotus in the background, so this could easily be a staged photo. Or maybe the Lotus is Model 3 :)

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

It's actually a still capture out of a video from the Australian 60 minutes, as I mentioned above:

See here, at about 5:23 - there's a panning shot of the design studio before they interview some lead designer types. Now Tesla may have done all sorts of creative things with the studio before the shot, but I don't actually think they did - waitbutwhy saw a model 3 clay model with two different sides which I'm pretty sure is what's under the cover.

Here, and here:

5. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Ah, that explains the lack of symmetry beneath the cover. For a moment I was afraid they were going to release a weirdmobile :)

6. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

From the proportions, my bet is that one is the much discussed CUV variant and the other a sedan/coupe. :)

7. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

It also seems to be much "pointier" in the front with a nose that sticks out... could help with aerodynamics.

8. renim

renim Member

that nose looks really similar to an Mitsubishi ASX, as does the vehicle width.
    Mitsubishi-ASX-Aspire-21.jpg

9. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

You may have noticed in that article it takes its source from this forum, therefore there wasn't really the need to start another thread...

10. S'toon

Actually, I did miss that part. Sorry.

11. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

This forum has become self aware.

12. Omer

Omer Member

13. Model3G

Model3G Member

Anyone seeing 4 doors?
    Any speculation on the cross between the S and X?

14. BrianC

BrianC Member

I dont know how serious I can take something that claims Iron Man is inspired by Elon. IM has been around longer that he has been alive :confused:.

That would be a MX not the 3 btw.

15. S'toon

You made the same mistake I did when I posted about the clay models. You missed the part where they referred to the TMC Forums.

16. Spurkey

Spurkey P04251

Robert Downey Jr. has long said he's taken inspiration for movie-Tony-Stark from Elon. RDJr got a personal tour of SpaceX provided by Elon in 2007 before the first movie, plus they put Elon in the second movie.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/true-story-elon-musk-robert-downey-jr-tony-stark-ashlee-vance

On a related note - nothing in the first article mentions Iron Man...

17. Newb

Newb Member

They've referred to the wrong thread, though. It's been discussed here: Model 3 to be sedan AND crossover - Page 9

Don't need the credits for that, but just sayin'.

18. Trev Page

Trev Page Member

Everyone take a good close look at the nose of the Model 3 clay model hiding under the black fabric (circled in red).

As I mentioned before in the Model X thread, I think Tesla designed a new look for the front end of their brand for Model 3 and carried it over to the Model X to begin the transition. Model S should follow suit before too long.

Lots of pictures from the Model X reveal event show a pointy snout with raked back headlights:

nosecone.PNG

19. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

#19 Twiddler, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    Interesting to look at the other car under a sheet - it looks to be the size of the model S, but does not have the nose bulge that you would expect from its nosecone, but rather looks like the smaller (model 3?) car next to it. Could this in fact be the updated "Model S 2.0"?

EDIT: Perhaps my above post was not clear. I am not speaking of the car circled in red, but the car to the RIGHT of it in the picture.

20. Trev Page

Trev Page Member

No. The consensus is the car circled in red is the Model 3 clay model. Wait but why blogger mentioned seeing the Model 3 clay model that was half sedan and half crossover while on a visit interviewing Elon.