Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Tesla Model 3 hiding under this sheet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at that 60 minutes video again, I have a strong hunch the back left quarter of that clay model was leaked on purpose, but as a bit of a red herring as it looks so much like a Model S, but comparing it side by side it has a shorter overhang and the hatch lid ends sooner. When I first saw it I thought it WAS a Model S.

My WAG (you'll figure it out) is that this is the Model 3 concept that basically looks like a small Model S. From what I've read it sounds like they may move away from that. Tesla may be trying to create buzz here while simultaneously throwing the following speculation off the scent as it were.

If I'm right, too bad. I love the back end of that car! :D

I think an economically viable falcon door for the model 3 is an exciting possibility. That would allow Tesla to build a different kind of car without going full wierdmobile (looking at you, Nissan Leaf).

The possibility also makes me feel that Musk hasn't gone full-bore eccentric rich guy. He previously seemed to me to be too focused the falcon door and second row seating.

Perhaps his falcon door obsession will make the model 3 special. I hope it works. Small four doors are useful but so common.

what about just one pair of falcon wing doors to give access to front and back?

2013-Buick-Riviera-Concept-Rear-featured.jpg

Given the current speculation that the Model Y will by a CUV, and the 3 a sedan, could that weird blend under the sheet be 1/2 3 and 1/2 Y? If so, and they're based on the same platform, could the 3 and Y be announced and released at the same time?

Given the current speculation that the Model Y will by a CUV, and the 3 a sedan, could that weird blend under the sheet be 1/2 3 and 1/2 Y? If so, and they're based on the same platform, could the 3 and Y be announced and released at the same time?

Yep, it's apparently common practice to do two designs on the same platform simultaneously on each side of a clay model. It guarantees the general styles match, and the side can be mirrored in a computer. No point in doing twice the work. Also, the Model Y may be planned to come out slightly later than the 3, according to the "future of energy" presentation slide showing the tesla time line.

Last edited: