Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Tesla wave / chin hello dead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still get the occasional wave / nod / smile in the SF Bay Area -- nothing like when I got my car over a year ago, though. When I have the DRLs on I get more responses, so maybe part of it is not being recognized.

Yes, I realize that. It is just unfortunate that mainstream = unfriendly in our world.

I think it's more like, "oh my god, she's wearing my outfit". We are all (relatively) early adopters, so most of us enjoy driving something that is not just good, but also novel. When you see another Tesla once a month, it's fun. When you see one every five minutes, as you now do in the SF Bay Area, it's actually kind of annoying.

I think it's more like, "oh my god, she's wearing my outfit". We are all (relatively) early adopters, so most of us enjoy driving something that is not just good, but also novel. When you see another Tesla once a month, it's fun. When you see one every five minutes, as you now do in the SF Bay Area, it's actually kind of annoying.

Not if you're a shareholder. :)

(My reaction is typically a silent, 'Thank you for buying a Tesla, please buy another one and tell all your friends to buy one, too.')

Not if you're a shareholder. :)

(My reaction is typically a silent, 'Thank you for buying a Tesla, please buy another one and tell all your friends to buy one, too.')

True enough. It's kind of like discovering a great restaurant that's not too busy on Friday night. On the one hand, you want to tell everyone to go there so they stay in business. On the other hand, if they're wildly successful and always crowded, it'll be great for them, but it'll ruin the place for you. No way to win...

There are NOT many Tesla's on the roads of Indianapolis. The one who did see me played tag for a while. She and the guy passenger were very happy to see another Tesla!
The response is OVERWHELMINGLY positive. Every time I stop, or go to an event, it turns into a never ending discussion about the car, which I'm glad to take part in.
The another night, I went to a party and people were coming in and saying, who's car is that??!!
I ended up giving about 20 people a ride throughout the night! (groups of 4, including me). I felt like a car salesman, but they were saying... "my turn."
All were shocked at the interior and even more so at the acceleration, and regenerative breaking. PS: This party had nice cars there. Range Rover's, BMW's, etc.

Attachments

• photo-48.JPG
    photo-48.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 293
There are NOT many Tesla's on the roads of Indianapolis. The one who did see me played tag for a while. She and the guy passenger were very happy to see another Tesla!
The response is OVERWHELMINGLY positive. Every time I stop, or go to an event, it turns into a never ending discussion about the car, which I'm glad to take part in.
The another night, I went to a party and people were coming in and saying, who's car is that??!!
I ended up giving about 20 people a ride throughout the night! (groups of 4, including me). I felt like a car salesman, but they were saying... "my turn."
All were shocked at the interior and even more so at the acceleration, and regenerative breaking. PS: This party had nice cars there. Range Rover's, BMW's, etc.

Sounds like a good piece for the "Tesla Moments" thread. :smile:

scott jones said:

Was this a fun thing for you at the party, or does it start to get kind of annoying?

In my first 3 months of ownership, I have only seen 2 model S while driving. I gave the wave.
Part of the reason why the wave might be dying off is because us newbies that have the model S don't recognise other S's until it is too late.

I plan on keeping it alive.

In my first 3 months of ownership, I have only seen 2 model S while driving. I gave the wave.
Part of the reason why the wave might be dying off is because us newbies that have the model S don't recognise other S's until it is too late.

I plan on keeping it alive.
That's a good reason to use the daylight running lights (aside from the insurance discount). The S's DRL are very distinctive. ;)