Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Tesla wave / chin hello dead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jeeps wave but it's often the ones with "real jeeps" who don't have doors on in the summer so it is easier to see.

I wave on my motorcycles but often don't get a return from sport bikes or from anyone when I'm on my dual sport.

I'll probably flash high beams when I order a Tesla but I've seen very few since I started following them years ago.

I'm in Marin County, California. Lots of Teslas here. I get a responsive wave about 50% of the time. I figure there are many new owners that just aren't into it.

@HebrHmr - I have a Jeep CJ-5. Back when I first got it, we waved 100%. Of course when the Rectangular headlight Wranglers came along, they were not considered "real" Jeeps, so didn't get the wave. Now I'll wave to any set up Jeep.

I think there will always be those like us that are Tesla owners that will always acknowledge a Tesla sighting.

While I still do the wave, more frequently I find myself flicking the light stalk to blink my lights at the other Tesla (if it's an oncoming vehicle) -- hands need never leave the wheel. With more lead-time, I roll down the window if it's not already open and stick my hand out for a full thumbs-up. All depends on the weather and the safety of the particular situation.

I owned one of the very first Prius's and this waving phenomenon was common in the Bay Area until we discovered it was distracting and unsafe. I have waved at other MS owners when we are both stopped--it's a nice exchange. But when we are going opposite directions on CA-84 around curves, I don't think I want to look for someone to see if they are waving behind the hard-to-see-through windshield and looking for their reaction if they wave at me back. I'd rather not crash my MS into a tree. :)

Yes, the more MS's there are, the less likely you are to wave. I went to a meeting in Palo Alto and from the parking lot to the highway on-ramp (a 5 minute drive), I saw 7 other Model S's. On my regular drive home from San Francisco to San Mateo, I see 4-6 MS's on that commute without looking ... probably missed a few. I still stare at them because they are pretty cars (like any ego-stroking maneuver of looking in a mirror!), but I can't justify taking my hands off the wheel and my eyes off the road on US-101 or I-280 to wave to someone who will never see it, because by the time I do it, the car is 400 yards behind me already.

- K

While I still do the wave, more frequently I find myself flicking the light stalk to blink my lights at the other Tesla (if it's an oncoming vehicle) -- hands need never leave the wheel. With more lead-time, I roll down the window if it's not already open and stick my hand out for a full thumbs-up. All depends on the weather and the safety of the particular situation.

Makes sense.

However.

If I had a Tesla and saw another one in the distance approaching I would open the pano roof, stand up and wave with both arms like a lunatic. :smile:

Out of 5 oncoming MS's that I can recall flashing my headlights at, I got only 1 response (a wave). Out of 2 that I gave 2-thumbs-up to while a pedestrian, I got one response - also a wave. To be fair, maybe the tinted windows interfered with my seeing the responses. I think one problem is the extremely short response time available in crowded 2-lane roads with traffic that obscures both the signaler and the receiver until the last second. Other than that, one has to admit that there are a fair number whose enthusiasm is not at the same level.

In early 2013 I had constant waves and lots of people coming around- in San Francisco. Then there were not a lot of Tesla's around even there. I drove a P85 there for four days and had people going nuts all around, including hotel valets who, in one case disconnected an electric dryer (with manager approval) to give me a charge overnight. We'll not see the likes of that again except in countries that are new to tesla, I suspect. I'm curious what would happen if I could bring one to Rio de Janeiro. People here try hard to seem blasé but sometimes allow themselves a dose of enthusiasm.

Despite seeing a few around town while I was waiting to order/receive my S85 I haven't encountered another Model S on the road since taking delivery! I know they're out there!

I guess that's not entirely accurate though. I did honk and wave at a white Model S owner in my parents neighborhood a couple weeks ago when I was taking various family members on short drives. He was parked in his driveway though, so I don't know if that counts :p

Despite seeing a few around town while I was waiting to order/receive my S85 I haven't encountered another Model S on the road since taking delivery! I know they're out there!

I guess that's not entirely accurate though. I did honk and wave at a white Model S owner in my parents neighborhood a couple weeks ago when I was taking various family members on short drives. He was parked in his driveway though, so I don't know if that counts :p

What part of DC?

I lived in Dupont Circle for 6 years… You will see a fair number of Model S's in the Bethesda area. Since I now live in suburban Maryland, I only see them rarely, which is kinda fun.

I sometimes get questions / comments about my Tesla jacket: "Wow do you own one of those?!"… "Yep -- most amazing car on the planet." ;) :)

I'm enjoying this time we have before the Model X's and Model 3's come out… at which point the "exclusive Tesla club" will be less so… which of course is also good, in another way.

In other news, I just bought an "Ego Power +" all electric cordless lawnmower… proud to have an "all electric life" now… no more gas powered cars or tools of any kind! :)

I was just up visitng a friend in Potomac MD, saw a total of 3 Teslae. First two I waved, no response. On the third, I started to do the Deep South "lift the index finger off the steering wheel" and got a honk and a vigorous wave. Made me feel bad.

Also saw my first ever P85D, black, here in Annapolis tonight.

I get them quite often and most people, though my use of SCs is low, have been quite chatty. But I live CA, where the car is king. But we also all wave at our neighbors where we live. Whether we know them or not. I really it and have never experienced that anywhere but here.

What part of DC?

I lived in Dupont Circle for 6 years… You will see a fair number of Model S's in the Bethesda area. Since I now live in suburban Maryland, I only see them rarely, which is kinda fun.

I sometimes get questions / comments about my Tesla jacket: "Wow do you own one of those?!"… "Yep -- most amazing car on the planet." ;) :)

I'm enjoying this time we have before the Model X's and Model 3's come out… at which point the "exclusive Tesla club" will be less so… which of course is also good, in another way.

In other news, I just bought an "Ego Power +" all electric cordless lawnmower… proud to have an "all electric life" now… no more gas powered cars or tools of any kind! :)

I actually am in suburban Maryland as well, not really sure why I chose "DCish" as my location when I signed up a while back. I finally saw the White Model S that I pass on 97S as they are on 97N yesterday but was only able to register that I was really seeing another Tesla and flash my lights (divided highway a bit too far to see a wave inside the cabin) as we were passing each other so they *definitely* didn't have time to respond.

I'll have to be quicker next time. I wonder if they were the white one that came to Coffee and Cars downtown (Annapolis) on Sunday where we had 3 Model S owners in attendance. Myself, a white older generation, and another new black one (S85D vs my S85). I'll keep an eye out for your Blue/Tan and will be sure to wave like a mad man :biggrin:

Since I don't have the super cow powers to make a signature yet I'll be in a: S85 | Black | Black/Body Color Roof | Black Nappa Leather | 19" Standard Wheels/Tires