Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the wall connector slow to start charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery this evening and doing my first charge at home using the HPWC and the app is showing I’m getting an 8mi/hr charge. Does it normally start this slow if you were really low or is there an issue?

Attachments

• 4BCEE024-ABF6-4FA1-A797-5D55B321E331.png
    4BCEE024-ABF6-4FA1-A797-5D55B321E331.png
    673.4 KB · Views: 201
...check the charge panel make sure you have your location set to max amps ... also not sure how you wired hpwc and configured dip switches but that also can be issue ..it shouldn’t start this slow

Reactions: MidwestMX
Sounds like a standard power outlet.
So either you have set a charge-limit in your car or your electrician have connected (or set up) a ver weak power supply to the wall connector.

What is the ”max charge” if you click on the power symbol on your panel?

The picture clearly shows 241v not 120v.

When the battery is super low it takes a bit of a charge before it will ramp up when supercharging, perhaps this also applies when your battery is low (or cold) when you are normal charging.

/edit. Likely culprit is the rotary switch settings inside the HPWC are set to the min charge rate. Pop the cover and check. If it's set wrong, set it to the correct setting for your breaker size.

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 1.03.49 AM.png

Last edited:
Another reason for the installers to read the manual. :D The switch should be set to the test setting to test it and then set to the proper setting to match the circuit connected when being connected.

All the HPWC does is connect power to the car. Unless it’s limiting power in this way, the car does all the controlling of how quickly the battery charges.

And, the screenshot looks like the rotary switch is set to 1 which is virtually never done.

@Fiver and @boaterva have the knowing of it. The /12 means the connection is only good for 12 Amps max. That is the value reported by the HPWC based on switch setting ( 1 in this case).

And, the screenshot looks like the rotary switch is set to 1 which is virtually never done.

That is the position the HPWC is set to when it is shipped out/ new. It makes it work (vs test) but can't pull more than the circuit can provide. So no one sets it to that, but all start life set to it. There was another thread with a destination charger with the same issue .

Reactions: Fiver
@Fiver and @boaterva have the knowing of it. The /12 means the connection is only good for 12 Amps max. That is the value reported by the HPWC based on switch setting ( 1 in this case).

That is the position the HPWC is set to when it is shipped out/ new. It makes it work (vs test) but can't pull more than the circuit can provide. So no one sets it to that, but all start life set to it. There was another thread with a destination charger with the same issue .
Gotcha and interesting. I didn’t recall what mine were set to when I pulled the covers to take a look before giving them to the electricians. I perhaps had thought ‘test’ but letting them work at all (15/12) is better than not at all (test).

As I said, one more reason to have a Tesla certified electrician do the install. Or read the manual yourself! :D

Reactions: mongo
15 amp breaker. Not 50 amp breaker. Bet me? I cant tell but by 12 amp picture?
No. He is plugged into a HPWC, not an outlet. The car setting shows the HPWC setting. The HPWC is set as if it’s on a 15A circuit. When plugged into a HPWC the car doesn’t know what the circuit size is, as when a UMC is plugged into an outlet with the proper adapter.

Reactions: mongo
You guys are all awesome. Going to take cover off an adjust this to 9 right now. Need to find the little tools to take the cover off. Do I need any type of specific tool to turn the rotary switch?
The rotary switch turns with just a small flat head screwdriver. You will need a security Torx set to get the cover off.
  • T10 Torx driver for the gray top cover. (just one screw at bottom of HPWC)

• T20 security pin Torx driver for the black cover under the gray front cover.
It goes without saying, shut off power at the breaker before tinkering around inside the HPWC.

Last edited:
The rotary switch turns with just a small flat head screwdriver. You will need a security Torx set to get the cover off.
  • T10 Torx driver for the gray top cover. (just one screw at bottom of HPWC)

• T20 security pin Torx driver for the black cover under the gray front cover.
It goes without saying, shut off power at the breaker before tinkering around inside the HPWC.
And those Torxs came with the HPWC. But often leave with the electrician. :D

And be very careful of the ribbon cable and connector to the inside cover!

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
And those Torxs came with the HPWC. But often leave with the electrician. :D
Yup. That's what happened to me. I had to go to Home Depot to buy a security Torx set.

It's not really "security" though, anyone can buy them. The security version was $1 more then the regular ones, and sold right next to them on the shelf. The "Security" kind will work with normal Torx so why wouldn't you buy it?

Yup. That's what happened to me. I had to go to Home Depot to buy a security Torx set.

It's not really "security" though, anyone can buy them. The security version was $1 more then the regular ones, and sold right next to them on the shelf. The "Security" kind will work with normal Torx so why wouldn't you buy it?
Yep. Back in the day (way back) Phillips were ‘security’ screws too. And don’t get us started on the Apple pentalobe and the like. :D

The picture clearly shows 241v not 120v.

When the battery is super low it takes a bit of a charge before it will ramp up when supercharging, perhaps this also applies when your battery is low (or cold) when you are normal charging.

/edit. Likely culprit is the rotary switch settings inside the HPWC are set to the min charge rate. Pop the cover and check. If it's set wrong, set it to the correct setting for your breaker size.

View attachment 312042
You were correct! All good to go now.

Attachments

• 2B0A384D-5AA8-4516-B5EF-0F128EE888D9.png
    2B0A384D-5AA8-4516-B5EF-0F128EE888D9.png
    661.8 KB · Views: 119