Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Web browser supposed to suck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought a used 2017 P100D and upgraded to the MCU2? I do not have FSD.

My question is about the web browser function. It really has never worked that well. Now, it will only go to a website(reddit.com) for about 45 seconds and then it just crashes and shuts down. I have rebooted the MCU and still hasn't and it still hasn't resolved the problem.

Has anybody figured out how to get the thing to work or do we just live with it? Otherwise, I really like the car!

Reactions: Wol747
The browser on my December 2016 S is pretty much worthless. I had thought the recall might have improved things but I got that a few weeks ago and it did not help. Tesla does offer an update that several reports show does improve things but given that I don't use the browser that often I'm passing on the update for now.

The browser on my December 2016 S is pretty much worthless. I had thought the recall might have improved things but I got that a few weeks ago and it did not help. Tesla does offer an update that several reports show does improve things but given that I don't use the browser that often I'm passing on the update for now.
This does not help the OP but the browser on my car ‘16 MCU1 does handles quite good. Of course it freezes if I’m trying to launch Teslawaze as two competitive map rendering is too much for that computer. My solution has been that if you launch any web page while stationary then all will work fine. I mainly use only Teslawinds while driving.

Yes, you are experiencing normal behavior. Supposedly its much better on the 2021 Model S, but I realize that does you no good. LOL

On the flip side, enjoy your fast P100D. Nice choice. Did you buy from tesla? Whats the marketprice on those these days?

I recently bought a used 2017 P100D and upgraded to the MCU2? I do not have FSD.

My question is about the web browser function. It really has never worked that well. Now, it will only go to a website(reddit.com) for about 45 seconds and then it just crashes and shuts down. I have rebooted the MCU and still hasn't and it still hasn't resolved the problem.

Has anybody figured out how to get the thing to work or do we just live with it? Otherwise, I really like the car!
Yes. It’s sucks.

Yes it sucks. However, after i did the upgrade to MCU2 it was actually useable. It reminds me of the speed somewhere between the last 56k modem and the first DSL connection. It works but not at the blistering speeds we have become used to with people having gigabit connections in their houses.

Why use it anyway? just use your phone. All the rest of the stuff on the MCU2 works great though its just the browser that sucks ass and that is likely due to them coding it in such a manner. Because the MCU2 doesn't have the best hardware but it has more than enough power to run a browser without issues.

Also even when I'm in front of a computer i use the reddit app because it has infinite scrolling instead other the web version that you have to click next page on all the time.

So mine is set to open WeatherUnderground, as Tesla won't give a weather overlay on the nav map. It use to be so unsatable, opening the browsing would crash the MCU. Now, however, it won't even open the webpage, the broswer just crashes about 5 seconds after try to open. But atleast the whole dash doesn't crash, just the browser, so this is better?

Not impressed. Why use it instead of phone? Because in our remote area, Verizon and AT&T have different areas that work. Car is on AT&T, personal phones are Verizon. Some areas, the AT&T is good and used to place a table reservation at a restaurant before we got there (pulled over and did this). Our Verizon phones had no coverage in the area, so won't work. Plus paying $9.95 for premium internet in the car, so shouldn't this work and not crash the browser?

Again, NOT impressed with this Tech in my $100k "mobile computer"

Reactions: TessP100D
I know.... I have an M3 (one of the earliest) but my wife's MS browser compared to mine made mine look worthless. Then I got an offer to upgrade the computer (gratis) - that made a big difference. (Her 1st MS 2013 was also worthless). Anyway, ya gotta be in range of a decent signal otherwise like having a black wall phone in the kitchen with an extra long cord so it'll reach the whole house.

The set up on my S LR 2020 is hopeless: it used to load the browser, Netflix, YouTube or whatever slowly but in under 30 seconds. Now it takes several minutes, with a "progress" bar slowly creeping across the screen center. (Never used to have one.)
It's essentially useless unless you have a 40 minute stop.

Reactions: TessP100D
Complained to my S/C about MCU1 issues and they told me to upgrade to MCU2 as the browser worked fine on that.

Well I paid a lot of money and the browser still doesn't work in any usable sense, crashes on almost everything and restarts to the Tesla homepage.
Upgrade was a complete waste of money for me.

Dont care for games and "theatre" nonsense; and the dashcam functionality was the only other thing of interest until I find out retrospectively that the cameras on my 2017 car are not true color so I just get a washed out image and no camera upgrade offered unless you have FSD and even then glwt.
Proper dashcam is 1/10 the price of the upgrade.
What's worse it still crashes as often as the MCU1 did which was that other point the s/c sold it to me on.

So much for Tesla being a software company that happens to build cars, think we are on Windows Me or Vista right now.

Message to Tesla is: stop adding sh*t until you make the basics work (and I include the hopeless autowipers and dangerous;y uesless auto main beam in that).

Complained to my S/C about MCU1 issues and they told me to upgrade to MCU2 as the browser worked fine on that.

Well I paid a lot of money and the browser still doesn't work in any usable sense, crashes on almost everything and restarts to the Tesla homepage.
Upgrade was a complete waste of money for me.

Dont care for games and "theatre" nonsense; and the dashcam functionality was the only other thing of interest until I find out retrospectively that the cameras on my 2017 car are not true color so I just get a washed out image and no camera upgrade offered unless you have FSD and even then glwt.
Proper dashcam is 1/10 the price of the upgrade.
What's worse it still crashes as often as the MCU1 did which was that other point the s/c sold it to me on.

So much for Tesla being a software company that happens to build cars, think we are on Windows Me or Vista right now.

Message to Tesla is: stop adding sh*t until you make the basics work (and I include the hopeless autowipers and dangerous;y uesless auto main beam in that).
I agree 100%

Reactions: Wol747 and Jpandes