Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the WiFi on the Model 3 really this weak or is it just mine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So at home. I had to put a repeater in the garage because my Tesla (parked in front of that garage) couldn't see my WiFi. Even then, it only got a 'dot and one bar'. I assumed the garage metal door was interfering with the signal.

Tonight, I'm at the cottage and my WiFi reaches the lake front, which is about 70 feet from the cottage. Both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz reaches. I can even do Teams/Zoom meetings from the dock. My Tesla is parked near the cottage (about 5 feet) and I still only get a 'dot and one bar' of signal! And it's just the 2.4 GHz band. I don't see the 5 GHz band.

Is this normal for the WiFi to be this weak?

So at home. I had to put a repeater in the garage because my Tesla (parked in front of that garage) couldn't see my WiFi. Even then, it only got a 'dot and one bar'. I assumed the garage metal door was interfering with the signal.

Tonight, I'm at the cottage and my WiFi reaches the lake front, which is about 70 feet from the cottage. Both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz reaches. I can even do Teams/Zoom meetings from the dock. My Tesla is parked near the cottage (about 5 feet) and I still only get a 'dot and one bar' of signal! And it's just the 2.4 GHz band. I don't see the 5 GHz band.

Is this normal for the WiFi to be this weak?
if you stand near the car in the most obstructed/worst position, what signal strength do you get

Upvote 0
Wi-Fi antenna is in the drivers side mirror housing IIRC. If I park front first into my garage, my mirror is on the opposite side of where my Orbi mesh Wi-Fi satellite is downstairs in the den. It‘s almost directly below the primary Orbi router in the bonus room (above the garage). I get like one bar in this position, and WiFi barely works (it only attempts to connect to 5GHz).

If I back in, so that my drivers side mirror is facing the direction of downstair Orbi satellite, I get two bars and Wi-Fi works.

I don’t prefer to back in, so I ordered a second used Orbi satellite from Amazon Warehouse Deals to add in the garage. That should help with coverage and the dedicated back haul Wi-Fi channel should maintain my internet speeds.

Upvote 0
Wi-Fi antenna is in the drivers side mirror housing IIRC. If I park front first into my garage, my mirror is on the opposite side of where my Orbi mesh Wi-Fi satellite is downstairs in the den. It‘s almost directly below the primary Orbi router in the bonus room (above the garage). I get like one bar in this position, and WiFi barely works (it only attempts to connect to 5GHz).

If I back in, so that my drivers side mirror is facing the direction of downstair Orbi satellite, I get two bars and Wi-Fi works.

I don’t prefer to back in, so I ordered a second used Orbi satellite from Amazon Warehouse Deals to add in the garage. That should help with coverage and the dedicated back haul Wi-Fi channel should maintain my internet speeds.
The car is parked rear toward the house and the driver side mirror has an unobstructed view of the house. That's its best position for signal strength.

Upvote 0
WiFi antenna is located in the right side (passenger, for LHD vehicles) mirror housing.

Upvote 0
I'd say place the front of the mirror housing toward the WiFi access point. I believe that the antenna is behind the mirror so if the mirror side is facing the access point, the mirror itself is blocking the signal. Since mirrors have a metallic film, you're effectively blocking the signal.

Upvote 0
I presume there is no network connection in the garage
You could try powerline adaptors providing there is power in the garage and the electical outlets are on the same phase at each end
in essence that would create a cabled network connection between the house to the garage, or between wherever they are located
over the electrical wiring

You could then mount a wireless AP with cabled network connection in the garage closer to your car.
Connect it to the powerline adaptor with a network cable and connect the other powerline adapter to your router. Reducing the possibility of the garage obstructing wifi signal

Powerline adapters usually come in pairs ready to go out of the box, you can also add additional units if required

Upvote 0
Here are the signal strength with a router (spare Linksys EA2700) moved around the car to see how strong the signal was at those location:

In front of the car
1632572593032.png

Near passenger front fender
1632572666769.png

Near passenger front door
1632572728216.png

Near driver's front fender
1632572809465.png

Near driver door
1632572872888.png

On the center console
1632572912308.png

So, the strongest signal is with the router INSIDE the car?!? If the antenna is disconnected, that might explain why that's where the best signal is since that's probably where the antenna connects to.

The thing is, my daughter's Model 3 also sees the same signal strength when parked beside mine at home so unless both have their antenna's disconnected, it's odd that they've put the antenna INSIDE the car.

Upvote 0