Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the windshield different in a cold weather package X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cold weather package has the heated windshield for the wiper blades. Do they put a different windshield in or is it the same windshield with the heaters disabled?

Does this have any correlation to ghosting?

The cold weather package has the heated windshield for the wiper blades. Do they put a different windshield in or is it the same windshield with the heaters disabled?

Does this have any correlation to ghosting?

I have the Cold Weather package, but can't see any visible heaters on mine. I have ghosting though - that's very clearly visible :confused:

• Funny
Reactions: ccutrer
Yes, down where the wipers are parked there are defroster bands if you have subzero package, just like on the S somewhat. Bands like you see in the rear window but just a few along wipers. I'm guessing there may be a 3rd/4th windshield in future as the new AP2 hardware cars looked to have defrosters by the new cameras in windshield, or maybe those are built into the internal housing for those.

Yes, down where the wipers are parked there are defroster bands if you have subzero package, just like on the S somewhat. Bands like you see in the rear window but just a few along wipers. I'm guessing there may be a 3rd/4th windshield in future as the new AP2 hardware cars looked to have defrosters by the new cameras in windshield, or maybe those are built into the internal housing for those.
How do you turn that heating on?

It's automatic.

45F, really? That's a bunch of BS. Unless you call 'heated' the fact that every electric device produces some heat by the virtue of being turned on and working.. If there was any heating element installed it should be around 100F the same way wipers and or steering wheel are.

That 45-50F will be completely useless in 25F and freezing rain at 70mph

45F, really? That's a bunch of BS. Unless you call 'heated' the fact that every electric device produces some heat by the virtue of being turned on and working.. If there was any heating element installed it should be around 100F the same way wipers and or steering wheel are.

That 45-50F will be completely useless in 25F and freezing rain at 70mph

I think it's a little unfair to make that assumption at this point. There's a lot of different types of heating elements and they probably aren't fixed wattage output -- i.e. there are materials that are set to conduct more electricity as they get colder so they actually end up heating more (a good example of this is high voltage heat tape in gutters on a commercial building). Once they warm to some temperature (say 45 or 50F) they become highly resistive to electricity and stop heating up further. This would actually be a good thing for the electronics inside to prevent damage. The heaters could also be thermostatically (digitally) controlled.

I think it's a little unfair to make that assumption at this point. There's a lot of different types of heating elements and they probably aren't fixed wattage output -- i.e. there are materials that are set to conduct more electricity as they get colder so they actually end up heating more (a good example of this is high voltage heat tape in gutters on a commercial building). Once they warm to some temperature (say 45 or 50F) they become highly resistive to electricity and stop heating up further. This would actually be a good thing for the electronics inside to prevent damage. The heaters could also be thermostatically (digitally) controlled.
I highly doubt it. For several reasons:
1. All that adds cost and complexity and Tesla has many more better places to spend cash than on designing fancy camera heater that would stay around 50F
2. Even if the solution was easy and cheap - why didn't they apply it to windshield heaters as well?
3. The amount of heat transferred though plastic or glass enclosure depends on difference between outside and inside temperature and ability of the material to transfer that heat (glass is a pretty good insulator) quickly to work against the elements. Again, 50F is simply not enough to keep that element from icing over in freezing mist or rain at 70mph.

The CCD and/or CMOS sensors being used in these cameras all generate heat when active. It could be that Tesla is using that heat on these side cameras as part of the defrost function. That would account for the temp reading in that flir video.

I am not sure if the rear or side facing cameras have any additional heating. The front has for sure.

Got a little off topic with AP2 camera stuff, but to answer posters question about how to turn on the heated windshield area, its the heated wiper icon - just to the right of heated steering wheel icon in the cold weather menu of controls. you'll only see the cold weather menu if you have the subzero package.

• Informative
Reactions: Stasla
How do you turn that heating on?
I have AP1. Double touch the front windscreen icon it activates the defroster including the mirrors. The seats, steering and seats are touch activated as well.

Attachments

• 20161221_153726.jpg
    20161221_153726.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 20161221_153824.jpg
    20161221_153824.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20161221_153925.jpg
    20161221_153925.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Informative
Reactions: Stasla