Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there ‘really’ quality control issues in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’ve had the M3 added to our company car list so a number of folk got some last quarter. Most folk had minor issues with paint work or panels. Pick mine up next week and been advised to give it a proper once over before driving off. One lad’s M3 has constant issues however.

I did have lots of snags which were eventually fixed. I have not experienced it with any other cars. I ‘forgive’ Tesla more than I would another manufacturer - why you may ask? Despite the many snags (remedied over about 3 service visits!), it’s a fabulous car to drive, it’s great to support innovation and be green, the staff at the service centres are polite and friendly. (I test drove other e cars and none compared in my opinion).

Reactions: pow216 and Cnixon
My M3 was delivered end of April. Bit of faffing around the delivery but cant really blame them for that during the lockdown. I was in daily contact with one of their employees via email and phone who eventually sorted out the delivery. Car in good shape. No issues. Fantastic drive. I've driven cars for 40 years including having Boxters for 8 years - and this is the best car I've driven.

I’ve not had my car yet (Thursday) but I’ve been floating around these forums for about a month and can say they read no differently to any other car forums I’ve ever been on.

Rather inherently people tend to come to car forums (or the internet) to complain or ask questions, and those who ask questions often get responses from others who’re there to complain and talk about their issues even more which only leads to more percieved negativity.

As above, these forums don’t feel any different to the Honda, Peugeot, Porsche or Range Rover forums I’ve visited before, it’s just the issues here are often more unique :)

I am a bit wary of a new poster like this. Others have been ripped limb from limb. However...this OP sounds like someone able to suggest some probing yet nonbiased questions to ask members (i don't know the name of these but we can place them at the top of thread). The results could be useful.

I’ve not had my car yet (Thursday) but I’ve been floating around these forums for about a month and can say they read no differently to any other car forums I’ve ever been on.

Rather inherently people tend to come to car forums (or the internet) to complain or ask questions, and those who ask questions often get responses from others who’re there to complain and talk about their issues even more which only leads to more percieved negativity.

As above, these forums don’t feel any different to the Honda, Peugeot, Porsche or Range Rover forums I’ve visited before, it’s just the issues here are often more unique :)
Chattin' a lot today...i had a choice between a bog standard ipace with every cool option removed (my choice to make the comparisn fair - you know.). The jag suffered from things that really matter charging crippled, (no SC's), infotainment issues, poor range. Tesla's issues are soft problems by comparison so we talk and moan but the car still go's and goooooo's

Exactly, I had 2 DPFs fail in 2 years on my old evoque, covered by warranty (one good will) as it’s a known design fault but it could have easily cost £2k+ a pop and they were happening daily with other customers. Those are real faults, Tesla faults appear (generally) to be more disappointingly avoidable and it’s infuriating to see and it isn’t excusable, but it’s not as if the battery’s are failing on high quantities of cars.

Tesla are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you gonna get.

I had a couple of noises that were just due to trim not being clicked in, and for the first week of ownership a rear window would pop up when closing the door (and scratched the chrome). All fixed by Tesla with no hassle (other than long wait for a ranger to replace the chrome).

But, I feel so much more confident that the car will do what it's supposed to do, get me from A to B, without the myriad of mechanical problems I've had with cars over the years.

I doubt Tesla have more problems than BMW, as an example, but they probably have more "well, that really should have been picked up in production or PDI" type issues.

Incidentally, a Tesla tech told me that model 3 is far more reliable than the S, which still is a nightmare in terms of wiring and legacy designs.

Reactions: Cnixon
I do. And seems like you hate yours.

What can I say? You may want me to say I have all hose things wrong with my car, but I just don't! Maybe I'm just lucky, but that's what it is...
Please stop getting so wound up. I 'liked' your first post - very elequently put. I don't want to get into this. I do love my car but go back to your first post and read it back. We are first adopters and other car manufacturers will not tell Tesla how to sort out the likes of paint issues and panel fit & pressings. Tesla are learning as they go and doing a fine job, but their customer facing management are appalling.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Please stop getting so wound up. I 'liked' your first post - very elequently put. I don't want to get into this. I do love my car but go back to your first post and read it back. We are first adopters and other car manufacturers will not tell Tesla how to sort out the likes of paint issues and panel fit & pressings. Tesla are learning as they go and doing a fine job, but their customer facing management are appalling.
Sorry, I clearly misinterpreted the intent in your previous post :)

Picked up my Red SR+ with tow bar in February this year from Birmingham. Was a cash sale so no company lease to soften any issues I may find.

Very pleased overall with the fit and finish. Only found frunk undertray needed clipping in by nosing about when I installed the £5 for two bag clips which are somehow shipped in less than a week from China!
Fitted mud flaps the same day I received the car.

Paint may be soft/thin but I remember a BMW 3 series I purchased new some years ago that suffered terribly with bird muck staining the paint and a heater control valve that refused to work in winter yet took a few returns before it was replaced. Also needed a new clutch during warranty period.