Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a an easy, quality solution for a quick swap of the speakers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on experience with S: best bang for buck and a fool proof improvement is to dampen selected body panels. You can do relatively little by only changing speakers.

I went in 3 stages: swapped speakers with little result, added actively equalized amp and sub with some improvement, and finally dampened pretty much every panel possible with acceptable outcome. I am pretty convinced I’d start from step 3 if I had to do it again for current or another car (and would know which ones to prioritize). Resonating interior panels and cavities kill especially the quality of bass. Secondary bonus is effect on road noise (& zero rattles) and maybe even to thermal insulation.

Step 3 was also the cheapest as DYI job, but did take a lot of time.

Last edited:
The best in car audio I've ever heard is Volvo's current Bowers & Wilkins setup. The audio quality and setup is just superb... though it could use a bit deeper bass extension (rolls off around 25 Hz). The Nautilus aluminum tweeters reach gracefully high, and the center is dash mounted facing you to avoid the glass reflection so many others use. The Kevlar mids are facing you in the doors. Though from what I could tell, the woofers were just paper (same as all the Model 3s speakers, except the tweeters which appear to be textile). The subwoofer is also an infinite baffle design as it's built directly into the frame of the vehicle! It has a 8 or 10 band EQ, and multiple listening settings (studio reference, which you can tune specifically to the driver, passenger, or all seats; individual stage, to adjust depth and surround; and Gothenburg concert hall to mimic its "exact acoustic properties" as if in a live concert).

The Model 3 is probably the 2nd best system I've ever heard. With a bit more power and better quality driver materials and speaker placement that is less reliant on windshield reflection, it'd probably be the best. But I'm guessing Tesla didn't want to go down the path of diminishing returns for higher costs. I do wish the subwoofer reached deeper given its ported design... not sure how large the driver is, but 2x 80W voice coils says enough. I also feel that the L/R channel separation isn't pronounced enough.

Last edited:
The best in car audio I've ever heard is Volvo's current Bowers & Wilkins setup. The audio quality and setup is just superb... though it could use a bit deeper bass extension (rolls off around 25 Hz). The Nautilus aluminum tweeters reach gracefully high, and the center is dash mounted facing you to avoid the glass reflection so many others use. The Kevlar mids are facing you in the doors. Though from what I could tell, the woofers were just paper (same as all the Model 3s speakers, except the tweeters which appear to be textile). The subwoofer is also an infinite baffle design as it's built directly into the frame of the vehicle! It has a 8 or 10 band EQ, and multiple listening settings (studio reference, which you can tune specifically to the driver, passenger, or all seats; individual stage, to adjust depth and surround; and Gothenburg concert hall to mimic its "exact acoustic properties" as if in a live concert).

The Model 3 is probably the 2nd best system I've ever heard. With a bit more power and better quality driver materials and speaker placement that is less reliant on windshield reflection, it'd probably be the best. But I'm guessing Tesla didn't want to go down the path of diminishing returns for higher costs. I do wish the subwoofer reached deeper given its ported design... not sure how large the driver is, but 2x 80W voice coils says enough. I also feel that the L/R channel separation isn't pronounced enough.

Yea it is an 8 inch woofer.

Since you find it lacking, I figured you must have some experience with stock car audio that you thought was better and had the highs and lows you are looking for. I was wondering what that was. One can always get better "something" by throwing money at it, but there is normally a point of diminishing returns.

For me, the model 3 has the best stock audio system I have ever heard, and would require significant investment to get something better (with significant being numbers in the thousands, not hundreds).

My 2013 Model S had the premium sound system and it was so much better than the Model 3 premium audio that I was convinced the car had the stereo of the Standard Range variety. There's far less treble in the Model 3 system.

My 2013 Model S had the premium sound system and it was so much better than the Model 3 premium audio that I was convinced the car had the stereo of the Standard Range variety. There's far less treble in the Model 3 system.
First I've heard this. My experience coming from an S to 3 was the exact opposite. The Model 3 system has more clarity and is better balanced.

Reactions: jb007gd
First I've heard this. My experience coming from an S to 3 was the exact opposite. The Model 3 system has more clarity and is better balanced.

So - I came back to this post specifically to call out a mistake I made. When I wrote my initial impression, the quality of my source audio wasn't that great; I think some of the streaming music built into our cars might be at a low bitrate. I turned on immersive sound and used a known-good-quality audio file (just an MP3 at a high bitrate, not FLAC or anything crazy) and was immediately impressed.

So I stand corrected! The Model 3 stereo is pretty effing sweet after all, I just needed to give it good input to play!

Reactions: Lifeinabox and Zcd1
I still think the B&O system in my Audi was slightly better but I'm thinking it may have to do with the glass roof as opposed to just a sunroof and the rest roof liner. The diffusion is different with a glass roof in the Tesla vs cars with more standard headliner

Based on experience with S: best bang for buck and a fool proof improvement is to dampen selected body panels. You can do relatively little by only changing speakers.

I went in 3 stages: swapped speakers with little result, added actively equalized amp and sub with some improvement, and finally dampened pretty much every panel possible with acceptable outcome. I am pretty convinced I’d start from step 3 if I had to do it again for current or another car (and would know which ones to prioritize). Resonating interior panels and cavities kill especially the quality of bass. Secondary bonus is effect on road noise (& zero rattles) and maybe even to thermal insulation.

Step 3 was also the cheapest as DYI job, but did take a lot of time.

Care to share what you did, and how you did it? Id love to do same!!

Care to share what you did, and how you did it? Id love to do same!!
I wish I documented everything, but I never planned to do as much as I did in the end. And for a first timer it took plenty enough time without documenting. In fact we’ve done now almost all the same to a friend’s Model S, which has been interesting comparison between facelift AWD and a prefacelift RWD.

You can find usable instructions piece by piece in this forum and on youtube to tear down specific parts of the car. If you have specific questions let me know.

I’d say the best overall roadnoise effect was from doing wheel wells externally under the liners with dynamat type of material and a closed cell foam which can be easily molded into shape. Easy, but expect spend a couple of hours with each wheel. Also expect to use a lot of brake cleaner to get the grime off metal. There is a lot of bare metal especially in the back. Do careful job to not create places for moisture and dirt to build up.

Second best effect was from doing same treatment to the doors while changing the speakers. Add softer material as well but be careful not to stuff so much that the door panel doesn’t fit back in.

Third best idea was to build a full glass roof heat shield from aluminium paper and same closed cell foam + upholster it with acoustic felt cloth. All that glass reflects sound.

Surprising was that subwoofer sound quality was greatly improved by adding a lot of closed cell foam and a bit of dynamat inside trunk lid (you can’t add much weight here). It has a huge cavity, just tap on the plastic panel ... its a drum. This was relatively easy job, only the removal of trunk lid buzzer was a little tricky and needed extra pair of hands. Wheel well treatment had additional audible improvement to bass tightness.

A pillars were easy, especially after spending dozens of hours already with all types of clips Tesla uses. Might not seem much but I found a few holes in the A pillar which surely leak a bit of sound through the body, so was worth doing. Note to not build anything that blocks airbags.

Dashboard treatment also had good effect on the midbass (and to the quality feel of cabin), especially preventing rattling and also within the dash you’ll find so much empty space for nice resonations. I also used felt tape in bits to treat all clips and most touching surfaces. I got this idea from door panels where they do it at the factory. I was wrapping the dash wood panels anyway, so additional job was less. Can’t say little as I used 5 meters of felt tape mostly in few millimeter bits... felt tape hell.

Least effect IMO was from doing b pillars and floors, but by now they start be a small job to finish off. You can do 80% of floor without removing carpet or seats if you’re having door sills off. I haven’t done trunk as the wheel well treatment pretty much removed rear noise at least from driver (me), and trunk lid fixed subwoofer.

Doing any deadening in AWD frunk is pointless, you can get to meaningful surfaces in the firewall while doing the wheel wells. Middle area of firewall is unreachable without extensive tech dismantling.

A couple of learnings: use good materials which are easy to work with, saving bucks here will cause regrets. I mean, I did use maybe 500 euros on material, but its nothing compared to time spent while working on this project. You’ll need good lighting, I did the dash in a dark garage with phone led flashlight, was a bad idea. Do the project bit by bit but plan enough time and material to finish what you start. Buy spare clips, e.g. blue clips tend to go bad and door clips may not hold after a couple of removals. Vinyl prying tools are necessary.