Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a better solution to the trunk floor cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my used 2013 Tesla S85 for almost a year now - 50k km in. I love the car, was dreaming about it for 2 years before I could sit my @ss in it...

When people ask me what I do NOT like about the car, I do not have much to say. But there is one thing...

I do not know what it is called in english... but you know, in the trunk, there is that faux-floor to hide the hole that serves for the 3-row seats... Well, that piece of floor - I love the 'hole since I put my Chademo, extra cable, etc. in there' - but the faux-floor, when you lift it, it does not stand still, always fall, is out of place...

Am I the only one pissed bu that faux-floor or whatever it is really called? Does anyboby found a solution to have it fixed/standing still, etc...

Merci pour votre aide!

F

My faux-floor was falling, mine is a late 2014, but I solved the problem by being very careful not to overload the area below the faux-floor. I also keep the CHAdeMO, extension cord for 120v charging, assorting cleaning materials and a few shopping bags. Possibly when they become older they become worse, I do not know about that, mine has 32000km.

I have had my used 2013 Tesla S85 for almost a year now - 50k km in. I love the car, was dreaming about it for 2 years before I could sit my @ss in it...

When people ask me what I do NOT like about the car, I do not have much to say. But there is one thing...

I do not know what it is called in english... but you know, in the trunk, there is that faux-floor to hide the hole that serves for the 3-row seats... Well, that piece of floor - I love the 'hole since I put my Chademo, extra cable, etc. in there' - but the faux-floor, when you lift it, it does not stand still, always fall, is out of place...

Am I the only one pissed bu that faux-floor or whatever it is really called? Does anyboby found a solution to have it fixed/standing still, etc...

Merci pour votre aide!

F

There is a solution. Just attach hinges on the back side of the lid as I did. Then you just lift it up from the rear and when you've added or removed stuff from the space it drops back into place perfectly.

We just removed the cover from the rear well on our car. Now grocery bags fit great and don't spill over.

The cover didn't really support much weight anyway, and we found that we had to make accommodations to its limit when we loaded the trunk. Of course, we can always put it back in if for some reason we need the flat trunk floor.

There is a new cover for the trunk well (new means it came out in 2014) which has a plastic frame rather than a cardboard one. I got it for my 2013 and it's far better. Holds in place better and supports far more weight without bending.

There is a new cover for the trunk well (new means it came out in 2014) which has a plastic frame rather than a cardboard one. I got it for my 2013 and it's far better. Holds in place better and supports far more weight without bending.

^^^^^^ this. our early 2012/2013 came with this flimsy piece of crap. one of the loaners I had once had a very very very solid plastic backplate on it. i asked about this change and the service center just gave me the new one for free. that was an issue for me since sometimes i have my dogs back there and the original flimsy one would collapse and my dogs would fall into the well. that doesnt happen anymore with the new one.

We just removed the cover from the rear well on our car. Now grocery bags fit great and don't spill over.

The cover didn't really support much weight anyway, and we found that we had to make accommodations to its limit when we loaded the trunk. Of course, we can always put it back in if for some reason we need the flat trunk floor.

I do that too, just remove it and store it in the house.

Interesting. My late-build 2013 (VIN 25xxx) has the plastic-backed, more robust cover; I wasn't even aware there was an earlier, flimisier one.

I wonder if anyone has bent or broken the newer version? I was about to step on it when doing the Abstract Ocean LED upgrade in the hatch, but thought better of it just in time. That recognition made me wonder just how strong the thing actually is... almost put my back out loading a box of copier paper the other day, trying to drop it down closer to the back seats, just in case...

There is a solution. Just attach hinges on the back side of the lid as I did. Then you just lift it up from the rear and when you've added or removed stuff from the space it drops back into place perfectly.

For me, I just pivot it under the parcel shelf. That holds it up on my car for me to easily get whatever I want out of that area and then pivot it down.

Bonus, if you pull out the cover and fold up the strip, you can fit it in nicely (assuming no 3rd row seats) so you don't have to put it elsewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

^^^^^^ this. our early 2012/2013 came with this flimsy piece of crap. one of the loaners I had once had a very very very solid plastic backplate on it. i asked about this change and the service center just gave me the new one for free. that was an issue for me since sometimes i have my dogs back there and the original flimsy one would collapse and my dogs would fall into the well. that doesnt happen anymore with the new one.

Wow. I never experienced this on my 2013. It must have been replaced before the car came to me (a CPO). I've sat on it without issue and I weigh more than my 100 lb black lab. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I do that too, just remove it and store it in the house.

Did you know that if you do not have rear seats, it fits along the bottom of the housing so you can store it in the car.

For me, I just pivot it under the parcel shelf. That holds it up on my car for me to easily get whatever I want out of that area and then pivot it down.

ESrwxGk.jpg

Bonus, if you pull out the cover and fold up the strip, you can fit it in nicely (assuming no 3rd row seats) so you don't have to put it elsewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. I never experienced this on my 2013. It must have been replaced before the car came to me (a CPO). I've sat on it without issue and I weigh more than my 100 lb black lab. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Did you know that if you do not have rear seats, it fits along the bottom of the housing so you can store it in the car.

Even if you have the rear seats, it will fit between the (third row) rear seats and the back of the second row seats when you have the third row unfolded. You have to sort of wedge it back against the back seats, with the hinged flap on the bottom, but it will fit.