Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a button on the yoke that can answer the phone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think mashing the center of the wheel (once mapped) will only work for cars built after a certain date. I think it was in Nov sometime.

I hate to say it but I prefer using the controls in my M3 more than the S. The horn is where it should be, I can answer calls easily, adjust the following distance from the scroll wheel, turn signals and shifters are much easier to use, and the list goes on.

This is pretty sad as it isn't like the 3 had a brilliant interface to begin with. Tesla could have done more with the scroll wheels on all models. They could have added buttons on the back side of the wheel to control more items. So many missed opportunities for a much better interface.

Reactions: SDRick
This does not work yet but promised in an upcoming update, you need to palm mash the right hand side controls for now. My understanding is you will be able to do both methods once implemented.

Mash only for a short toot or mash and hold for continuous. Click on the icon below for video.

Did you even watch that video? The persons index finger is very clearly hitting the horn button.

Flip your yoke upside down and cover it with your palm. Let us know how it goes.

Are you missing some screws? Of coarse I watched the video, I made it!

Here is an upside down yoke video I made with no fingers but I guess you will claim I have some remote control someone is using to activate the horn while I simulate palming. :rolleyes: Get over it, palming works as advertised!
Once again, genius, we can see you hitting the physical button with your hand.

So no, it still does not work as described or intended.

• Disagree
Reactions: henderrj
The video is correct. Palming the right side creates a "burst" horn. The horn button alone cannot create this sound, only the standard horn. I still have a hard time getting the palm technique to work in the heat of battle when someone is about to hit me. The wipers always work when that happens, so there's that.

Model S Plaid owner

Here’s a “dangerous” scenario I encountered easily 4 or 5 times so far.

Mind you, I live in NJ.
There’s a reason they say certain things about jersey drivers.
The horn and high beam flashing are our unspoken 3rd and 4th turn signal.
Left.
Right.
Flash the high beams.
Tap the horn.
Welcome to “safe driving” in NJ.

Anyways I’m driving.
Another car is coming into my lane.
Maybe I’m in their blind spot.
Or maybe I’m coming up faster than them intended to pass by them and they start drifting into my lane.

I used to flash the headlights.
That button is a pain to hit/find also.

Now, the other car doesn’t stop drifting into my lane.

this is all within a few split seconds…

So I let off The power pedal.
Goal is to let my regen braking slow me down a bit
I smash the right side of yoke to try to activate the horn
And instead
1. Wipers activate
2. Voice function alerts
3. Car goes into autopilot (bec “smashing” causes the scroll wheel to get pushed) and the car suddenly maintains its speed and I nearly get myself side swiped.

Everything else freaking activated except the horn!

But atleast my windshield was clean.

🤯😤

I even tried to engage with him in a private message. No response. The impression is that he wants to be right, not to discover the truth. Hopefully I'm wrong.
I’ll publicly respond to you now that you’ve made it public…you claim because you’ve been driving for 50+ years that you understand the long-term viability of the secondary market for new vehicle platforms that are technology based. Sorry, but you either don’t understand tech companies business models or you’ve just got your head in the clouds.

So maybe you should look into that if you’re interested in “discovering the truth”.

I smash the right side of yoke to try to activate the horn
And instead
1. Wipers activate
2. Voice function alerts
3. Car goes into autopilot (bec “smashing” causes the scroll wheel to get pushed) and the car suddenly maintains its speed and I nearly get myself side swiped.

Everything else freaking activated except the horn!

But atleast my windshield was clean.

🤯😤
This is EXACTLY what happens when you attempt the palm activation in real life. Not sitting in a driveway.

You know as a long time Apple devotee I've felt Steve would have never excepted this or that Apple product or service shortcoming. He would have stopped everthing and made them get it right. Well Elon is still here and his attention is generally on things I feel are a waste of time. So busy looking ahead that he's missing common sense things. EVERY human currently driving has been groomed to mash a horn in the center of the steering wheel in a panic emergency. Cavalierly changing it's location and rationalizing that we can just adjust is not right. Just yesterday I struggled with trying to lower the heat while driving. It just shouldn't be this hard. I shouldn't have to think about some things.

I'll bet they might get serious if someone has an accident while trying to change the windshield wipers or climate heat. Imagine the media reactions.
ALL cars are different. YOU are responsible for knowing how to use your car's functions, for being able to steer and honk the horn (which really isn't necessary) and tune the radio if that's what you need. Personally I was not groomed to mash the center of the steering wheel to do anything. Not living in New York, we don't need to honk the horn to get the car to move, and horn honking is not part of the California driver's test. As to having an accident while trying to turn the windshield wipers or the heater on, that's YOUR job. You are supposed to be familiar with and know how to use all those buttons and levers and stalks before you drive off.

I imagine the media reaction being "thirteen year old drives across double line into oncoming traffic, kills seven." No telling what he was doing, but he obviously wasn't in control of the car, not to mention wasn't old enough to be in the driver's seat. If you can't adjust, don't ever try to drive a stick shift. THREE pedals, and that lever thing sticking out of the floor, prove to be too much for many drivers.

If what Elon said is correct and cars made after November are set up to utilize the center pad for the horn, I'm not sure what's taking so long for this software update? It has been consistent complaint by some or many for months.

Hopefully we can get the best of both worlds and that would include the ability to answer incoming calls on the yoke.

Reactions: glide
I’ll publicly respond to you now that you’ve made it public…you claim because you’ve been driving for 50+ years that you understand the long-term viability of the secondary market for new vehicle platforms that are technology based. Sorry, but you either don’t understand tech companies business models or you’ve just got your head in the clouds.

So maybe you should look into that if you’re interested in “discovering the truth”.

Actually I ran technology companies for most of my adult life. I'm more than familiar with how it works. Technology is easy to upgrade in most situations. Once again we can go to the aircraft market. There are a lot of 50-year-old airplanes with 2022 electronics in them. Sometimes it's worth upgrading things. Sometimes it's worth maintaining things. I still contend that the model x will be around for a very long time, that was after all where our discussion started.

I was going to just click ignore on your username, but, I'll watch for a while longer. At least you don't use foul language!.

Actually I ran technology companies for most of my adult life. I'm more than familiar with how it works. Technology is easy to upgrade in most situations. Once again we can go to the aircraft market. There are a lot of 50-year-old airplanes with 2022 electronics in them. Sometimes it's worth upgrading things. Sometimes it's worth maintaining things. I still contend that the model x will be around for a very long time, that was after all where our discussion started.

I was going to just click ignore on your username, but, I'll watch for a while longer. At least you don't use foul language!.
Feel free to ignore me. I simply think you’re wrong. This is a technology company, not a car company.

And all indications, based on past and existing product lines, is they do not build these vehicles to be user serviceable or supportable in the long run.

Go talk to someone with a pre-AP vehicle who’s range has degraded, supercharging was crippled, car is full of rattles, and a replacement battery still costs $25K. Then tell me these vehicles were meant to last 50 years.

Feel free to ignore me. I simply think you’re wrong. This is a technology company, not a car company.

And all indications, based on past and existing product lines, is they do not build these vehicles to be user serviceable or supportable in the long run.

Go talk to someone with a pre-AP vehicle who’s range has degraded, supercharging was crippled, car is full of rattles, and a replacement battery still costs $25K. Then tell me these vehicles were meant to last 50 years.

It would be nice if you actually read anything I wrote. I told you my own car has 250,000 miles on it with the original battery. Yes, the supercharging is slow now. Yes there is some battery degradation but nothing significant. Yes it has rattles here and there. I still intend to keep it for a very long time. And the model x is much, much more desirable than an old model s. These will be collectible items. Have you driven in a 1950s '60s or '70s car? They are death traps! Noisy, uncomfortable, pretty much nothing we want now. People still spend 50 and $70,000 updating them so that they can keep driving them. There's a 1980s vintage Jeep in my backyard that my son paid way too much money for, and will spend three times as much refurbishing. People keep cars they like. Tesla cars are very well liked. But, I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall. End of conversation for me.