Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a chance that people waiting for standard range will receive better hardware for EAP & FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m going to be honest. I had some unforeseen circumstances that are forcing me to postpone delivery of my model three until next year. This means I will lose at least half of the tax credit. Is there a chance that waiting longer will lead to receiving better hardware for EAP and FSD?

In an effort to reduce cost, there just as easily could be hardware removed..... but added when you ante up.

I don't know the costs of the AP hardware, but another thing that is probably churning in elons head is his autonomous ride sharing idea to take on Uber and Lyft using customer fleet. If he's serious and it isn't too far into the future, keeping AP hardware on makes sense for the standard.

HOPEFULLY ..... Tesla will get a handle on quality control. Reportedly new patented techniques are improving fit and finish.

Hopefully, paint issues will have been resolved.

Hopefully, your first trip will not be to the SC to correct flaws.

Personally, I am waiting to see if the above plays out. If not, there are several exciting EV's coming on the market, and they all have the $7500 rebate.

HOPEFULLY ..... Tesla will get a handle on quality control. Reportedly new patented techniques are improving fit and finish.

Hopefully, paint issues will have been resolved.

Hopefully, your first trip will not be to the SC to correct flaws.

Personally, I am waiting to see if the above plays out. If not, there are several exciting EV's coming on the market, and they all have the $7500 rebate.
This is a great point. Although EAP is what I’m truly looking forward to. Which EVs with similar range should I be looking for?

In an effort to reduce cost, there just as easily could be hardware removed..... but added when you ante up.

While that's technically possible, especially considering Elon's drive to have Tesla make a profit every quarter, it's extremely unlikely. He's made a profit on the 3 while including AP on every car. Removing it to save costs just doesn't jive with what Tesla has been doing and what their stated goals are. You can always try and save costs elsewhere. I'd say the chances of them removing AP hardware to save money at about 0.5%. They'd pull other options and or just charge more before they'd pull AP hardware in order to save costs.

This is a great point. Although EAP is what I’m truly looking forward to. Which EVs with similar range should I be looking for?

There's not much out there.

For the battery size, the i-Pace and Audi SUV are woefully short of what Tesla can do. There's no reason to think the upcoming Mercedes and BMW EVs will be any better.

I'd say for the next 8-10 years, Tesla is going to be the CLEAR leader.

However, if your bar is just 200 miles, then the Asian manufacturers would have compelling options.

Still, you said EAP is what you're looking forward to. I think Cadillac has the best alternative? But they don't have an EV anymore. GM... well, you've seen the news. I know BMW's is... lacking. I'd put most of my faith into what the Leaf can come up with in a couple of years, but I think they're running out of credits shortly as well.

Reactions: Badshirt
The general consensus is that FSD hardware was removed as an option because Elon didn't want to install soon to be obsolete computers that would have to be swapped out in 6 months at Tesla's expense. FSD will come back as an option once he has enough inventory on hand. FSD won't be "free" but yes, the hardware will be better.

With Tesla doing so much R&D I am sure their cars will be even better 6 months from now. Also believe they will also be much better 6 months from then. Continous improvements coming out of their factories.

Downside is that you will totally miss out on 6 months of driving pleasure and adventure.

The general consensus is that FSD hardware was removed as an option because Elon didn't want to install soon to be obsolete computers that would have to be swapped out in 6 months at Tesla's expense. FSD will come back as an option once he has enough inventory on hand. FSD won't be "free" but yes, the hardware will be better.

FSD hardware was never an option.

It came with every car build in the last 2+ years, and still does.

The removed option was to enable FSD in software. (which also gets you free HW upgrades if needed for FSD to work). This option is still available off-menu if you ask for it, and will likely be back once HW3 is in new production cars (under 6 months now per previous schedule)