Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a chart explaining how fast I should be charging at a Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Racerx22b

@unplggdd on Instagram
Nov 17, 2014
West Palm Beach, FL
(I posted in the X forum as well but there seems to be more charging talk here)

I don't think I am getting the fastest rate of charge on my MX P100D and wondered if someone has done some extensive documentation of this. See attached. I feel like I could be getting higher kW with almost 100 miles of charging range left to go. I was the only car present so there was no sharing. This was at the FL Turnpike Yeehaw Junction Charger.

I'd like to know what kW I should expect when plugging in at a given amount of range left until back up to 90% before I raise the issue to service to look into.

I tried a search of the forum but I am not seeing what I am looking for. If anyone has a link or something else as reference I'd appreciate it.

Jason

IMG_5357.PNG

Typically you should expect full charge rate up to around 50% of battery capacity, then starting to slow down as you approach 100%

If you are plugging into one of the paired outlets that already has someone plugged in, then you will start slower and increase as the other car gets closer to 100% and slows down. When they unplug then you become top priority and will get the full charge rate of 120kw if you are below 50%.

• Informative
Reactions: Racerx22b
That charge rate looks totally right on to me. Early on, with the Model S 85kwh battery size, people found a very consistent and accurate rule of thumb for the tapering of charge as the battery filled up. If you add together the % state of charge and the kW charging rate, they would equal about 120, plus or minus maybe 5-7ish. The number was I think a little bit lower than 120 for the 70/75 kwh battery sizes, and I haven't seen the rule tuned in for Model X versions and the 100kwh battery size, but your numbers seem about right. You are at 67% full, plus 46kW is 112. That is close enough that it doesn't look unusual. Really, you're two thirds full. It should be pretty noticeably tapered down by that point.

Yesterday we stopped to charge at Seabrook, NH, on the way home from a few days in Maine. We arrived with about 9% of the battery left so we really needed a charge to get home. We were the 4th car here, and all were spaced such that no cars were paired to a charging unit.
Even though the SOC was so low, the charging rate never showed more than 43 KW, which surprised me. I periodically checked the charging from my phone app while we ate lunch in the adjacent Panera Bread. Although I debated whether or not to call Tesla about the low rate, I decided not to, as the car ended up with plenty of charge to get home by the time we finished lunch. (We only had about 65 miles to go so 30% or more would have done it.)
I have charged here before without noticing any problems, but then again I have not closely monitored the charging rates. I have become more sensitized to the rate by all the recent posts about low charging rates, especially in the summer.
Temperatures were in the high 70s, maybe 80F, so I doubt that either my car or the charging unit should have been at an excessively high temperature.
Still, it bothered me and I wonder if I should have called....

I have been college shopping with my daughter up and down the east coast. I have noticed that, after driving a while, the charge rate starts at the 115kw range and then quickly drops to the 50kw range when still under the half mark. It will then fluctuate between 50kw and 75kw until the taper catches up. I think it is a heat issue.

If I supercharge first thing in the morning, this does not happen.

• Informative
Reactions: David29