Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a difference between "Corded Mobile Connector" and "Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... other than one has a NEMA 5-15 adapter and the other a NEMA 14-50 adapter?

I would imagine there is, considering they are $245 difference in price.

I have a Model 3 LR RWD, using the NEMA 14-50 charger that came with the car, but looking at buying another to have as a spare, keep one in the vehicle.

Could I just buy another Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 connector (for $35), connec that to a "Gen 2 Mobile Connector", and have the same thing I have now (32A charging)?

Corded mobile connector has a permanently attached NEMA 14-50 that can't be removed. The Gen 2 UMC has a removable pigtail so you can switch between different NEMA connectors.

Gen 2 Mobile Connector is the same thing that came with your car. Honestly, the Gen 2 UMC looks like it's on sale for some reason... no idea why it's so cheap. I thought the usual price was $450 for that thing.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
... other than one has a NEMA 5-15 adapter and the other a NEMA 14-50 adapter?

I would imagine there is, considering they are $245 difference in price.
Yes, there is a difference in how many amps they will pass through, so the charging speed is different. For the first several years, the Generation 1 Universal Mobile Connector could provide 40 amps charging current. This Corded Mobile Connector is directly based on that Gen1 UMC, but with the permanent plug. That is why it is so much more expensive. When they were coming out with the Model 3 in 2018-ish, Tesla changed over to the 2nd generation UMC, which can only provide 32 amps maximum, which is why it's cheaper.

the Gen 2 UMC looks like it's on sale for some reason... no idea why it's so cheap. I thought the usual price was $450 for that thing.
No, the Gen1 UMC or Corded Mobile Connector can do 40A and have thicker cabling, which is why they are more expensive. The Gen2 UMC has always been about $275.

Is there a difference...

Good feedback from others on this Thread. The Corded Mobile Connector (CMC) is particularly good if:
  • The homeowner wants to charge at home using a 240-volt circuit (for faster charging).
  • The owner chooses to use the popular 50-amp NEMA 14-50 receptacle.
  • And the owner wants to invest in a convenient dedicated charging cable solely for home use.

In this case normally the Gen 2 Mobile Connector (UMC) that came with the car (plus optional adapter plug) would remain in the car full-time (for on-the-road charging) and the CMC would stay plugged in (to reduce wear-and-tear at the outlet) at home.
Note: Tesla Wall Connectors are another good option, but they, also, are expensive and installing a NEMA 14-50 receptacle and 240-volt, 50-amp circuit can be somewhat easier/cheaper than installing a Wall Connector plus circuit. (Depends on the circumstances.)

Unfortunately the CMC is significantly more expensive, so why not get a second UMC?
  • The CMC is all one-piece with a heavier cable. (So arguably more rugged and longer lasting?)
  • The CMC comes standard with the most popular (NEMA 14-50) 240-volt plug end.
  • It allows most Tesla cars to charge at up to a 40-amp rate, so it is faster than the UMC with its standard NEMA 5-15 adapter or even the optional 14-50 adapter plug.

Last edited: