Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a DIY fix for water in the B Pillar Cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Living in the mild wet of BC my B Pillar cameras are constantly blocked or blinded because of the condensation or water behind the glass. My car disables auto pilot functionality on a regular basis. I booked a service the guy came just said it’s normal and left. I can’t find any way to escalate or actually speak to anyone at Tesla. I tried to make another appointment but they just silently canceled it. My drivers side is the worst and there seems to be like some built up residue. The passenger side fogs up but a few days in the garage it will clear.
Has anyone taken this apart is it possible to get at the back of the glass?

C1B93950-8721-40CF-A62B-93C9A06CF0C5.jpeg
490DEA86-E8FE-46E6-B86E-D9293CA29784.jpeg

I've seen this on a number of the Tesla's that come into the shop from the cold and I don't know if you really can stop it. This also happens to my car and truck but in front of the rear view mirror where the sensor is and I've yet to find anything to stop it. You'd think they would have some air sent to these cameras and sensors to prevent the condensation. If you find something that works I'd assume we'd all love to know about it.

Maybe try a blow dryer on the outside to see if you can drive off the moisture. The interior trim around the seatbelt hole just pops off if you want to try looking at the backside.

That makes no sense. The camera pillar assembly is not accessible from the inside. The camera is mounted with a couple of 10mm bolts from the outside and the entire assembly pops out, it slides up or down then out, I forget which and clicks in.

There is a rubber “valve” or 1 way gasket for moisture to escape, it could be clogged...I say that but my new M3 has a bit of condensation (not as bad as the pic) I pulled mine and the gasket is fine. Hopefully summer will dry it out.

I experience this frequently during “winter” months on Vancouver island. I reported it once to Tesla and got a similar, unsatisfactory response along the lines of, “Oh, that’s just the way it is.”

I paid for FSD capability. I don’t know how Tesla will be able to deliver reliable FSD if the cameras repeatedly stop functioning for several moths of each year.

I removed the glass last night it comes of easily. A small panel unsnaps revealing two bolts remove them and it comes right off. The only access to the glass is through the hole when you remove the camera. I found Tesla service bulletin SB-20-12-002, not sure how to upload a PDF but I'll attach pictures. I didn't remove the patch yet. I did get in there with a Qtip and got most of the dirt out. I wouldn't recommend a Qtip or not a regular one. I ended up getting some fluff in there and took a while with a pair of tiny little tweezers to get it out. In the end I used a micro fibre cloth for glasses wrapped around the tweezers to clean the glass. I couldn't reach the very outside edge but it's much better than it was. I'm going to try it for a few days and see how it does. If it still fogs up I might put a tiny amount of antifogging agent on the inside of the glass. I did put a little on the outside of the glass were it's easy to clean off just in case it interferes, I can't imagine it would but just wanted to be safe.

1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG

I removed the glass last night it comes of easily. A small panel unsnaps revealing two bolts remove them and it comes right off. The only access to the glass is through the hole when you remove the camera. I found Tesla service bulletin SB-20-12-002, not sure how to upload a PDF but I'll attach pictures. I didn't remove the patch yet. I did get in there with a Qtip and got most of the dirt out. I wouldn't recommend a Qtip or not a regular one. I ended up getting some fluff in there and took a while with a pair of tiny little tweezers to get it out. In the end I used a micro fibre cloth for glasses wrapped around the tweezers to clean the glass. I couldn't reach the very outside edge but it's much better than it was. I'm going to try it for a few days and see how it does. If it still fogs up I might put a tiny amount of antifogging agent on the inside of the glass. I did put a little on the outside of the glass were it's easy to clean off just in case it interferes, I can't imagine it would but just wanted to be safe.

View attachment 630858
View attachment 630859
View attachment 630860
View attachment 630861
Any idea where I can get these instructions for removing front and rear bumpers on all the Teslas?

Same issue on my July 2019 Model 3 (so no gore patch to remove here). It mostly happens when it's very cold outside and the cars warms up fast. Will disappear after a while, but if sun if facing directly into the camera, it will 100% throw an error. Would be interested for a fix too if it's an easy one.

Same issue on my July 2019 Model 3 (so no gore patch to remove here). It mostly happens when it's very cold outside and the cars warms up fast. Will disappear after a while, but if sun if facing directly into the camera, it will 100% throw an error. Would be interested for a fix too if it's an easy one.

Do the later models not have the little gore patch? I tried to contact Tesla and sent them the bulletin to see if it’s a valid fix or maybe it’s out of date? Just trying to understand why they sent mobile but then the guy took one look and left. They won’t respond to my emails and I can’t get them on the phone. They did create a new service appointment to check my tire pressure. No idea if that is related or just a mistake. I also have the bug that the app always tells me I have unread messages from service center but no messages exists. It’s been like that for weeks though since before they sent mobile. I mentioned it to the mobile guy and he just gave me the standard it’s a known issue that will be fixed in a future firmware.

I really don’t want to miss a days work and take the car in when I have no idea if the service appointment is even real or if they will do anything?

Do the later models not have the little gore patch? I tried to contact Tesla and sent them the bulletin to see if it’s a valid fix or maybe it’s out of date? Just trying to understand why they sent mobile but then the guy took one look and left. They won’t respond to my emails and I can’t get them on the phone. They did create a new service appointment to check my tire pressure. No idea if that is related or just a mistake. I also have the bug that the app always tells me I have unread messages from service center but no messages exists. It’s been like that for weeks though since before they sent mobile. I mentioned it to the mobile guy and he just gave me the standard it’s a known issue that will be fixed in a future firmware.
Note I had this same issue where there are service messages I can't view (although for a different issue, it was for other things found at delivery, not about condensation). It happened when they cancelled my mobile service. Go on chat support (contact us on bottom of support page and select options until you reach a chat agent) and ask them to retrieve the message for you.
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

In my case, the message was for me to call a local number for mobile service department to schedule an appointment at a local service center. After I did that, it was able to show the new appointment, but the original message was still not visible.

Don't go assuming that your service appointment is still valid, it may have been cancelled (if you can't see it in the app anymore).

Also I presume when you requested service, you sent pictures of the condensation and also AP being disabled? Not sure why they would send a mobile guy that would just leave. They are supposed to review the request and write what they plan to do (and what costs if any).

Note I had this same issue where there are service messages I can't view (although for a different issue, it was for other things found at delivery, not about condensation). It happened when they cancelled my mobile service. Go on chat support (contact us on bottom of support page and select options until you reach a chat agent) and ask them to retrieve the message for you.
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

In my case, the message was for me to call a local number for mobile service department to schedule an appointment at a local service center. After I did that, it was able to show the new appointment, but the original message was still not visible.

Don't go assuming that your service appointment is still valid, it may have been cancelled (if you can't see it in the app anymore).

Also I presume when you requested service, you sent pictures of the condensation and also AP being disabled? Not sure why they would send a mobile guy that would just leave. They are supposed to review the request and write what they plan to do (and what costs if any).

Yeah the first picture in my first post is the one I sent to make the appointment. The second picture is the day mobile came and the car had been in the garage for a few days. This is my passenger side it’s more just fog that comes and goes I sent it to them as well when I made the appointment.

At this point I’m just going to give up on Vancouver service. It’s just such a hassle and the mobile guy made it very clear they had no intention of doing anything. He took one look and said its normal argued with me for a minute and left. It does suck though because I just noticed my drivers headlight accent is out and it would be nice to get it fixed. The nightmare of trying to communicate with them it’s just not worth it. I just tried the chat but it's already closed for the day.

Attachments

• 6087E50C-B1DD-494B-A4C4-AD456012F024.jpeg
    6087E50C-B1DD-494B-A4C4-AD456012F024.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:
There’s a well-known service bulletin for this, Tesla remedied this via mobile tech in 10 minutes on both of my B pillars under warranty; it involves removing a foamy gasket in that camera housing to allow better air circulation thus minimizing potential for condensation.
Tesla will take care of it.