Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a event to show Model Y to potential buyers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm new and just made an account a little while ago. Please let me know if I'm asking in the wrong forum and kindly point me to the correct one.

Is there an event TMC put or individuals willing to give my dad a chance to experience the Model Y? I'm trying to convince him to get the Model Y, and my brother is trying to convince him to get the Acura RDX. I got him to put down pre-order on a Y, but my brother is trying to convince him that, since he's old, he won't know how to drive this new EV thing, and should stick with what he knows. He's around 80. I said that, once set up, it shouldn't be hard, and I'll help set it up, but my brother is not convinced, and my dad don't really know what to do.

He is in Milpitas, Ca, it's a small city right next to San Jose, Ca. I would need to be there as well as he doesn't understand English all that will, and I would like to experience the Model Y as well, so just the 2 of us.

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

I'm new and just made an account a little while ago. Please let me know if I'm asking in the wrong forum and kindly point me to the correct one.

Is there an event TMC put or individuals willing to give my dad a chance to experience the Model Y? I'm trying to convince him to get the Model Y, and my brother is trying to convince him to get the Acura RDX. I got him to put down pre-order on a Y, but my brother is trying to convince him that, since he's old, he won't know how to drive this new EV thing, and should stick with what he knows. He's around 80. I said that, once set up, it shouldn't be hard, and I'll help set it up, but my brother is not convinced, and my dad don't really know what to do.

He is in Milpitas, Ca, it's a small city right next to San Jose, Ca. I would need to be there as well as he doesn't understand English all that will, and I would like to experience the Model Y as well, so just the 2 of us.

Thanks for the help.
Sure would be great if, you know, the manufacturer were able to do this to attract new owners.

Best of luck with your search OP. You may also want to consider renting one on Turo for an extended trial.

Upvote 0
Hate to side with your brother and Not just because of age but I would not advise someone in their 80’s to jump into a computer based car personally. Unless he’s currentry into tech gadgets this might not be a smart direction. Just learrning how to turn on a radio or the windshield wipers might be a distraction. I would stick with general transportation and not a new learning adventur. JMO

Upvote 0
If I wasn't on the opposite coast I'd be happy to help..... I'm sure you can get a test drive from a local store. I'm also sure there's a large Tesla owner's club in that area that could help out. Here is a start - Silicon Valley (CA Bay Area) Tesla Club
Thanks, maybe it's because I'm new, but I have an error trying to ask to join that group. I'll follow instruction given by the error and see from there.

Upvote 0
Hate to side with your brother and Not just because of age but I would not advise someone in their 80’s to jump into a computer based car personally. Unless he’s currentry into tech gadgets this might not be a smart direction. Just learrning how to turn on a radio or the windshield wipers might be a distraction. I would stick with general transportation and not a new learning adventur. JMO

Yeah... about that...

Upvote 0
Probably turning off the radio is harder than turning it on on the Teslas. 😋 (Can you really turn the radio off than muting it?)

I don't want to pick a side, but I'd say, OP, follow your brother's gut. It would be his car so he would need to be most comfortable with it. If he still wants a clean car, maybe one with "traditional" driver interface (like RAV4 Prime) is more suitable for him.

Reactions: Need and Yelobird
Upvote 0
He's able to do basic stuff on the computer that I thought him, as well as on his cell phone, and tablet. I believe he has the ability to learn to drive EV. He won't really need the music or other stuff, and I would set up everything when he first get it, if he gets it, so all he has to do is drive, and know how to turn on wipers if he needs the extra wipe.

Upvote 0
Probably turning off the radio is harder than turning it on on the Teslas. 😋 (Can you really turn the radio off than muting it?)

I don't want to pick a side, but I'd say, OP, follow your brother's gut. It would be his car so he would need to be most comfortable with it. If he still wants a clean car, maybe one with "traditional" driver interface (like RAV4 Prime) is more suitable for him.
haha, never a RAV4, as we are a Honda family for the longest of time. I'm trying to break that up by going to a clean energy vehicle. An old Honda we have leaks oil and it makes the garage stink, any most likely bad for my parents health, so that's another reason I want to help my family transition to renewables.

Upvote 0
He's able to do basic stuff on the computer that I thought him, as well as on his cell phone, and tablet. I believe he has the ability to learn to drive EV. He won't really need the music or other stuff, and I would set up everything when he first get it, if he gets it, so all he has to do is drive, and know how to turn on wipers if he needs the extra wipe.
Was actually considering someone who has driven close to 60 plus years learning to use cameras for backing up and one peddle driving. A new Honda Civic is about as safe, reliablue, and efficient as anyone needs that will likely only drive a few hundred miles per year but that’s me. As long as it’s His decision and not two brothers trying to push for a cool ride.

Upvote 0
Was actually considering someone who has driven close to 60 plus years learning to use cameras for backing up and one peddle driving. A new Honda Civic is about as safe, reliablue, and efficient as anyone needs that will likely only drive a few hundred miles per year but that’s me. As long as it’s His decision and not two brothers trying to push for a cool ride.
One peddle driving is probably the biggest barrier. The complexity here is: when you need to slow down, you have more choices to make the decision - should you lift up accelerator a bit, remove your foot from it, or step on brake? And where is your foot right now? Should your foot go down or up now? I wouldn't want to deal with all these questions in an emergency if I had driven a conventional car for 60 years.

Upvote 0
Unless the guy is a tech guy the past couple decades, I would for sure take him to a Tesla store and let him see if he can do it without you. Don’t sit there and coach him and say, see you did it, good to go. If he can’t do it alone intuitively, don’t go there. You won’t be with him the first time it rains 3 months later and he’s cursing in the super market parking lot trying to understand why his wipers aren’t working and the car won’t go forward. It will be the same experience for him then as if you never were there at the dealer. Do this with the Acura too! I watched a nephew attempt to coach an elderly neighbor how to use his new maxima infotainment. Yeah… any modern car has this problem to some degree.

Relative to anyone on this forum, you and your brother know the guy best. If your brother is saying no no, ask yourself who’s getting the frustrated support call from the super market while at work? If it’s not you… you best listen to your brother. If it is you, why is your brother saying this, what experiences has he had that says he may not be the flexible thinker you once knew? Risk/return is very asymmetric on this choice for the Acura. Can’t make a terrible decision there, whereas Tesla could be the most frustrating thing he ever owned.

There is also a safety angle. My grandfather got the wrong pedal pulling into the garage. Drove through the bedroom. Pressing the brake just made the car go faster! Whoops wrong pedal has much more serious consequences in a 600HP car doing 0-60 in 4 seconds than it does in a Cadillac fleetwood. Had he been in a Tesla, they may have been fishing him and the car out of the lake on the other side of the house instead of just the bedroom. Food for thought. I’m nowhere near you or I’d let you check mine out and settle the tie for a beer. Good luck, and don’t get old yourself!

Reactions: Yelobird
Upvote 0
Only your family knows your dad. If he’s sharp and quick of mind, he might enjoy it. Personally, I find it actually takes more attention and skill to drive a Tesla rather than less. Phantom braking, pedal misapplication, spontaneous cruise control engagement (not truly spontaneous but it’s surprised me more than once), unintentional autopilot lane changes due to lack of dividing lines, etc. That’s just starting the “quirks“ and not even getting into the normal “how to use this newfangled technology” portion. This thread is worth a read:

Upvote 0
One peddle driving is probably the biggest barrier. The complexity here is: when you need to slow down, you have more choices to make the decision - should you lift up accelerator a bit, remove your foot from it, or step on brake? And where is your foot right now? Should your foot go down or up now? I wouldn't want to deal with all these questions in an emergency if I had driven a conventional car for 60 years.
I've been driving for 48 years. Yeah, that's not 60, but no big deal for me.

Upvote 0
I've been driving for over 53 years, and I took to 'one peddle driving' like a duck to water. My only quirk with the car is when I re-engage the auto pilot. IE: have to make sure I'm centered in the lane before I engage it.

Upvote 0
you're open minded and I hope your dad too. Gas/diesel vehicles are rip off. Your dad would love it-just test drive one.

Upvote 0
Feel like the youngster here. Jeez. Only in my 70s. But I didn't find it hard to get used to. I have experimented with some of the 'normal' settings like softer regen, creep rather than hold, etc. but other than playing with the settings have driven the MY for almost a year now with high regen, sport steer, whatever the non-chill acceleration is (with boost).

No problem.

I used the brake pedal on the way home from picking it up a couple times. And probably 4 or 5 times a week if I come up to a light suddenly changing.

There are a few things that annoy me but none of them relative to what makes the MY different. But every time I've switched manufacturers, some things annoy me. Like the stupid key vs remote locking in the previous subaru.

Oh, I haven't lost touch with ICE. Other than I occasionally forget to turn off my wife's Camry Hybrid (no noise as it's sitting there on via the battery), I switch back to using the brake and accelerator without issue. Actually the Camry more annoying in that you need to use the brake lightly to get best regen as opposed to modulating the accelerator.

Upvote 0