Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a fix for the TACC/Autopilot surging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car last week and was really looking forward to TACC and trying Autopilot. My issue is when there is an actual car in front, the car is very jerky. I can see the car on and off the throttle to try and maintain distance (I assume within a razor thin window?) or the delay in which it is sensing distance is far too great. Personally, I maintain an equal distance without the on/off throttle feel which is a terrible way to drive and not conducive to smooth operating.

Has anyone found a way to minimize this issue?

That seems unusual to me. I have been driving Tesla's with Autopilot and TACC since 2016, and have driven close to 100,000 miles on Autopilot by now. I would say 95% of the time TACC is very smooth. Hard to say without knowing the situation(s) you were in, but keep in mind the car is using radar to track the car in front of the car in front of you as well and if traffic is stopping suddenly or slowing and speeding up that could have an impact on it. Remember it's designed for highway use, and try it out a bit more to get a feel for it. I use it pretty much every day.

That seems unusual to me. I have been driving Tesla's with Autopilot and TACC since 2016, and have driven close to 100,000 miles on Autopilot by now. I would say 95% of the time TACC is very smooth. Hard to say without knowing the situation(s) you were in, but keep in mind the car is using radar to track the car in front of the car in front of you as well and if traffic is stopping suddenly or slowing and speeding up that could have an impact on it. Remember it's designed for highway use, and try it out a bit more to get a feel for it. I use it pretty much every day.
It's definitely an issue for some users. Here are some posts I found about it, unfortunately.

Seriously Tesla, TACC sucks now
TACC (aka adaptive cruise cntrl) is herky-jerky (not smooth) - Tesla Owners Online
TACC Behaving Very Poorly a/o Latest Update (2019.40.2.1) | Tesla

I have never had this problem and I use TACC 20 miles each way on my daily commute. All hiway.

Is it possibly related to following distance? I generally have mine set to 3-5 and only drop it down to 1-2 when traffic is very stopping / crawling.

I've noticed some occasional jerky stop/go when using TACC. It's less than 5% of the time, however, and my drive is 3+ hours a day so I use it heavily. It usually goes away if I change lanes. It's as if the radar was having trouble for some reason with the specific car in front of me. Does yours do it all the time?

That being said, in stop and go traffic, I can definitely drive it more smoothly than the autopilot does. The computer tries to maintain a set distance, which means it won't use the distance buffer between you and the car in front to smooth things out as well as a human driver (for now). Its not bad, though.

I usually keep mine set to 6 or 7, but then I'm that strange person who tries to follow the "four-second" rule (and since each unit of follow seems to correlate to something around a half-second of follow distance, I kind of wish I could set it to 8). I am not in that much of a hurry that people moving into the space ahead of me puts me out. I find that generally speaking they will cut back out from in front of me not long after, and I end up passing them. Slow-and-steady wins the race and all.

Reactions: house9