Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a heating element inside updated (2021) steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone reported in twitter heated steering wheel is in the Standard Range Model Y!!!!

https://twitter.com/klwtts/status/1348801310242455552
This is so legit! In.gif. This will make a big difference for my wife and me; the only thing I'm holding out on now is HEPA and headlights; we had some really bad air quality in Oregon last summer and for the past several summers if memory serves. Lights and HEPA will just make a solid safe car even better. I punted my reservation once, hope to be able to take delivery soon! :)))

Am I missing something on the steering wheel heater? Seems like one of those subtle luxuries that gets jammed into cars with higher margins and that is practically superfluous for a Tesla.

I used to think a heated steering wheel was for wimps. That was before my previous car, which had one. Now I am a fan and mourn that my new Model Y does not have one. There's nothing inherently wrong with subtle luxuries!

November 2020 Y here. Kill me.

It sucks, but the updates won't stop coming. Best thing to do is remember the car you bought is still the car you bought (except for the horrible UI update :p). I'd recommend putting the retrofit money into $TSLA if anything. Don't be like the guys updating their taillights only to find it doesn't work properly :rolleyes:

With heated seats, a heated steering wheel and dressing warmly it is possible to drive in cold weather (my personal threshold was ~40 degrees) with limited use of the HVAC. Preconditioning before driving is best, you may need to periodically run the windshield defogger.
Lol. Is saving 300 watts per hour of energy worth freezing your balls off?:cool: Preconditioning uses close to 7kWh when the battery is warming. Maybe shave 10 min off preconditioning and turn your heat up! My personal record is 67 degrees

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Lol. Is saving 300 watts per hour of energy worth freezing your balls off?:cool: Preconditioning uses close to 7kWh when the battery is warming. Maybe shave 10 min off preconditioning and turn your heat up! My personal record is 67 degrees
Times were different. This was when I drove a 2017 Volt. The Volt only had a 14kWh battery so you learned to precondition, use the seat and steering wheel heaters to maximize the Volt's EV range. Of course with the Volt you could always use gas but that was admitting defeat. The Long Range Model Y's battery capacity is over 5X that of the Gen2 Volt so for most driving using the HVAC is a given. Still, on cold mornings the heated steering wheel was something I learned to appreciate.

Reactions: Barrygold
Steering wheel photo discrepancies:

On the Tesla Model Y landing page, the steering wheel with folds at 10 and 2 o-clock are shown. When you proceed to the order page and get to the interior section, the picture shows the seamless steering wheel. I don't think I noticed this before. Perhaps it means that the steering wheel has been updated for future models?

My anticipated delivery showers January 24 to February 14. Can't wait!

Steering wheel photo discrepancies:

On the Tesla Model Y landing page, the steering wheel with folds at 10 and 2 o-clock are shown. When you proceed to the order page and get to the interior section, the picture shows the seamless steering wheel. I don't think I noticed this before. Perhaps it means that the steering wheel has been updated for future models?

My anticipated delivery showers January 24 to February 14. Can't wait!

You coulda bought mine LOL

86F6A81A-232B-4106-939A-A63FD39E65EF.jpeg

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
LOL! I think I saw your car on PDX Craigslist and was wondering why you were selling; you actually have all of the options I wanted except for the 20" wheels; I wanted 19". I also wanted the $2.5k EV credit from Oregon and and still holding out hope for maybe HEPA and updated headlights :p

I don't qualify for that rebate and I never keep cars for two years so fail on my end.

Tesla told me the headlights and HEPA are months out so if you can push your date out I would if you really want that stuff!