Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a heating element inside updated (2021) steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't qualify for that rebate and I never keep cars for two years so fail on my end.

Tesla told me the headlights and HEPA are months out so if you can push your date out I would if you really want that stuff!

Ooo that’s good to know. Dang. Do you find that you have any issues with the headlights on the Mode Y as compared with your other vehicles?

Lol. Is saving 300 watts per hour of energy worth freezing your balls off?:cool: Preconditioning uses close to 7kWh when the battery is warming. Maybe shave 10 min off preconditioning and turn your heat up! My personal record is 67 degrees

this is a luxury perk that is not necessary, but you would really appreciate it for that 5min you use it when you need to jump in a non precondition model Y that was park outside in the cold for hours.
for people we don’t live in the extreme cold, you will never get it.

this is a luxury perk that is not necessary, but you would really appreciate it for that 5min you use it when you need to jump in a non precondition model Y that was park outside in the cold for hours.
for people we don’t live in the extreme cold, you will never get it.

Yeah, never needed my heated steering wheel in Miami... But it is sure nice in Alaska. Especially since I park outside... But I'll live....

Ooo that’s good to know. Dang. Do you find that you have any issues with the headlights on the Mode Y as compared with your other vehicles?

Its not that the old headlights are bad or have any issues, its that the new headlights are likely matrix LED headlamps which will have some really cool features when the US government changes regulations to allow them to do all the cool things Europe and other markets have had for years.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I just looked in the Tesla parts catalog, which defaults to US for me, and it still only lists a non-heated steering wheel. Can someone look at the parts catalog from a China perspective and see if it lists the new wheel? From the diagram, it looks like the wheel and control module in the column will need to be replaced, which I expect will be close to $1K. Plus additional wiring back, assuming it can be retrofitted. Then the issue comes with reprogramming, which may not be offered by Tesla. If the whole job is possible, but comes in around $1500, although I agree this should have been there at day 1, aftermarket will make much more sense to me.

My expectation at this point, if I want laminated glass, heated wheel, self-dimming side mirrors, updated center console, USB in glovebox, updated rear taillights and headlights, and an updated battery, it will make more sense to wait until later this calendar year and trade in. With only 5K on my MY, and most likely under 10K by the end of this year, I don't expect to take too much of a hit, especially if I sell outright, and will be happy if I simply break even on what I owe at that point. It was a risk we all took by being early adopters, and I don't regret the choice - I've loved my MY, and so has my family, and just like owning an iPhone, if you want the latest camera, processor, battery, you need to get new hardware...even if you just paid $1,200 for a new phone the year before.

Reactions: frankvb
Got my Y in September and don't miss it...yet! :)

I live in Boston and all my prior cars (dating back to 2000) had heated steering wheels and I loved it. When purchasing, I was a bit disappointed the Y didn't come with it but figured everything I read about preconditioning should solve or minimize the cold wheel...and, it's been true, so far.

Some caveats on my experience: I do park it in my garage so it's not sitting overnight getting cold soaked like my prior cars (my g/f was okay with me booting her car out of the garage so I can charge the Y ;)). 1-2 times, I did leave it parked overnight in ~32-38F temps and after a 20-30 min precondition, the steering wheel was fine.

Of course, all of us have our own preferences and sensitivities to the cold but wanted to share my experience in case it helps others.

Reactions: Raechris
Yes here is a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_2643.jpg
    IMG_2643.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: laughMan