Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a heating element inside updated (2021) steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None of these features would have stop me from buying a car 6 months ago if I needed to buy a car 6 months ago. If you don't need to upgrade now then you should wait (not just for Tesla but for competition to spur on more improvements and price cuts).

These are features that I would consider trading/upgrading my car for:
  • More sensors/cameras (proper lane change assist, cross traffic warning, etc)
  • Some type of retractable screen for the glass roof
  • New handle design (Model S handles would be nice)
  • Better hood! (the tin can of a hood right now makes me feel like it's gonna get dented each time I close it). even better, something that's somewhat powered (let it down and it'll close/latch on its own)
  • Higher res screen (my god, this would be amazing)
  • Actual physical buttons for things like HVAC!
  • Better organization in the trunk (things like hooks, partitions, shelves, etc)
  • Better paint (my god the paint pretty bad, lots of chips and scratches already)
  • Better NVH (this is what makes a difference for cabin acoustics, not laminated glass)
  • Dedicated driver display
  • Performance trim actually has better seats (bolstering for instance)
  • Better rear view (you can barely see anything through the rear window)
  • Improved 12v battery system? (nervous that currently it can still die with little to no warning)
  • A proper sensor for automatic wiper blades
  • Sentry mode that is 100% reliable

I'd pay upwards of an additional 10k for all these features. Things like tail lights, boombox, new center console, laminated window, etc are awesome since they are simply improving the product without changing the price (if anything they've lowered the price on the Y). I feel comfortable saying most people here are aware that Tesla continuously improves the vehicle behind the scenes (since lots continue to wonder if they got the heated steering wheel and it just needs 'activation') so this feeling of FOMO was inevitable.

Reactions: xyskis
As I mentioned, the MY was delivered today and I haven't taken possession of it yet. I'm still considering so it's not as though it's sitting on my driveway and I can go out and snap a picture. As I'm not currently at the Tesla showroom I can't go inside the vehicle and show you.

But I had a discussion with the Tesla sales advisor who confirmed after entering the vehicle that it has the heated steering wheel. The Tesla sales advisor also confirmed that all of the new production Y's will have the heated steering wheel.

The evidence is I said so, and so did others including someone on Reddit who posted a picture of the screen with the heated steering wheel button.

As I mentioned, the MY was delivered today and I haven't taken possession of it yet. I'm still considering so it's not as though it's sitting on my driveway and I can go out and snap a picture. As I'm not currently at the Tesla showroom I can't go inside the vehicle and show you.

But I had a discussion with the Tesla sales advisor who confirmed after entering the vehicle that it has the heated steering wheel. The Tesla sales advisor also confirmed that all of the new production Y's will have the heated steering wheel.

The evidence is I said so, and so did others including someone on Reddit who posted a picture of the screen with the heated steering wheel button.

So is there a version of the Tesla parts catalog for Canada? If so, maybe it has been updated to show the differences?

I'm grateful that you're willing to share your experience while making a pretty consequential decision. Many folks only buy a few cars during our lifetime (and let's be honest, most folks in the world don't own cars) and your info re: heated steering wheel has at the very least prompted me to proceed to delivery/inspection and to consider inspection, even if Reddit/etc. hasn't exploded with "the new set of features are here!" post.

Below are screen captures from the "Upper Column and Steering Wheel" section of the Tesla parts catalog for the US and China. I did check Canada's catalog and it shows no difference from the US at this time. The difference I see between the US and China parts catalogs are the steering wheel itself (China's is noted as heated) along with roller switches, which we already know are aluminum. Unless there are more updates coming in the catalog for China, we may have lucked out as the steering column control module is the same, which could mean the wiring is the same? FWIW, if I use the voice command and say, "turn on heated steering wheel", it is recognized by the software, but says the feature isn't enabled.

US:

upload_2021-1-13_22-48-44.png

China:
upload_2021-1-13_22-47-39.png
upload_2021-1-13_22-47-53.png

None of these features would have stop me from buying a car 6 months ago if I needed to buy a car 6 months ago. If you don't need to upgrade now then you should wait (not just for Tesla but for competition to spur on more improvements and price cuts).

These are features that I would consider trading/upgrading my car for:
  • More sensors/cameras (proper lane change assist, cross traffic warning, etc)
  • Some type of retractable screen for the glass roof
  • New handle design (Model S handles would be nice)
  • Better hood! (the tin can of a hood right now makes me feel like it's gonna get dented each time I close it). even better, something that's somewhat powered (let it down and it'll close/latch on its own)
  • Higher res screen (my god, this would be amazing)
  • Actual physical buttons for things like HVAC!
  • Better organization in the trunk (things like hooks, partitions, shelves, etc)
  • Better paint (my god the paint pretty bad, lots of chips and scratches already)
  • Better NVH (this is what makes a difference for cabin acoustics, not laminated glass)
  • Dedicated driver display
  • Performance trim actually has better seats (bolstering for instance)
  • Better rear view (you can barely see anything through the rear window)
  • Improved 12v battery system? (nervous that currently it can still die with little to no warning)
  • A proper sensor for automatic wiper blades
  • Sentry mode that is 100% reliable

I'd pay upwards of an additional 10k for all these features. Things like tail lights, boombox, new center console, laminated window, etc are awesome since they are simply improving the product without changing the price (if anything they've lowered the price on the Y). I feel comfortable saying most people here are aware that Tesla continuously improves the vehicle behind the scenes (since lots continue to wonder if they got the heated steering wheel and it just needs 'activation') so this feeling of FOMO was inevitable.

Add $10k and you are rapidly approaching at least entry level Model S prices... But all of those things should be in incorporated and I bet a lot will in the next couple of years.

Sorry I missed that and I was not aware that others on reddit already posted the screen.
A google found the link, and sure enough there's the heated steering wheel in the seat heater settings.
https://twitter.com/klwtts/status/1348801310242455552