Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a knack to EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the EAP free trial for about a week now, and to be honest, I'm pretty disappointed with it. I'm leasing the car, so wouldn't have bothered buying it, but I've been waiting on news on the subscription service. Unfortunately, my experience with it so far has turned me off the idea of subscribing to it.

I LOVE the standard AP, and use it whenever I can, but even just the lane-change functionality in the EAP seems slow, clunky and inconsistent. It's exacerbated by the fact that it regularly makes you look like a bad driver when you indicate to change lanes, it waits a few seconds, bails out and then you have to start the process again. If I was behind me, I'd be watching the indicators and thinking "what's this joker up to?"

The NoA functionality takes this to a whole other level. When the roads are moderately busy, there's very little chance for it to actually change lanes by the time it's found a gap big enough, suggested it could change, waited for you to confirm and then took it's sweet time about it. 75% of the time it's missed the gap and you look like a twat again!

Am I expecting too much? Do I need to change the way I use it? Is there a knack to using it? What are people's opinions?

Reactions: Gatsojon
One good thing about Navigate on Autopilot is that it makes normal AP look like Driving Miss Daisy.

Had my first shot today and it tried to get me to sit in the outside lane of a two lane motorway presumably because there were off exits ahead that I wouldn't be taking.
When it did get to my off ramp it indicated way too late and almost slammed me into the barrier. Seemed to be heading for the hard shoulder rather than the lane.

At what point do Tesla pay you the £3.4k? :)

Having tried it on reasonably empty roads it NOA seemed to work okish. It seemed clunky to get it to changes lanes, but was nice to see a car do that at 70mph. It wasn't busy, so didn't really need to worry about it aborting.

As for taking an exit, I was quite impressed, it happily indicated (a bit late mind), took the exit, cancelled the indicator, then indicated again, took the slip and cancelled again.

I have, like you however found it busier traffic getting stuck in the outside lane with no hope of making the exit.

I'm impressed by cool tech, but there's no way I'd pay £3400 let alone the full £7200 for this. And yes, I know part of that fee is to fund the development and so you get it at cut rate... a bit like using Kickstarter, and similar gamble... just much more expensive.

What's I've not figured out, with EAP or NOA is how to change lanes without it cancelled AP. Apparently it can be done, but not by me.

Having tried it on reasonably empty roads it NOA seemed to work okish. It seemed clunky to get it to changes lanes, but was nice to see a car do that at 70mph. It wasn't busy, so didn't really need to worry about it aborting.

As for taking an exit, I was quite impressed, it happily indicated (a bit late mind), took the exit, cancelled the indicator, then indicated again, took the slip and cancelled again.

I have, like you however found it busier traffic getting stuck in the outside lane with no hope of making the exit.

I'm impressed by cool tech, but there's no way I'd pay £3400 let alone the full £7200 for this. And yes, I know part of that fee is to fund the development and so you get it at cut rate... a bit like using Kickstarter, and similar gamble... just much more expensive.

What's I've not figured out, with EAP or NOA is how to change lanes without it cancelled AP. Apparently it can be done, but not by me.
Is NoA turned on in settings? AP shouldn’t cancel unless you physically steer out of the lane yourself.

Similar to you. @VanillaAir_UK has written a good post somewhere on the EAP trial thread about best practise for using it to get decent results, but in general I found it to be more stressful than without using it, which entirely defeats the object.

Too many people don't look at it this way.

Will it do what it says on the tin? Yes, mostly. But the entire point is to save you stress, not add to it. If you're waiting and praying it's going to make an auto lane change before the truck closing in on you is going to take that gap, well, it's just not worth it.

I had it on my previous car, before AP was standard. I liked the features, but not enough to purchase it again when it was offered here last year.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
As the driver needs to hold the wheel, initiate the signal, stay alert, initiate moving back once past another car, continue nudging the wheel and also be prepared for an abort It's easier to overtake as I've managed to do successfully since the 70s.

No need for the embarrassment of sometimes appearing to indicate, initiate a move, abort, swerve & generally drive like a nervous centenarian.

Using EAP (Expect A Problem) a few times was definitely a 'trial'

Reactions: Mrklaw
In busy traffic NoA is a bit pointless because the safety margin, but maybe thats the reality. People bang on about our regulations but from the videos I've watched its more to do with the way people drive in different countries, the gaps that are left etc. There's a point between overly cautious and downright dangerous that we each pick as acceptable to pull out in front of a car closing on us in the lane we move into. An automated system will always tend to the safer end of that range. In light traffic its not an issue as the gaps tend to be bigger.

There is however nothing stopping you using the indicator and just triggering the lane change when you want to, you don't need to wait for the suggestion. If you're paying attention like you should you'll already know if you want to move out. The NoA prediction for lane change isn't brilliant at the best of times as anyone used to reading the road ahead, moving early if traffic is gaining from behind etc would all do if they were a good driver. NoA just seems to wait until you're a certain distance behind and gaining on the car in front.