Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a limitation with high wind speed for Model X falcon wings opening ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NeverFollow

Aug 9, 2010
I noticed this new video Bjørn Nyland about Tesla Model X falcon wing door software update (4/9/2016).

and Model X Falcon Wing 'Umbrella Mode' Protects Passengers From Rain and Snow.

I remember that Elon Musk mentioning such additional enhancement during his trip to Hong Kong
Tesla Special Event in Hong Kong with Elon Musk (1/25/2016).

Still, I feel concern about high wind when opening the Model X falcon wings.

I imagine that because of the Model X curb weight of 5300 lbs (2400 kg) it would be difficult to have it tipping over.

however, I wonder if there is any mention of wind speed limitation(I guess before the falcon wings get damaged)?

Actually, I worry about this too. In a typical car, with doors being fully manual, in high wind conditions you just grab the door strongly to prevent it from whipping open too far / too fast. I don't know what to do to prevent damage to the FWD in a similar situation.

This is a real concern. I took our X to a recent event, and thankfully had it tethered. I got this photo before reeling it back in.

WindyX.jpg

The Model S's liftgate will detect when there are high-wind conditions while opening or while open, will beep several times, and then will begin closing again to protect from damage. I'm unsure whether Model X also follows this protocol, but Model S definitely detects that.

High winds are not very likely - they are guaranteed - to turn standard automobile doors into Dangerous Projectiles.

If the wind is coming from the vehicle's front, the door can close with the efficacy of a guillotine on a hand, arm and even body.

From the other direction, the door can cause thousands of dollars of damage to itself, its hinges, the A-pillar and the fender. And - from personal experience - on the adjacent car's side panels when parked less than one full open-arc distance away:oops:

The FWD design precludes those catastrophic possibilities; whatever its limitations are they won't be the above.

My experience with high winds in the Mt Rose ski lot is that the FWD are less prone to getting whipped around than conventional doors. But there is an issue with closing both the front door and the FWD at the same time in high winds, because the upper rear corner of the glass window on the front door can collide with the lower front edge of the FWD when the wind is really whipping. I suspect Tesla will eventually remedy this with a software update that lowers the front door window by an extra inch when both doors are being closed at the same time.