TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is there a pedestrian avoidance system in Tesla?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by pchan, Mar 12, 2016.

1. pchan

pchan Member

I believe there is no pedestrian avoidance system in Tesla like Volvo? :confused:

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

you believe correctly
    other than the tacc reading it as an obstuction, there is nothing else

3. pvogel

pvogel Member

All the tech is there to support it, so it could be a software update later on. For now it's just the basic collision/obstruction detection and since the human body is largely transparent to ultrasound and radar it would be touchy whether the pedestrian is in front of the right sensor long enough and in the right position to trip the anti collision sensing. There's a video out there of a guy testing summon's ability to detect and stop with various small obstacles including himself and eventually as he gained confidence, his kid, but they were positioned carefully.

4. Roamer

Roamer Member

The steering wheel accelerator interconnect has served that purpose for 100 years.

Recently a flock of birds took flight across the front of my Model S while driving at 45 miles per hour in auto drive. The car aggressively slowed then immediately accelerated back to my set speed. So it not only responds to humans it even responds to birds when operating in auto drive.

5. BJJ Brown Belt

6. elguapo

elguapo Member

MobileEye's firmware does it using the camera only. TM apparently threw out the stock firmware to create AP, but as said earlier, the hardware is there and the software has already been created by MobileEye, so there's no secret about how to make it work.

7. pchan

pchan Member

Model S or X? Did the auto pilot adjust the falcon door to steer you away from the flock of birds when you were flying? :cool:

8. MrJones390

MrJones390 Space Boat

When I summon the car it won't run into me -- not sure if that's relevant here.