Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a pedestrian avoidance system in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the tech is there to support it, so it could be a software update later on. For now it's just the basic collision/obstruction detection and since the human body is largely transparent to ultrasound and radar it would be touchy whether the pedestrian is in front of the right sensor long enough and in the right position to trip the anti collision sensing. There's a video out there of a guy testing summon's ability to detect and stop with various small obstacles including himself and eventually as he gained confidence, his kid, but they were positioned carefully.

The steering wheel accelerator interconnect has served that purpose for 100 years.

Recently a flock of birds took flight across the front of my Model S while driving at 45 miles per hour in auto drive. The car aggressively slowed then immediately accelerated back to my set speed. So it not only responds to humans it even responds to birds when operating in auto drive.

MobileEye's firmware does it using the camera only. TM apparently threw out the stock firmware to create AP, but as said earlier, the hardware is there and the software has already been created by MobileEye, so there's no secret about how to make it work.

Model S or X? Did the auto pilot adjust the falcon door to steer you away from the flock of birds when you were flying? :cool:

The steering wheel accelerator interconnect has served that purpose for 100 years.

Recently a flock of birds took flight across the front of my Model S while driving at 45 miles per hour in auto drive. The car aggressively slowed then immediately accelerated back to my set speed. So it not only responds to humans it even responds to birds when operating in auto drive.

I experienced my first alert of a pedestrian a few weeks ago (on Thanksgiving, actually). Unfortunately, it was a false alarm. I was on a two-lane road, coming around a curve to the left. There was a sign post on the right side of the road, which vaguely resembled a human form (diamond shaped at the top with a rectangle below it - it could have looked like a head and shoulders).

As I rounded the corner, I heard "beep beep beep" and saw an red image of a human on the right side of the IC. No automatic braking. I hit the brakes pretty quickly so I am not sure if I had waited if automatic braking would have occurred.

Pretty cool though - I haven't heard of anyone else seeing the red human form except for a contrived test with a willing subject.