Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a reason for no Surround View when in reverse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 M3P owner here. My previous car was a MB C43 AMG and I can honestly say I like nearly everything about my Model 3 over the Mercedes. The one exception would be the Surround View overhead image that appeared when in reverse in my Mercedes (see image). This proved to be a very useful feature, and I miss it.

Is there a reason that this is not offered in the Model 3? I would think that with the number of cameras on the Model 3, it would be technically feasible to offer this. Anyone have any insight into why this is not offered?

wCu3DhUsqne1hU0S7UJHP5ISL2lAFiDECUitLWwID5hqQiceVlVFxy8gparkGQZgAZ_CTrlHdkaJ0yfrCQ4ApjW9Y8jOACAmszVazt0LMGVPukVFXPEwzCVVH88GGTyje8hj3b63RGS95hurNQzgIV5A2yqrhRQt9si4LGuqVvnPzGLG5v9mrYg4aYLGSyQ8i-hHaQeWxCbBlB_uU0S-DLA

2020 M3P owner here. My previous car was a MB C43 AMG and I can honestly say I like nearly everything about my Model 3 over the Mercedes. The one exception would be the Surround View overhead image that appeared when in reverse in my Mercedes (see image). This proved to be a very useful feature, and I miss it.

Is there a reason that this is not offered in the Model 3? I would think that with the number of cameras on the Model 3, it would be technically feasible to offer this. Anyone have any insight into why this is not offered?

wCu3DhUsqne1hU0S7UJHP5ISL2lAFiDECUitLWwID5hqQiceVlVFxy8gparkGQZgAZ_CTrlHdkaJ0yfrCQ4ApjW9Y8jOACAmszVazt0LMGVPukVFXPEwzCVVH88GGTyje8hj3b63RGS95hurNQzgIV5A2yqrhRQt9si4LGuqVvnPzGLG5v9mrYg4aYLGSyQ8i-hHaQeWxCbBlB_uU0S-DLA
Tweet @Elon

• Funny
Reactions: MXLRplus
From watching that Tesla FSD/Neural Network video(see below) from a few weeks back he says that the cameras are not in the right spots for a 360 view. There's more than a few blind spots which is why Summon and Self-Driving have to build the area around the car to be able to proceed forward/backwards.

I thought Elon Tweeted about adding the fender (repeater?) cameras to the "backup view" but I don't know what that would look like since they're at a different angle than the trunk camera.

I can say, curb your wheels once and you won't have an issue after that... you'll KNOW where you damn wheels are at afterwards thats for sure.

Watch the youtube video, it really makes you realize how amazing the cars are (not fanboying just saying, it's cool tech using JUST cameras and radar)

This has come up several times before. IIRC these systems are patented and additionally Tesla's cameras are not optimally placed for creating that type of overall view. I think they're too upward facing to see the ground right next to the car in all places.
I also have a Mercedes with this system and really wish Tesla had something like it.

It's camera placement, plain and simple.

Our Buick has one in the grille, one in the liftgate, and one underneath each side view mirror. Stitch those 4 images together and you have a reasonable 360-degree view.

On the Model 3, we have one in the windshield (which leaves the area immediately in front of the bumper unviewable), one in the trunklid (fine), two forward-facing B-pillar cameras, and two rear-facing front fender cameras.

The side views still have a blind spot pretty close to where the driver's door is, and the front view isn't possible in front of the bumper (where a 360-surround view would need it most.)

So that's why - the cams just aren't right.

Additionally - I'm not an automotive engineer, but all cameras except the rear view are connected to the Autopilot/HW3 computer. Only the rear camera has a direct connection to the "infotainment" computer - which drives the display screen.

The link between the two computers is only 100mbit. Not sure if that'd be enough bandwidth to push across both repeater camera feeds, in real time, with the smoothness needed to view while backing up.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Additionally - I'm not an automotive engineer, but all cameras except the rear view are connected to the Autopilot/HW3 computer. Only the rear camera has a direct connection to the "infotainment" computer - which drives the display screen.
That shouldn't be a problem, given that the dashcam feature has no trouble writing video from several cameras in addition to the rear one to the USB port (which is connected to the MCU).

I think you're right that the camera placement and viewing angles are the problem.

Reactions: Hank42
If that's the case, neither 360° view or FSD will come any time soon. :(

You can probably get close to FSD (though never really a 360 overhead view) if the car understands persistence of objects that pass out of camera view closer to the car- at least stationary ones.

Your problem is moving ones. Park car- 3 hours later a dog lays down behind a wheel under the car or something- out of camera view. 3 more hours later he's napping there when summon runs him over.

Unless they just disable any remote operation if the car ever saw something enter a blind spot while it was parked (which'd require sentry to always be on I suppose)

Not just placement but type too- the 360 parking cams are generally fisheye lenses

Indeed. It works rather well - and in fact, our Enclave’s rear view mirror is also an LCD screen - displays the Rear camera at all times.

Given how (relatively) small the rear glass is in its lift gate, this is spectacular. Doesn’t matter how much stuff I’m transporting, I have a clear, unobstructed, wide angle view in the rear view mirror. Splendid feature that I wish Tesla would copy.

Indeed. It works rather well - and in fact, our Enclave’s rear view mirror is also an LCD screen - displays the Rear camera at all times.

Given how (relatively) small the rear glass is in its lift gate, this is spectacular. Doesn’t matter how much stuff I’m transporting, I have a clear, unobstructed, wide angle view in the rear view mirror. Splendid feature that I wish Tesla would copy.

I don't remember but doesn't the Model 3 allow you to display the rear camera while driving? Press talk button and say "Show Camera" and it appears on the display.

• Informative
Reactions: BDV300