Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a reason to place a Model Y reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tmoz

S85D, Y LR, ex Prius PiP
Aug 16, 2015
Gilbert, Arizona
I had 2 model 3 reservations (day 1 standing in line), but pulled the plug on them, as the car wasn't quite what I had in mind.
I think model Y is going to be the car to replace the 2012 PiP, but I see no reason to put in for a reservation.
I would like to wait about 9 months after volume production starts so I don't have to experience the model Y production pains. I have a model S and love it.

I'm just wondering what the reservation numbers are going to look like.

I'd be happy to loan them the 2.5K if they really need it, but I'm not sensing the rush of the masses to put down for a model Y reservation although I think more people want that car than the 3.

thoughts?

Me too! My plan is to skip Y and go straight to Pickup Truck.
I want them both. Sure hope the truck isn't a monster truck, but I think I may have to wait again for a more modest tesla pickup. I've got a 2004 Chevy Colorado with 140,000 miles. I would like something just a little bigger but not that much bigger. Hope it lasts long enough. Gas tank has been replaced twice and the engine dies while driving perhaps once every 4 or 5 months, but restarts quickly enough so that it hardly misses a beat.

Unless you have an overwhelming NEED to be the very first: no. Excitement is nowhere near what the Model 3 had, so the deposits list will be quickly exhausted and you be able to buy one at your leisure soon after release.
That's what I'm thinking. The reservation system peaked and faded with the model 3.
Now, if we are talking about the new roadster, that is a different story, but for mass produced vehicles, I think the reservation system, along with its novelty, died with the opening of the model 3 to everyone. By dying, I mean under 50,000 max reservations for the model Y. I wouldn't be surprised if it were closer to 10,000.

I had 2 model 3 reservations (day 1 standing in line), but pulled the plug on them, as the car wasn't quite what I had in mind.
I think model Y is going to be the car to replace the 2012 PiP, but I see no reason to put in for a reservation.
I would like to wait about 9 months after volume production starts so I don't have to experience the model Y production pains. I have a model S and love it.

I'm just wondering what the reservation numbers are going to look like.

I'd be happy to loan them the 2.5K if they really need it, but I'm not sensing the rush of the masses to put down for a model Y reservation although I think more people want that car than the 3.

thoughts?

It puts you early in line to get one. How long the wait depends on how many reservations.
I don't expect huge assembly line issues like on the Model 3. First, it is basically the same car and by the time it ships, there will probably be three or more other lines in production for the Model 3.