Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a recommended windshield washer fluid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I was very disappointed to see that the entire washer fluid reservoir in my 3 only holds 3 quarts at best. My '11 Challenger R/T would hold exactly a full gallon. What the hell, Tesla?

My old Volksvagens took just a little under two quarts. Which meant that one gallon would last two fills plus just enough to be annoying left over. I'm content with "more than half a gallon", not least because water is heavy, so lugging less of it around means more efficiency.

They might do it for free. Or they might charge. For example, Tesla tends to charge a lot to rotate tires, apparently because it's something that can be done anywhere, and they'd rather not have that work. It might be the same for this. I think I spent about $5 for a gallon at a generic auto parts store. Not sure, but certainly not $20.

Oh that may explain why my SC would want to charge me 200$CAD for simply swapping tires on my delivery day...
(tires, wheels and tpms are already set and balanced, snow is already here)...

You can also make windshield washer fluid by adding a 1/2 cup of ammonia and 1 tablespoon of dish soap to a gallon of water and then shaking the mixture thoroughly. You can add vinegar or isopropyl alcohol also.

Ammonia is great for glass of course. But not great on paint. Also, dish soap has de-greasers which are also not great on paint.

I ran my washer fluid tank to empty, before refilling it. It took just under a gallon. Used a jug of 'blue stuff' that I had on the shelf in my garage. Not even sure what brand, because the label fell off.

Reactions: DrDabbles
I use Sonax Clear View (purchased at Amazon) mixed in distilled water. Very happy with the glass cleaning performance, this combo doesn't leave streaks on my car, and it smells nice.
This stuff does not reduce the freezing temp of the washer fluid, so not for cold weather use... fortunately it doesn't freeze where I live ;)
-Mark

Last edited:
Ok, me too....With regard to tap water, it will develop a scum which will clog lines and most definitely plug up nozzles. In winter it will freeze and expand and possibly crack reservoir, lines, and the pump itself.

So - Seriously, any specific suggestions for Tesla / PPF / ceramic safe wiper fluid for cold weather use on a white car?

The factory blue stuff leaves streaks that are annoying but obviously not a critical issue.

Thanks

So I noticed that my windshield has a ton of streaks on it and where the blades stop has a clear mark where you can easily see through the window. I thought maybe the washer fluid tesla put in at the service center was rainx or something. This morning I tried to clean it off with alchohol + water but man it wouldn't come off. There is some sort of layer of something smeared all over the window. What's good to clean it off?

This thread prompted me to look for a local source of distilled water that did not include buying a plastic jug each gallon. I am pleasantly surprised to learn that Whole Foods hosts a BYOB dispensary of freshPure water. Buy the deionized stuff, which is one step past reverse osmosis.

Regarding the blue color + additives. It can be bought as a concentrate or as tablets. I get the impression that it is mostly a very mild detergent

The stuff that comes in the Model 3 leaves blue stains when it dries. Very annoying.

I've got a bunch of the concentrated stuff that Toyota uses. I'll replace it with that as soon as I use up the Tesla stuff.
Same here! I got my Tesla Model 3 2022 Dec. 4, 2021. I used the fluid that was in the car. I saw it all over the drivers side if my white car! I thought why would Tesla use a fluid that did that? Blue streaks and lines all over?

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Same here! I got my Tesla Model 3 2022 Dec. 4, 2021. I used the fluid that was in the car. I saw it all over the drivers side if my white car! I thought why would Tesla use a fluid that did that? Blue streaks and lines all over?
Mercedes has very dye heavy stuff too, it's annoying but whatever.

If it really bothers you, just run it down for a bit then add some water (distilled if you've got it) as that will thin it out. After that just pick something up at the store like you always have.