Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a recommended windshield washer fluid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stuff that comes in the Model 3 leaves blue stains when it dries. Very annoying.

I've got a bunch of the concentrated stuff that Toyota uses. I'll replace it with that as soon as I use up the Tesla stuff.

LOL...no shi* right? Just did a trip to Tahoe and got a few bug splats, used the wipers fine....pulled over to charge and was like " WTF is all this blue shi* all over our white car"???? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Got home and before washing it, I drained it all out.

Reactions: MetaM3P
Unless you’re planning on drinking out of your windshield wipers, the main reason for not using water is you don’t want it to freeze and cause your lines to crack.

Straight water can be a great place for bacteria to thrive then you spray it all over your windshield and it mists into the air. Places have had outbreaks of Legionnaires disease because of it.

Right, however

1. It requires neglect and UK type weather
2. 10 cases a year, of which 2 are thought to be related to car wiper fluid
3. Not mentioned but likely that the affected were elderly or had diseased lungs (COPD, etc.)
4. Has nothing to do with using water to wipe down the seats

Find something else to agonize and be paranoid about. There are much better candidates.

Last edited:
I use the same RainX fluid I have for all prior cars. The owner's manual discourages this, as it may result in chattering of the wipers, but seeing in the rain is worth that risk IMO. I've not had any issues so far. I even added the RainX additive to the wiper fluid that shipped from the factory, as it was not beading on my windshield. Again, no issues after three months and two fills.

I only wish there was a way to soak the windshield with fluid on the wiper down stroke. I park under trees at work and get very fine tree sap droplets. It takes a lot of wiper fluid to get those fine sap drops off when the wipers only spray on the up stroke which immediately gets wiped up.

[QUOTE="So does Tesla have a *recommended* washer fluid? If not, is there a brand readily available that you've used over time, in a modern system such as the M3, that works well and doesn't cause problems with wiper blades, auto weather sensing, etc. that you recommend? Thanks!
r[/QUOTE]
@radiocycle -- what washer fluid did you end up using, and has it worked out.? I'm in a climate that sometimes gets below 0 F.

@radiocycle -- what washer fluid did you end up using, and has it worked out.? I'm in a climate that sometimes gets below 0 F.

Yeah, this stuff is working just fine, but here in the SF Bay Area, we don't much see temps like that! It's the SONAX Clear View Windshield Washer 1:100 Concentrate, Green Lemon. Got it on Amazon. Made in Germany. *However* It does say, 'Protect against freezing'. I don't think this product would work in your area.

r

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I plan to go to the service center at Carlsbad CA to refill the fluid, as it gave a low level alert. Just wonder if they would do it immediately, or I would have to leave my car there and come back later? Would they give me a loaner in that case? Thank you.

The issue with tesla is that there is no number I can call to talk to an agent on site... Hope you can provide some inputs on this.