Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a risk of cracking the rear window when jacking up the Model 3 from just one jack point

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read on here somewhere that there was a risk of cracking the rear window on the Model 3 if you only jack it up from one jack point. Is this true?
Has anyone had this happen to them? How about if you jack the whole side of the car up with two jacks at the same time? Thanks.

I drove up an incline in a parking lot once diagonally, so one front wheel first, and there was a loud crack noise. “That was weird, hope it was nothing” I thought. Some time later I noticed that the rear window was cracked all along the bottom. Can’t definitively say it was that event, but…
Replaced window has been fine at the same incline (can’t easily avoid it).
I’d wonder about jacking it from a single corner too.

I drove up an incline in a parking lot once diagonally, so one front wheel first, and there was a loud crack noise. “That was weird, hope it was nothing” I thought. Some time later I noticed that the rear window was cracked all along the bottom. Can’t definitively say it was that event, but…
Replaced window has been fine at the same incline (can’t easily avoid it).
I’d wonder about jacking it from a single corner too.
Thanks, sorry that happened to you. I will jack the rear and front at the same time from now on. I only have 2 floor jacks, so that is the best I can do right now.

For tire rotations, I jack the front far enough to slip my bottle jack under the rear point, then jack up the rear until the wheel clears.

I also had the rear jacked for a day while waiting for a flat tire to be repaired, with no ill effects. I put wood blocks under the suspension knuckle "just in case", but the Harbor Freight jack held firm.

I read on here somewhere that there was a risk of cracking the rear window on the Model 3 if you only jack it up from one jack point. Is this true?
Has anyone had this happen to them? How about if you jack the whole side of the car up with two jacks at the same time? Thanks.
I've only ever jacked my car up at one point to change wheels. My back window has not broken yet.

Whilst it does seem unlikely to be the cause, I now have a broken rear screen. The crack wasn’t there when I drove the car yesterday and the only thing to have happened in the meantime was jacking to lubricate the brakes. The car was parked off road and under a car port