Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a supercharger at Tesla in Palo Alto? Others around?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped my car off at Burlingame for a few things. Yes, the Supercharger inside is functional but, no, it's not for public use even during service hours. They may make a rare exception if someone's desperate for a rapid charge and cannot make do with the HPWCs outside.

Just got this from the Supercharger team about the Palo Alto charger:

Thank you for your email and support! That picture is actually of a Supercharger post that is only outfitted as a High Power Wall Connector. This is for employee vehicles.

We appreciate your enthusiasm and support of Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thanks,
Tesla Supercharger Team

The cord to the charge port does seem a lot more flexible than those on superchargers (based on posted pic).. maybe it's true.. it's just a HPWC. Those supercharger posts would make for a great novelty item folks to install at home (with a HPWC or UMC inside).

"That picture is actually of a Supercharger post that is only outfitted as a High Power Wall Connector. This is for employee vehicles."

That is funny! :) I guess they did that just for their own amusement.

So once again we are back to no publicly available Superchargers on the SF Peninsula, as I suspected. That is consistent with Tesla's plan to base them outside major metropolitan areas. Fremont and Hawthorne are the exceptions, for obvious reasons.

So once again we are back to no publicly available Superchargers on the SF Peninsula, as I suspected. That is consistent with Tesla's plan to base them outside major metropolitan areas. Fremont and Hawthorne are the exceptions, for obvious reasons.

There are persistent rumors though of a Supercharger in San Francisco proper, most likely at a new service center (again rumored) there. This is purportedly for the benefit of city dwellers who don't have garage parking and such.

Hard to imagine a Model S owner in SF who can afford a $80K+ car but doesn't have a garage. But I recognize that in the future as Tesla works to reach a broader market with the Gen III car there needs to be charging solutions for the millions of Americans who don't have access to electrical sources where they park their cars every night.

However I will be surprised if Tesla sets up publicly available Superchargers on SF anytime soon.

Hard to imagine a Model S owner in SF who can afford a $80K+ car but doesn't have a garage. But I recognize that in the future as Tesla works to reach a broader market with the Gen III car there needs to be charging solutions for the millions of Americans who don't have access to electrical sources where they park their cars every night.

However I will be surprised if Tesla sets up publicly available Superchargers on SF anytime soon.

Meh, not all living options out here include your own private garage :\

Thanks for shooting off that e-mail again, gg. Good to know that it's shaped like a supercharger, but not actually one :p heh. Talk about a tease.

Just for "fun" I did drive by Tesla headquarters briefly looking for this post, it was not in the visitor area, but there were about 25 Teslas (including several Roadsters) charging in the Visitor / Charging area using the HPWC. No idea if these were really "visitors" or employees.

The photo in this thread looks like it is in the back of the building, not in the visitor / lobby area.

I did not see this supercharger post but didn't look all too hard. . And clearly if there is just one, I really don't think it would be meant for public use.

Just for "fun" I did drive by Tesla headquarters briefly looking for this post, it was not in the visitor area, but there were about 25 Teslas (including several Roadsters) charging in the Visitor / Charging area using the HPWC. No idea if these were really "visitors" or employees.

The photo in this thread looks like it is in the back of the building, not in the visitor / lobby area.

I did not see this supercharger post but didn't look all too hard. . And clearly if there is just one, I really don't think it would be meant for public use.

You were about 100 feet from it! So close. That charging area that you saw... you just had to keep driving right past it, and the fake supercharger was right in the back of the building.