Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a technical reason to not primarily use the Model 3 key card instead of a phone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the Model 3 Owner's Manual: "Connect a Phone Key to unlock your Model 3 without ever taking your phone out of your pocket. We recommend the Phone Key as the primary method of accessing and starting your vehicle." Is there a technical reason to not primarily use the Model 3 key card instead of a phone?

Nope, no reason to not use the key card as your primary access method other than the convenience factor. Be aware that you need to swipe the key card on the B pillar to lock the car if you used it to unlock the car. The auto lock on walking away only happens when you originally unlock the car with your smartphone.

Reactions: Taohongjing
I actually can only use my card to unlock and drive the car at the moment. I bought my Model 3 from a used dealership and it came with the key cards but I cannot add my car to the Tesla app until I provide a copy of my registration.

It works fine, and I think my car gets much more glances when I put my wallet up to it in order to unlock it ;) the only annoyance is you have to turn the car on within a certain amount of time before it requires you to place the key card by the cup holder to reauthenticate yourself.

Nope, no reason to not use the key card as your primary access method other than the convenience factor. Be aware that you need to swipe the key card on the B pillar to lock the car if you used it to unlock the car. The auto lock on walking away only happens when you originally unlock the car with your smartphone.
Not true. I have in the past gotten locked out of my car because my phone did not unlock the car (widely discussed and elusive phone key issues) and I used my key card instead, then placed it by the cupholder and drove to my destination. I parked and stepped out and when I returned to the car, the phone key flaked on me again and after searching my wallet I realized that I left the key card inside. I had to fiddle with the phone app to get it working but it would have been a tough situation if my phone battery had died for sure.

Just my 2 cents.

I actually can only use my card to unlock and drive the car at the moment. I bought my Model 3 from a used dealership and it came with the key cards but I cannot add my car to the Tesla app until I provide a copy of my registration.

It works fine, and I think my car gets much more glances when I put my wallet up to it in order to unlock it ;) the only annoyance is you have to turn the car on within a certain amount of time before it requires you to place the key card by the cup holder to reauthenticate yourself.

Awesome thanks!

Not true. I have in the past gotten locked out of my car because my phone did not unlock the car (widely discussed and elusive phone key issues) and I used my key card instead, then placed it by the cupholder and drove to my destination. I parked and stepped out and when I returned to the car, the phone key flaked on me again and after searching my wallet I realized that I left the key card inside. I had to fiddle with the phone app to get it working but it would have been a tough situation if my phone battery had died for sure.

Just my 2 cents.

Really important. Thank you.

Just my 2 cents.
Very possibly because the car finally saw your phone awhile driving and then saw it leave.

Reactions: Taohongjing