Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a timezone setting to data being logged in Tesla app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I try submitting a service request to Tesla, which I’m predicting will go nowhere, does anyone know if there is a timezone setting somewhere that controls how home usage data is logged in the app?

I typically charge my EVs overnight and am seeing that some of the nightly home usage data is being logged for the next day. From my calculations, it seems that home usage as of around 9pm my time (Pacific) forward is being counted for the next day, which makes me think that my account is on Eastern somehow but I can’t find anything in my account or settings that shows a timezone.

I’ve attached example graphs. My actual home usage on 5/10 was more than 5/11, but 5/11 is being counted as a lot more. And 5/6 & 7 is being counted as almost the same when 5/6 is clearly a lot more usage based on the graph. I’m seeing this same behavior consistently on other days.

Not a big issue in the bigger picture but any ideas on anything I can do before I contact Tesla?

Attachments

• 9FACD364-01BB-4D71-9B8D-16041F3A77FC.jpeg
    9FACD364-01BB-4D71-9B8D-16041F3A77FC.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 7D440C60-612D-4588-B171-9E54023EB10F.jpeg
    7D440C60-612D-4588-B171-9E54023EB10F.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 55
Do you have powerwalls? If so, you can log into the powerwall gateway interface and see what time zone it says its in. I dont think you can change it there yourself but timezone should be something that tesla support should be able to see easily.

I certainly would not "submit a service request to tesla" using the app, however. It appears to me that anything submitted through the app gets thrown into a big bucket and basically ignored if its not something a person can do in 2 seconds.

I would call tesla energy at their support phone number. If you dont have it, and want to call, I can post it for you.

I have a solar roof, no powerwalls, and a Tesla powerblaster (Neurio) capturing grid usage data. I've been using a python script to pull data from Tesla's energy API which I believe is the same API used by the Tesla app. (For me at least) Tesla stores grid_power and solar_power values in 15-minute intervals with UTC timestamps. Home usage is derived client side: solar_power + grid_power. My guess is that Tesla configures your systems' time zone in one of their back-end systems and that is the what the app uses to convert the UTC timestamped data. The site_info API endpoint returns a time_zone_offset field. I'd check that to see if your site has the correct offset. If the offset is wrong, you'll need to call customer service and ask for tier 2 support to fix the offset.

Of course, it might be easier to just call customer support straight away and ask for a tier 2 tech to fix your time zone offset.

I have a solar roof, no powerwalls, and a Tesla powerblaster (Neurio) capturing grid usage data. I've been using a python script to pull data from Tesla's energy API which I believe is the same API used by the Tesla app. (For me at least) Tesla stores grid_power and solar_power values in 15-minute intervals with UTC timestamps. Home usage is derived client side: solar_power + grid_power. My guess is that Tesla configures your systems' time zone in one of their back-end systems and that is the what the app uses to convert the UTC timestamped data. The site_info API endpoint returns a time_zone_offset field. I'd check that to see if your site has the correct offset. If the offset is wrong, you'll need to call customer service and ask for tier 2 support to fix the offset.

Of course, it might be easier to just call customer support straight away and ask for a tier 2 tech to fix your time zone offset.
Do you have your python script on git? Thank you

Do you have your python script on git?

Although my specific code is not available in a public repo, I started with this one:
enode-engineering/tesla-oauth2

Recent authentication API changes from Tesla broke the login process in this code forcing me to login from a browser and manually grab a callback code from the response. It's all very hack-y right now and I haven't had time to look at it closely to clean it up - sorry I don't have anything nicer to share.

We discussed this in another thread I start that was an extension of other Neurio issues so I did call Tesla and opened a ticket. Net, they said this is expected behavior and there was nothing to be changed. I have no powerwalls or EV’s. Unfortunately the data usage from their apps isn’t going to be accurate so I just dropped it. The Sense monitoring tool is much better when it come to this but it was at an additional cost.

If you use the app, select a period (day, month, year) and then download the CSV file, it's set to what I think is the time-zone the system is installed at. The daily data is in 5 minute intervals. Of course I cannot be 100% sure since I have only done this while in the same time zone the device is at.

Although my specific code is not available in a public repo, I started with this one:
enode-engineering/tesla-oauth2

Recent authentication API changes from Tesla broke the login process in this code forcing me to login from a browser and manually grab a callback code from the response. It's all very hack-y right now and I haven't had time to look at it closely to clean it up - sorry I don't have anything nicer to share.
Thank you for the link. Will try it out.