Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is There a Vent Setting (Neither Heat nor A/C)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in FL we have our first 'cold' spell. I did not need A/C this morning, and didn't want to use heat, just an open vent to the outside air to cool the solar heat gain. It appears that there is either A/C or heat, all automatically adjusted by the car. No 'vent' position. You can turn off A/C but from the wattage increase it appears that the heat automatically goes on when outside temp is below the 'Lo' setting. Is there a way to open the vents? (Other than opening a window...) Thanks.

Here in FL we have our first 'cold' spell. I did not need A/C this morning, and didn't want to use heat, just an open vent to the outside air to cool the solar heat gain. It appears that there is either A/C or heat, all automatically adjusted by the car. No 'vent' position. You can turn off A/C but from the wattage increase it appears that the heat automatically goes on when outside temp is below the 'Lo' setting. Is there a way to open the vents? (Other than opening a window...) Thanks.
Hmm I guess I thought turning off AC and taking car off of “recycle” air was essentially open vent to outside? Is that not correct?
Your saying turning AC off actually “increased” the power?

Hmm I guess I thought turning off AC and taking car off of “recycle” air was essentially open vent to outside? Is that not correct?
Your saying turning AC off actually “increased” the power?[/QUO

Vent would be Temp to LO, AC: OFF, Fan: Manual

Anecdotally I noted that watts/mile jumped 100+ with temp on 'Lo', fan manual, recirc off. Outside temp was in 50's and the air output was not 'cold'. (Sorry to my northern brethren, no rub meant. Check in this summer with 90's and 100% humidity in hurricane alley).

We've been in the 40s/50s here in Vegas for a few weeks in the AM. I usually run Lo, fan manual, recirc off and I don't get any heat in my cabin. In fact, the cabin is quite cold and I have run my seat heaters on the way to work. I don't notice any appreciable Wh/mi with the car in "Vent mode."

However, be aware that the colder temps will be less efficient for your battery, and a your Wh/mi will go up just based on that alone.

Reactions: gt2690b
Anecdotally I noted that watts/mile jumped 100+ with temp on 'Lo', fan manual, recirc off. Outside temp was in 50's and the air output was not 'cold'. (Sorry to my northern brethren, no rub meant. Check in this summer with 90's and 100% humidity in hurricane alley).
With lower outside temperatures you are heating the battery too, even while parked - that you cannot (and do not) want to turn off.

As previously mentioned Lo, Fan manual, Recirculate off is the only way that at least seems to work as a "vent". Though @Lloyd response makes me wonder if it's just a placebo. Oh well, I can always open the sunroof.

I can feel the OP's pain. It appears that with the current "storm" that is supposed to hit tonight I will probably have to turn off my A/C too.

I noticed 100+ jump with HVAC Off at around 14F doing 65MPH. It gets cold FAST though.
I can't imagine the jump would have been that high, when it was in the 50's, I was getting 230, so I doubt I'd get 130 if I turned off/down the heat ;)

Reactions: gt2690b