Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a video for replacing the charge port door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been diagnosing the charge port door issues on my 2017 MX for the past few days, and I'm pretty sure my charge port door needs to be replaced (not the actual charge port itself).

This is based on info from:

Charge port makes 4 clicks when opening before pin retracts...
No charge port lights at all, changed charge port, no difference
Charge port door sensor fault

I already confirmed from the Tesla catalog that the part I need (thanks to a reply from one of the threads above) is:
1038548-00-I, ASSY, MOTORIZED CHARGEPORT DOOR, SAE

and probably around $100 (haven't checked the actual price with SC yet).

However, I cannot find an actual guide or video on how to do it for a MX.
One of the threads above shows how to do it for a MS, and I also found a youtube video for MS as well.
But none for MX.

I even tried searching for just MX tail light replacement in hopes that at least that would get me as far as removing the trunk trim, but did not have any luck.

Does anyone know where to find instructions specific to the MX?

I was not able to find a video reference after multiple searches but found steps at service.tesla.com. You can sign up for a free account to access the manual. That said, I had a ranger replace mine last week because the final steps reference calibration using Toolbox 3. I am capable of the mechanical portion but was unwilling to purchase Toolbox software for 3k. Part was $85 and labor was $210.

I was not able to find a video reference after multiple searches but found steps at service.tesla.com. You can sign up for a free account to access the manual. That said, I had a ranger replace mine last week because the final steps reference calibration using Toolbox 3. I am capable of the mechanical portion but was unwilling to purchase Toolbox software for 3k. Part was $85 and labor was $210.
I am in the same situation but I replaced the charge port door in my 2015 MS85D and did not know it needed to be calibrated afterward and it broke within two weeks. If the Toolbox 3 was "purchase", that may be ok but that is just a subscription. $165 for a day, $500 for a month, and $3k for a year. I wish they can discount that for DIYers but that is just wishful thinking.

Attachments

• ChargeDoor.jpg
    ChargeDoor.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 137
I took charge port door off today for cleaning and re-aligning. It would always scrub against panels and leave open on most occacions. Had to push it fully closed manually. Too bad I saw this thread after I put the whole thing back together, otherwise would have gotten pictures about the process.

It is relatively easy in my opinion:
- remove carpeting/coverings to gain access to charge port from inside. Remove 4 bolts at its corners. If I remember right its T30 (torx) bolts. You don't need to remove charge port all together but pull it a bit inside the car so it doesn't get in the way when removing the door. It is easy to drop those 4 bolts inside the car, be cautious. You also need a long extension on your screwdriver/whatever tool you are using.
- remove left taillight. Held on with two 8mm nuts at rear and one bolt near charge port. Very easy to lose them (forever) inside the panels. Tail light has a connector between these nuts, it comes off easily. Pull the light back directly until it is loose from the bodywork, then pay attention to charge port door and move the whole assembly accordingly. It comes off in one way and goes in the reverse way. There is some loose wire between port and its connector. Connector and wires are stuffed between body panels. Charge port door is attached to the tail light housing with 3 torx-head bolts. Propably T25. There is little room to move the port around if you just loosen these screws. Connector has a red locking mechanism on it, you need to pry it open from the other side with small flathead screwdriver.

I am in the same situation but I replaced the charge port door in my 2015 MS85D and did not know it needed to be calibrated afterward and it broke within two weeks. If the Toolbox 3 was "purchase", that may be ok but that is just a subscription. $165 for a day, $500 for a month, and $3k for a year. I wish they can discount that for DIYers but that is just wishful thinking.
That's odd. I do not see anything about it needing to be calibrated in the service docs.