Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a voice command "Turn Fog Lights on" that works?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is probably no harm to leave the fog light option on all the time. On the road, I notice more than half of the Teslas actually have fog lights on when their headlight is on, regardless of the weather condition. The fog lights are not that glaring to my eyes - they are weaker than the LED headlights that are on almost all new cars now.

My car was delivered to me with fog light option turned on from the factory. I guess many owners didn't bother to change the setting and this is probably the reason why there are so many Teslas with fog lights on.
I love the Tesla fog lights, they have a nice wide pattern that illuminates the road periphery fairly well. It's also true that they seem to cause little or no annoyance to other drivers. I leave them turned on all the time (ie they activate with the headlights).

N B. beware of the current crop of aftermarket fogs with sequential turn-signalling functionality. The description of these often claim that they are brighter than the Tesla factory fog lights - I was very skeptical of this, and my skepticism was confirmed when a friend of mine installed them on his M3P. It's a decent amount of engineering that goes into the design of a well-controlled and well-distributed beam pattern; these aftermarket units may be better than nothing but they don't provide nearly the road-illumination Improvement that the factory units do. I would say you should buy them if you like the sequential turn-signal action and you don't really care about the lighting performance, or if you have an M3 Standard Range that doesn't have fog lights at all.​

I have also noticed in the forums here, that there are a number of messages from the UK seeming to imply that the use of fog lights in non-foggy conditions is either illegal there, or at least very bad road etiquette. I was a little confused by this, but I believe they were talking about rear fog lamps, essentially those extra-bright auxiliary taillights that are not really common in the USA ( though perhaps they should be).

I have also noticed in the forums here, that there are a number of messages from the UK seeming to imply that the use of fog lights in non-foggy conditions is either illegal there, or at least very bad road etiquette. I was a little confused by this, but I believe they were talking about rear fog lamps, essentially those extra-bright auxiliary taillights that are not really common in the USA ( though perhaps they should be).
I think it's true for both front and rear foglights in most of Europe

I was hopeful but testing this today, it opened the large Controls panel. From there it takes taps in 2 places to open the Lights panel and turn on Fog lights.

Is there a voice command to directly open the Lights panel? I tried various commands but no luck.
Are you not on v11 software, then? When you touch the Car button. v11 brings up what used to be called Quick Controls; the fog-lamp buttons are on that.

Are you not on v11 software, then? When you touch the Car button. v11 brings up what used to be called Quick Controls; the fog-lamp buttons are on that.

Yes, V11 (2022.8.2.5). U.S. Model 3 with front Fog lights.

To be specific: The Car button brings up a large panel of controls, starting with a section with headlights, but no Fog lights. Tap the Lights subpanel to access Fog lights.

Pulling the left stalk to flash your brights opens a small Lights panel near the bottom of the screen that does have a Fog lights button. (I prefer controls that are reachable with a hand braced on the bottom of the screen.)

Which panel is called "Quick Controls"?

Have you tried Show Trips Settings ?
Yes. When I wrote that, back on April 7,
"Show trips settings"
"Show trip settings"
"Show trips"
"Show trip"
"Show odometer"
all didn't work. The reply was either "Command not understood." or "This command is not available yet." (I don't remember which), even though what I spoke was precisely understood and correctly echoed back to the display.

However, after recently having been updated to software version 2022.12.1, all of the above commands will bring up the Trips panel.

In keeping with the original topic, "Turn on fog lights" or "Fog lights on" still gives "This command is not available yet."

Big Fail on this; not only does the voice command not work (turns on dome lights for me), but fog light button is buried 3 clicks deep in the menu maze.

Tesla needs to stop designing the interface like it’s a desktop or tablet app, and instead like it’s a vehicle console (or spaceship cockpit, if the former isn’t sexy enough): anything you’d ever need to interact with while in motion, easily accessible on the main screen.
I once had a class with an human factors engineer who showed us the switch he designed for the lunar modules. It had to be easily accessible, certain to be on when switched and not possible to accidentally engage. Seems like what we need for some key switches. His was in a small well and required two fingers to turn 1/4 turn. Done at the wrong time the crew dies, so it was a crucial one to get right. Voice command is cool, except when it disappears when we need it.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
I once had a class with an human factors engineer who showed us the switch he designed for the lunar modules. It had to be easily accessible, certain to be on when switched and not possible to accidentally engage. Seems like what we need for some key switches. His was in a small well and required two fingers to turn 1/4 turn. Done at the wrong time the crew dies, so it was a crucial one to get right. Voice command is cool, except when it disappears when we need it.
This is the same reason airplane cockpits have such a bewildering array of differently shaped buttons and levers .. it was long ago realized that pilots identifying controls in this way was MUCH more reliable (and hence safer) than using lots of identical controls distinguished only by labels (or even color). And the more vital the control, the more pronounced the difference.

This is the same reason airplane cockpits have such a bewildering array of differently shaped buttons and levers .. it was long ago realized that pilots identifying controls in this way was MUCH more reliable (and hence safer) than using lots of identical controls distinguished only by labels (or even color). And the more vital the control, the more pronounced the difference.
Tesla could really learn from some of these engineers. And it’s not just planes.

A lot of fanboys defend the new S/X having no stalks by citing Ferrari - but take a look at the wheel below

4581_1044x.jpg

No two buttons have the same shape, and distinct functions are generally located separately. Everything on that wheel can be identified without looking at it. If you’re going to have things like turn signals on the steering wheel, you need to be able to identify it without fail.

Does it break the law not being able to quickly and effectively turn on fog lights? A question for the lawyers and one which I think in time they will definitely be looking at.
But what is patently obvious is that it is dumb and the solution is, I am going to suggest, stupid simple : Press voice button: say something (anything at all) with the words FOG and ON and fog lights come on. Anything with the words FOG and OFF and .....you get the idea.
I could be wrong but presumably there is a look up table with control words and control actions, plus translations and some QA not an awful lot of time later its done. Yes I know that's a terrible simplification but as I said this is dumb.

Does it break the law not being able to quickly and effectively turn on fog lights? A question for the lawyers and one which I think in time they will definitely be looking at.
But what is patently obvious is that it is dumb and the solution is, I am going to suggest, stupid simple : Press voice button: say something (anything at all) with the words FOG and ON and fog lights come on. Anything with the words FOG and OFF and .....you get the idea.
I could be wrong but presumably there is a look up table with control words and control actions, plus translations and some QA not an awful lot of time later its done. Yes I know that's a terrible simplification but as I said this is dumb.
Voice commands will not work when there is no cell signal for internet connection. On a mountain where fog can come and go, cell signal is usually very spotty.

I'm just wondering if it is possible for Tesla to add some gestures to the scroll wheels on the steering wheel/yoke, such as: push both scroll wheels left or right in the same direction for turn signal, push both scroll wheels outwards for fog light, push both inwards for high beam.

Voice commands will not work when there is no cell signal for internet connection. On a mountain where fog can come and go, cell signal is usually very spotty.

I'm just wondering if it is possible for Tesla to add some gestures to the scroll wheels on the steering wheel/yoke, such as: push both scroll wheels left or right in the same direction for turn signal, push both scroll wheels outwards for fog light, push both inwards for high beam