Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a voice command "Turn Fog Lights on" that works?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla touchscreen wiper controls land driver with fine after crash 5 August 2020

Tesla's touchscreen car controls should be treated as a distracting electronic device, a German court has decided.
A driver found himself facing a road ban after being involved in a crash in the rain.
The Tesla automatically started its wipers - but manually controlling the speed was done through the large central touchscreen, rather than a lever on the steering wheel.
The driver was punished under the same rules as using a phone while driving.
The Tesla Model 3 automatically adjusts the speed of the wipers depending on how heavy its sensors believe the rain is.
It can be switched on and off from the steering wheel, but adjusting the interval needs to be done on the touchscreen.

In this case, the driver had to navigate software menus and then choose from one of five settings, after touching an icon.
The accident occurred last year. This latest judgement came on 27 March this year, but has only recently come to light after being picked up by a German-language legal blog.

Screen distraction​

The local court in Karlsruhe said the driver veered out of his lane while distracted with the console, driving into an embankment and some trees.
Despite acknowledging that the Tesla setup required "significantly more attention from the driver" than a traditional lever setup, it put the onus on the driver to keep their eyes on the road.

The Tesla's built-in touchscreen was, the court decided, an electronic device under the law designed to combat mobile phone use, which also mentioned touchscreens.
Those rules say that devices can only be used while driving if it amounts to a brief glance - and the driver must account for road conditions, traffic, visibility and weather.

After being handed a one-month ban and a €200 (£180) fine, the driver complained to the higher regional court. Windscreen wiper control was, he argued, a safety-related feature that he needed to access.
The higher court disagreed, backing the first judgement. Whether or not the screen was a permanent part of the car was irrelevant, it decided - and it did not matter why the driver was looking at a touchscreen while driving, only that he did so.
Tesla did not respond to a request for comment.

• Informative
Reactions: OxBrew and Boza
I have tried several times to use the voice command, "turn fog lights on", or "Fog lights on", only to get a message stating, " this feature is not available yet".

Am I just using the wrong voice command? or is this seeming simple feature just something that has illuded the software programming folks at Tesla?
I think the easiest way at present is to say Show Controls (which brings up the (Quick) Controls window; then you can tap the Fog Lights button. Not that I find fog light to be of much use.

I have tried several times to use the voice command, "turn fog lights on", or "Fog lights on", only to get a message stating, " this feature is not available yet".

Am I just using the wrong voice command? or is this seeming simple feature just something that has illuded the software programming folks at Tesla?
New Tesla MYP owner; How do you use voice command? 😬

I think the easiest way at present is to say Show Controls (which brings up the (Quick) Controls window; then you can tap the Fog Lights button.

I was hopeful but testing this today, it opened the large Controls panel. From there it takes taps in 2 places to open the Lights panel and turn on Fog lights.

Is there a voice command to directly open the Lights panel? I tried various commands but no luck.

Big Fail on this; not only does the voice command not work (turns on dome lights for me), but fog light button is buried 3 clicks deep in the menu maze.

Tesla needs to stop designing the interface like it’s a desktop or tablet app, and instead like it’s a vehicle console (or spaceship cockpit, if the former isn’t sexy enough): anything you’d ever need to interact with while in motion, easily accessible on the main screen.
Agreed, I love a lot of things about this car, but the UI is not one of them. The UI feels like it was designed by people who have never driven.

In my mind the simplest gesture while keeping the aesthetic they’re going for would be to have the light indicators on the left hand side respond to touch. Colored when on, grayed out when off. I would prefer a dial or stalk, but I know that’s not Tesla’s way.

I was hopeful but testing this today, it opened the large Controls panel. From there it takes taps in 2 places to open the Lights panel and turn on Fog lights.

Is there a voice command to directly open the Lights panel? I tried various commands but no luck.
Sorry, my response was wrong - I thought the fogs were on the Controls menu. Yes, to open the Lights panel, say "Show Light Settings". You can show any Settings panel like that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
Yes, to open the Lights panel, say "Show Light Settings". You can show any Settings panel like that.

Excellent! And "Show Lights Controls" also works. Several of the other panels work, but "Show Charging Settings" tries and does nothing.

I'm trying to memorize voice commands. (They seem less intuitive and consistent than Unix commands.)

Excellent! And "Show Lights Controls" also works. Several of the other panels work, but "Show Charging Settings" tries and does nothing.

I'm trying to memorize voice commands. (They seem less intuitive and consistent than Unix commands.)
Pfft if they were Unix commands “show control screen” would be “mfrg -c —screen --view > /dev/con4”

Was looking for these recently - I was the passenger - and it was painful since I'm not left-handed (moving and with my nondominant hand). It would be nice to have things like this on the app if passengers could help, or if you could use the Tesla app with voice commands.

I'm not sure. The quote refers to a mounted hand held device.

Under the picture it says this: Police say multiple touches on a mounted cellphone or handheld device while driving is illegal under Manitoba's distracted driving laws. So, maybe the direct reference to "mounted hand held device" is getting around the law. Open for interpretation I suppose but may have to be proven in court.
Not a Canadian attorney, but the center console is not a mounted handheld device. Never intended for handheld use and it sure as hell ain't a cellphone.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lonewulf45
There is probably no harm to leave the fog light option on all the time. On the road, I notice more than half of the Teslas actually have fog lights on when their headlight is on, regardless of the weather condition. The fog lights are not that glaring to my eyes - they are weaker than the LED headlights that are on almost all new cars now.

My car was delivered to me with fog light option turned on from the factory. I guess many owners didn't bother to change the setting and this is probably the reason why there are so many Teslas with fog lights on.