Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is there a way for tesla to upgrade seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news bad news.

Good news is a new optional seat is coming.

Bad news is it's a trim level:

hellokitty.jpg

At least they won't have to skin as many Vegans to make these seats.

Last edited:
Tobash

what do you like about the ventilated seats? The non ventilated looks more comfortable and also more durable. I see a lot of tearing and peeling on the ventilated seats.

They are physically cooler and cause less sweat IMHO, and when I turn on the A/C they allow the A/C to keep my back and thighs and butt cooler. Pre-conditioning the car makes cooling most noticeable. You actually feel the cooled air from the seat. Without A/C they seem to breathe better. It's like leather that also has the ability to breathe like fabric because of the interstices.

I see others have posted about ventilated leather flaking, but I have noticed that is mostly with white seats. I think the treated leather of the white seats is stiffer and more fragile. I could be wrong about that but I always think white leather is always a mistake. It yellows and cracks more noticeably IMHO. Making leather white requires bleaching the leather as well as impregnating it with more dye.Just compare white and black sneakers. The leather feels and behaves differently. I know Tesla pushed white seats aggressively, saying they would not discolor, but I never believed it. My black seats have scant almost unnoticeable wrinkling, but have not yet cracked or torn. Over time all seats tear, but so far I have been happy. I drive the car almost daily, and have done so for its entire life since July, 2017. I usually wear jeans, which is a rougher fabric. I am not especially hard on the car, but I also don't baby it with seat covers and such. I don't use cleaners on the seats, and I don't use leather conditioner either...never have.

Last edited:
They are physically cooler and cause less sweat IMHO, and when I turn on the A/C they allow the A/C to keep my back and thighs and butt cooler. Pre-conditioning the car makes cooling most noticeable. You actually feel the cooled air from the seat. Without A/C they seem to breathe better. It's like leather that also has the ability to breathe like fabric because of the interstices.

I see others have posted about ventilated leather flaking, but I have noticed that is mostly with white seats. I think the treated leather of the white seats is stiffer and more fragile. I could be wrong about that but I always think white leather is always a mistake. It yellows and cracks more noticeably IMHO. Making leather white requires bleaching the leather as well as impregnating it with more dye.Just compare white and black sneakers. The leather feels and behaves differently. I know Tesla pushed white seats aggressively, saying they would not discolor, but I never believed it. My black seats have scant almost unnoticeable wrinkling, but have not yet cracked or torn. Over time all seats tear, but so far I have been happy. I drive the car almost daily, and have done so for its entire life since July, 2017. I usually wear jeans, which is a rougher fabric. I am not especially hard on the car, but I also don't baby it with seat covers and such. I don't use cleaners on the seats, and I don't use leather conditioner either...never have.
i kinda like the vegan seats because the yare more durable and i seen on some used tesla model x for sale the black leather seats are not new condition but the 2018 vegan seats look like brand new

Over time all seats tear
Not if you maintain them properly. I'm not talking about "leather conditioner" from Walmart. I use the cleaning cream and moisturising creme (sounds like a bloody tv advert, sorry for that) from the company that supplies Aston Martin and Jaguar's vintage restoration department. Can't remember what the name of that stuff is but I found it on eBay.
That stuff is tha bomb. It has kept the leather of my 2001 Audi A8 soft and smooth as a babies bottom. Looks like new.
The trick is to NOT let the leather dry out. Ever. I go over the entire interior twice a year. That moisturising creme needs a day to dry so pick a day where you know you won't drive or have a "sticky butt" and start over. Totally worth it.

Not if you maintain them properly. I'm not talking about "leather conditioner" from Walmart. I use the cleaning cream and moisturising creme (sounds like a bloody tv advert, sorry for that) from the company that supplies Aston Martin and Jaguar's vintage restoration department. Can't remember what the name of that stuff is but I found it on eBay.
That stuff is tha bomb. It has kept the leather of my 2001 Audi A8 soft and smooth as a babies bottom. Looks like new.
The trick is to NOT let the leather dry out. Ever. I go over the entire interior twice a year. That moisturising creme needs a day to dry so pick a day where you know you won't drive or have a "sticky butt" and start over. Totally worth it.
too much work though

is it better to get the 2018 tesla model x or should i get a 2017 and get the vegan seats from tesla