Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to add DRLs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure the best place to post this.

Got my 2014 CPO in October w/o the tech package - which I am totally happy with, but I really miss the daytime running lights - I love the look of them. (Honestly, I didn't realize I wasn't getting them but oh well)

Does anyone know whether if it's possible to have them added / add them myself? I've searched a bunch but haven't found any info. Thanks!

I asked this question to tesla once, when I was looking at a CPO that did not have them, and was told that it would require completely new headlight housings and a new wiring harness, and would likely cost upwards of $5000 out the door. Of cource, Tesla does not like doing stuff like this, so they probably bid a bit high. If the DRL are a must have, I would recommend getting a CPO that has the tech package.

I asked this question to tesla once, when I was looking at a CPO that did not have them, and was told that it would require completely new headlight housings and a new wiring harness, and would likely cost upwards of $5000 out the door. Of cource, Tesla does not like doing stuff like this, so they probably bid a bit high. If the DRL are a must have, I would recommend getting a CPO that has the tech package.

Thanks. They are def not needed that bad. I already decided when/if I get another CPO, I will make sure it has them, don't worry, lol!

Wonder if you get the upgraded headlights from user @ucsbwsr
Would those have drl's even though you don't have the tech package.

I actually wondered if that were an option myself though I didn't look to see who was selling some yet. I mean, the
14919405909601047538264.jpg
spot is there for them.

By "daytime running lights" do you mean those dim lights that are less than the headlights? I just always run with the headlights on. I suppose not everyone agrees, but I think it's always safer to leave the headlights on. I travel to Canada frequently, and there I think the law is that you must keep the headlights on. It's certainly encouraged, if not required.

By "daytime running lights" do you mean those dim lights that are less than the headlights? I just always run with the headlights on. I suppose not everyone agrees, but I think it's always safer to leave the headlights on. I travel to Canada frequently, and there I think the law is that you must keep the headlights on. It's certainly encouraged, if not required.

No, sorry, I mean the LED 'eyebrow' that outline the headlights.

Yep, since 1990 our vehicles have had DRL mandated. The nosecone Model S uses the CFL headlight surround for DRL but oddly my refresh one uses the LED lights in the middle of the bezel. Weird

That is sooooo weird.

I had no idea that all cars did not have them. I live near Silicon Valley, where they are everywhere and I see them every day, and I have never seen one without them on. I am positive that I would have noticed.

Am I that unaware?

I wish they did, I thought mine was going to, it really is a signature of the car and even beyond safety, you would think Tesla would want all their cars to have them.

do you guys not have parking lights option on the main panel and when activated the LED strips are illuminated?

Some car's just didn't come with the strip at all. Im pretty sure they can activate their parking lamps but no LED strip will illuminate at all. That's why they would need to buy entire new headlight that actually has the LED strip included.

I wish they did, I thought mine was going to, it really is a signature of the car and even beyond safety, you would think Tesla would want all their cars to have them.
The car is a true beauty on her own. But I think the DRLs make the look. Like a woman with long natural lovely eyelashes.

Even though they are called eyebrows on the inside...